Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Including nuts in diet.

Options
  • 20-12-2014 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all,

I really hate nuts but I know they are beneficial and I should include them in my diet. I have been stewing apple and adding ground almonds or hazelnuts and I'm okay with this, but does anyone have any other ideas, please?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Don't eat nuts if you don't like them, there's nothing in them you can't get from elsewhere in your diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I used to dislike nuts but then I started buying those bags of mixed nuts and leaving them in a bowl in the kitchen. When I was preparing food I often ate a nut and over time developed a real liking to them. The weird thing is that I start getting preferences for different types of nuts at different times. For example I currently love the almonds and eat them first but I've gone off the walnuts. I have a perception that nuts are very good for you and for the most part they are not processed, I hope I am right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

you could be allergic to nuts ,some nuts are bad like peanuts,

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Ealasaid

Thanks for the replies.
    I used to dislike nuts but then I started buying those bags of mixed nuts and leaving them in a bowl in the kitchen. When I was preparing food I often ate a nut and over time developed a real liking to them. The weird thing is that I start getting preferences for different types of nuts at different times. For example I currently love the almonds and eat them first but I've gone off the walnuts. I have a perception that nuts are very good for you and for the most part they are not processed, I hope I am right.

I've tried this but without success, maybe I'll have another go, I'm sure they are meant to be good for us but as El_Dangeroso says maybe they're not particularly....aargh healthy eating is so confusing!!

Braddun - I'm not allergic to nuts, I just don't like them. Although I did used to love salted peanuts and those nuts with chocolate on, chocolate brazils or something...hardly healthy eating though which is what I'm trying to aim for...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Ealasaid wrote: »
    I've tried this but without success, maybe I'll have another go, I'm sure they are meant to be good for us but as El_Dangeroso says maybe they're not particularly....aargh healthy eating is so confusing!!

Don't get me wrong they're not bad for you. They're just not mandatory in a healthy eating plan.

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong they're not bad for you. They're just not mandatory in a healthy eating plan.

Ah no, I realise you weren't saying they were bad...I just had got the wrong idea that they were 'necessary' and I'm actually pleased to know that they're not!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Perhaps jsut try them in different cuisine and see how you get on? Often you may not like an ingredient but like it in a dish, so add it to things you already eat, completely change how they taste.

For instance you can make nuts into butter or sauces or fake cheese and so on:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/leonoraepstein/vegan-cheeses-that-will-make-you-forget-about-the-real-th#.uqqGwjEJm
    You can make them into a lot of things and you would have no idea they are nuts.
    Obviously you want to watch what you make them into if you are trying to eat a certain way.

Me and my 1kg bags of cashews still refuse to believe that anybody could resist them after you thrown them in the oven for 15 mins. :D

Great thanks, Tar.Aldarion. I just remembered about cashews and that I do actually like these and was wondering about nut butters too so maybe I won't give up just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I use cashew or hazelnut butters (http://www.meridianfoods.co.uk/index.asp?selection=Our%20products&pd=Speciality%20Nut%20Butters). I add them to smoothies, spread over apple or pear slices, on oat cakes and use them to make sauces for meat/chicken dishes.

The hazelnut one tastes like Ferrero Roche. A small spoonful is great if you have a sugar craving. ;)

Some good ideas there, Meauldsegosha. I wouldn't have thought to add them to smoothies.

As for the one tasting like Ferrero Roche, I'd not be able to stick at a 'small spoonful'..

• Advertisement
Advertisement