Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

Racing Post ‏@RacingPost 7m7 minutes ago
    Davy Condon given a 15-day suspension and a fine of £3,150 for breaking the whip rules on Bayan in the Ladbroke Hurdle at Ascot

STD got 4 days for using the whip 10 times after the last.

hefty ban for Condon

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

a lot of the winning rides on these highest profile races are being hit with bans

Aspell for Hennessy ride
    Doyle for Champion Stakes win

and now Condon

Bit ridiculous that the horse or connections get no fine, if the jockey did not use his whip above the permitted rules, whose to say they would have still won?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

faoile@n wrote: »
    Sam done absolutely nothing wrong there.

Zarkandar isn't a strong stayer and he done everything he could.

There must be a fee pocket talkers in here.

You are contradicting yourself there, you say he did everything he could and Zarkandar is not a strong stayer.

By Sam asking him for everything as far from home as he did he he forced Zarkandar into a staying battle with a proven stayer. He also didn't seem to react to RDS going by him.

Had nothing on the horse, I don't play at evens or shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭droidman123

ste2010 wrote: »
    I disagree (but then Im not a jockey) if you watch when he passed RDS he shook him up very casually thinking the race was put to bed. If he had of been a bit more aggressive from that point he Would have won the race. Zarkander is a stayer. He even came back at RDS close to the line and would have went on. That to me was a little cocky and he paid the price.. No money on whatsoever..I don't back shorties anymore

I don't think you are giving RDS the credit he deserves regardless of std,s ride on zarkander, you are underestimating how gutsy a horse RDS is.

I don't think you are giving RDS the credit he deserves regardless of std,s ride on zarkander, you are underestimating how gutsy a horse RDS is.

I don't think anyone is knocking the very tough RDS.

If Sam used his brain the result would have been different, lets not forget we are talking a horse who was twice only 6 lengths off the Champion Hurdle winner, the jockey should be riding him with this in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Andalucia wrote: »
    a lot of the winning rides on these highest profile races are being hit with bans

Aspell for Hennessy ride
    Doyle for Champion Stakes win

and now Condon

Bit ridiculous that the horse or connections get no fine, if the jockey did not use his whip above the permitted rules, whose to say they would have still won?

agree 100%, stewards should have the right to overturn results based on overuse of the whip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Not at all its a credit to the horse who has been running very poorly in France recently to do what he did 3 times.
    Delighted for daryo Jacob aswell. Watch the race finish again. Zarkandar was picking up again. He would have won if STD went hammer on thongs on him from the point he shook him up. He thought he had the race in the bag and only began going at it 100% when he seen RDS coming back. I'm not an STD hater, I just think he fluffed his lines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

This rubbish vexes me. Zarkandar was beaten by RDS and perhaps himself but not STD. If STD held onto Zarkandar until the last 100 yards and didnt go by people wouldve been complaining at how Sam should've let the horse go earlier as he shouldve known he wouldn't get by a tough horse like Reve too easily. Sam's an exceptional jockey for his age and has the world in front of him as long as he doesn't listen to armchair jockeys and mugpunters spluttering crap everytime he loses on a fav.

no-one is denying how tough and genuine RDS is, Zarkander is not as tough or genuine, which was why the jockey should have taken this into account

when he kicked on after two out, he needed to make sure he got a good jump at the last, he didn't, it smacked of lack of confidence by the jockey

His riding to me does not indicate an exceptional talent, to my eyes, he is out of his depth in his current position

from the RP

Twiston-Davies said: "He has run a blinder. In hindsight I would have tucked in behind Daryl and waited but I didn't want to get into a battle with Reve De Sivola as I know how tough he is.

"He has idled in front and didn't have time to come back at him."

"I don't blame the jockey," said Zarkandar's owner Chris Giles. "But maybe he would do it differently if he did it again and wait a bit longer.

• Advertisement

This rubbish vexes me. Zarkandar was beaten by RDS and perhaps himself but not STD. If STD held onto Zarkandar until the last 100 yards and didnt go by people wouldve been complaining at how Sam should've let the horse go earlier as he shouldve known he wouldn't get by a tough horse like Reve too easily. Sam's an exceptional jockey for his age and has the world in front of him as long as he doesn't listen to armchair jockeys and mugpunters spluttering crap everytime he loses on a fav.

This only leaves one question are you Willie or Nigel?

Nobody would have said anything if he rode the race and horse correctly, he unnecessarily got him into a battle with a battlehardened stayer and got beaten as a result of it.

Watch the race again, he didn't get really serious with the horse until he was length down, it's like he fell asleep and even though RDS was within touching distance he seemed to miss him coming back at and heading Zarkandar

Andalucia wrote: »
    "He has idled in front and didn't have time to come back at him."

Didn't have time, how long does he need he had a furlong, he cost himself a lot of time riding with his eyes shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭droidman123

ste2010 wrote: »
    Not at all its a credit to the horse who has been running very poorly in France recently to do what he did 3 times.
    Delighted for daryo Jacob aswell. Watch the race finish again. Zarkandar was picking up again. He would have won if STD went hammer on thongs on him from the point he shook him up. He thought he had the race in the bag and only began going at it 100% when he seen RDS coming back. I'm not an STD hater, I just think he fluffed his lines

its actually hard to guage how good or bad a ride std gave zarkander, he was on the bridle for most of the race,situations like that always look bad when the horse doesn't win the race, carberry is a classic at that carry on. I have posted many times on here how carberry was made to look foolish on many occasions,trying to look stylish rather than actually riding the horse. when it comes off it makes the jockey look suberb. I don't know what riding instructions std was given, but what I do know is,even though zarkander beat rds in france means nothing.rds loves this race and ascot. I have to say I hadn't a shilling on rds,which I was sick about because he is one of my favourite modern day horses, but I was surprised at the 13/2 sp. Jacob knew he had a battler under him and fair play to him for a great ride. the otherside of the argument is would another jockey of won on rds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

What a total joke the whip rules are.

Condon must have known a suspension was coming even as he was being interviewed by Rishi. 15 good tears from the second last to the line but sure nobody cares. I was actually waiting at the end of the show for breaking news on the suspension but nothing. Don't know if the C4 team are just so blinkered that they couldn't see what was wrong with that ride, or are they just absolute hypocrites and will be wringing their hands on the morning line next week.

On the Long Walk, is Jacob so unfashionable now that no one will give him a bit of credit for his ride instead of all the focus on STD?

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    On the Long Walk, is Jacob so unfashionable now that no one will give him a bit of credit for his ride instead of all the focus on STD?

It was a very good ride but if STD did what he should have Jacob would have finished second, all credit to Jacob he has done well since the Big Bucks debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ComplyOrDie

Shemale wrote: »
    It was a very good ride but if STD did what he should have Jacob would have finished second, all credit to Jacob he has done well since the Big Bucks debacle.

If's and buts..... Jacob won race . On the day he got from a to b in a quicker time.

If's and buts..... Jacob won race . On the day he got from a to b in a quicker time.

Because of the jockies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Had Zarkandar won, would people be critiquing the ride? General public and most media personalities are basically incapable of analysing something without giving far too much weight to the actual result.

Advertisement