Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways To Improve Fantasy Premier League

Options
  • 21-12-2014 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

It's a great game as it is, which is evidenced by the fact that all of us on this forum spend way too much time thinking about and playing it :pac: but everything can be improved.

With that in mind, I'm just wondering what changes you would make (if you had the opportunity) that you feel would improve the game?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

1. Remove the vice captain.
    2. Award points to midfielders for tackles (1 point for every 3 successful tackles or something like that.)
    3. Allow 1 week where you can save 2 free transfers thereby having 3 free transfers for just the 1 gameweek per season.
    4. And offer better prizes FFS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Skippy44

Good topic Paully!

I would like to see the effect of jammy or random vice captains somewhat negated, a vice captain coming into play should only score 1.5 x his matchday score (rounded up or down as fpl hierarchy see fit) instead of the current scenario.

For example, someone who captained Gylfi today and vc'd Charlie Austin will benefit as if Austin was their original choice when they made a conscious decision to make him second choice to Siggy. That should be reflected and not rewarded 100% in their scores imo. Instead of Austin's 34 they should be given (and be happy with) 17 x 1.5 equalling 25 or 26.

Disclaimer. I haven't checked my leagues so this is not a biased rant :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Yeah there deffo needs to be more points for DMs. No incentive to pick a DM at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

1. Give extra points for hattricks

2.Give extra points to the players I own:D

Seriously - the rules are the rules and the game is as fair as it can be.

More rules = more rules. I hate rules:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Yeah there deffo needs to be more points for DMs. No incentive to pick a DM at all.

You get an extra point every time you score? Incentive? Most play 3-4-3 anyway:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

2x for captain is probably the least logical aspect of the scoring system - hard to change now though because its become an accepted part of the game. But it adds too much of a random luck aspect I think, 1.5x would be far better.

If we are mirroring the actual reallife game then it should be remembered that captain has never been critically important in football anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

if i could make ONE change it would probably to increase squad size (and budget, accordingly) from 15 to 18 players, ie. the same squad size clubs actually have on match day

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

manual_man wrote: »
    if i could make ONE change it would probably to increase squad size (and budget, accordingly) from 15 to 18 players, ie. the same squad size clubs actually have on match day

Wouldn't that just add more hassle to team selection though?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

jebforever wrote: »
    Wouldn't that just add more hassle to team selection though?

a little more thought would be required alright...

but that for me is a good thing, a little more differentiation is needed i.m.o., without throwing out the whole structure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

Don't like the bonus points system. It does not reflect the reality of who played well in games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Allowing a 2-5-3 formation.

So many good options in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

The flag system is flawed in my opinion.

For example, Austin got suspended for one match = red flag. Standard.
    However, on change of his red flag directly to green flag his price is 'frozen', his price cannot change regardless of transfers in/out for (I think) 8 days following this flag change.
    He is now being transferred in by the truckload after his hat-trick but his price will not change until the time period following red flag is up.
    This unfairly manipulates his price - instead of being minimum 6.2 during early days of this gameweek and nearly doubling ownership, his price will still be 6.0.

Di Maria was injured for a few weeks = red flag. Standard.
    His red flag got changed recently to yellow before going green yesterday so any transfers in/out count straight away! If he had also scored heavily yesterday then his price would be going up in the same period as Austins price is 'frozen'.

Also, a flagged player could have enough transfers out to be more than half way to a price drop.
    If this player then goes from red to yellow flagged, the transfers out requirement changes enough for him to be due a price drop on the night of the flag change - example Courtois last week, Silva the week before etc.
    But if a players red or yellow flag goes to green then his transfers out amount is reset to nought with no pricedrop. eg Pelle yesterday.

The flag system is necessary, but as it works currently it unfairly manipulates a players price in certain scenarios and it should be improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭G1032

Remove vice captain option.
    Remove January WC option.
    1.5x for captain.
    Give players exact information on when price rises / drops are going to happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

18 man squad and no weekly transfers allowed except when the window is open in Aug and Jan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Only something small but what about a POTM system by where if you have had a player for the full month in which he wins POTM, he would start with maybe 5 points in the first game of the following month?

For example, Sakho won the October player of the month. If I had him in my team for ALL of October then I would be awarded maybe 5 points along with his match score in his first game in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Markx

Don't penalise players for own goals, but do penalise players for conceding penalties.

The thinking is that own goals are more often that not a result of bad luck rather than bad play and vice-versa for giving away penalties.

Tugboats wrote: »
    18 man squad and no weekly transfers allowed except when the window is open in Aug and Jan.

From a more serious players point of view less transfers has its appeal but it is not realistic.
    The game works so well because it is appealing to so many more casual fans who can make a transfer or more every week.
    I think the idea of the Ultimate version of the game was to cater for more serious players with bigger squads planning etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

That's basically ufpl

No captains and no wildcards. Make it about picking the best team and not getting lucky or just being good at copying someone else's team!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It's worth noting that some of the things nominated for the chopping board so far are things that have been introduced to 'improve' the game over the last couple of years:

- Vice captain
    - January wildcard
    - Statistics-based bonus points

I agree with the first two, particularly the VC - I really dislike it and the jammy luck it brings people (see Aguero VCs versus Spurs earlier in the season when Costa didn't make the Chelsea game). I've come around to the new BPs system - when it was first introduced it was terrible, but it has improved. I like being able to track the points during a game, it adds transparency.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

jimmii wrote: »
    That's basically ufpl

Had to look that up. Didn't even know it existed. Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

What about a money for points rule? Say on a given week I wanted to bring in a player but I was 0.1m short for making that transfer. I could then sacrifice 8 or 10 points from my match week score to get that extra 0.1m for that week and transfer alone. Similar to a points it which is -4 but it would have to cost you to get the extra bit of cash too. I wonder would people do it if they wanted a player bad enough.

Bonus points will never be universally agreeable but the way it is now is at least reasonably transparent and removes any perceived bias towards players. It does benefit some players more than others but thats the nature of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Captaincy is fine as it is. Its one of the most rewarding and/or frustrating parts of the game.

I'd be for no Jan WC but you can accumulate transfers as much as you want.

Had to look that up. Didn't even know it existed. Cheers

They pushed it a good bit at the start of the season and there's a decent thread about it going on here. Much more enjoyable game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,003 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The flag system is flawed in my opinion.

For example, Austin got suspended for one match = red flag. Standard.
    However, on change of his red flag directly to green flag his price is 'frozen', his price cannot change regardless of transfers in/out for (I think) 8 days following this flag change.
    He is now being transferred in by the truckload after his hat-trick but his price will not change until the time period following red flag is up.
    This unfairly manipulates his price - instead of being minimum 6.2 during early days of this gameweek and nearly doubling ownership, his price will still be 6.0.

Di Maria was injured for a few weeks = red flag. Standard.
    His red flag got changed recently to yellow before going green yesterday so any transfers in/out count straight away! If he had also scored heavily yesterday then his price would be going up in the same period as Austins price is 'frozen'.

Also, a flagged player could have enough transfers out to be more than half way to a price drop.
    If this player then goes from red to yellow flagged, the transfers out requirement changes enough for him to be due a price drop on the night of the flag change - example Courtois last week, Silva the week before etc.
    But if a players red or yellow flag goes to green then his transfers out amount is reset to nought with no pricedrop. eg Pelle yesterday.

The flag system is necessary, but as it works currently it unfairly manipulates a players price in certain scenarios and it should be improved.

This is the only one of the suggestions put forward so far that I agree with. I'm clearly a blatant FPL fanboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I know that it's probably too subjective and more bother than it's worth to enforce, but I'd personally like them to look at the assist system and what constitutes an assist.

Currently you can have Player A pass the ball to someone in their own half, while Player B runs past 5 or 6 players before smashing the ball into the net with Player A receiving an assist. That's not as assist for me (well technically it is, but you know what I mean) but then you're left with the question of "what actually is an assist?".

As I said, too subjective and more bother than it's worth to enforce, but there's quite a few assists awarded that aren't actually assists IMO, but maybe that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,518 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Its largely fine as is imo, over complicating things will mean the more casual player loses interest. Keeping it simple should be a priority

As mentioned already a lot of the things people are looking for here exist in Ultimate FPL. Large squad, no free transfers, no bonus points, points for things like blocks and clearances, no vice capt (it exists but rarely used). Ultimate needs some tweaks for sure but is a game with a lot more potential for the serious player.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I've always hated the January wildcard. One a season is enough IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Captaincy is fine as it is. Its one of the most rewarding and/or frustrating parts of the game.

I'd be for no Jan WC but you can accumulate transfers as much as you want.

The captaincy is actually the one thing I would change. There's too much value in picking the right captain and it's the element of your team choice for the gw that's most down to blind luck. If there are several evenly matched valid captain options as with this week its pure chance which one scores 17 and which scores 2.

But the reward/punishment for being on the right or wrong side of the 50/50 call is huge. I know it should even out over a season but it may not. No matter how much thought you put into having a strong 15, rotation, balance, form players etc if you get a run of bad luck in marginal captain calls you're goosed.

I'd possibly favour a format where you can change your captain during the gw to someone who hasn't played. Think you can do this in UFPL? Even if you could only do it a limited number of times, or for a points hits of some kind it would make it more interesting and less punitive if your close call is a bust. Would also favour dedicated players. ....so will never happen.

Agree about the no second wildcard but banking unlimited transfers though. That's a great idea, however the Jan WC I imagine is there to try and stop casuals giving up when they have a xmas disaster and again will not change.

Advertisement