Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my tri bike was stolen

Options
  • 19-12-2014 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭

please share
    my felt b12 was stolen today . colour mainly black and white whit a few touches of red, frame size 58 cm
    Di2 electronical dura ace components ( rotor oval q rings)
    rear wheel FFWD( fast wheel forward 6o mm deep rim also black white red colour scheme powertap hub)
    rear tyre a orange turbo wheel tyre !!!!
    front Miche wheel ( 28 mm deep alu rim also black white red colour scheme
    3t aurora base bars and tri bars
    quite remarkable pink john Cob saddle !!!!! http://www.cobbcycling.com/…/triathlon-saddl…/fifty-five_jof
    unfortunately i dodnt have a proper pic but this configuration would be the only one in ireland
    ?type=1&theater
    ?type=1&theater

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

peter kern wrote: »
    please share
    my felt b12 was stolen today . colour mainly black and white whit a few touches of red, frame size 58 cm
    Di2 electronical dura ace components ( rotor oval q rings)
    rear wheel FFWD( fast wheel forward 6o mm deep rim also black white red colour scheme powertap hub)
    rear tyre a orange turbo wheel tyre !!!!
    front Miche wheel ( 28 mm deep alu rim also black white red colour scheme
    3t aurora base bars and tri bars
    quite remarkable pink john Cob saddle !!!!! http://www.cobbcycling.com/…/triathlon-saddl…/fifty-five_jof
    unfortunately i dodnt have a proper pic but this configuration would be the only one in ireland
    ?type=1&theater?type=1&theater

Sorry to hear that Peter. Where from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

you dodnt want to hear that in front of rathmines swimming pool (dublin) was doing some work on my other bike and had to get 2 spare parts before work and had to use the felt.
    was very well locked but defo not the best place ...

Hope you get it back in one piece. Out on facebook & twitter. Will bang it out again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Sorry to hear. It might be with posting here as well. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056226324
    A few bikes have been reunited with their owners through this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Shared on FB, hope you get it back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Sorry to hear that peter, will certainly keep an eye out west Dublin for you. Worth also alerting some of the bike shops as the scrotes often look to chop parts and frames. Get it onto the stolen bike register as well, if you have frame numbers or coded markings it will help.

I don't know if TI have any way to assist when member's expensive tri gear goes missing? No harm in emailing one of the admins I guess - these bikes won't be sold on to ordinary joes after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Sorry to hear that Peter, will share it also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Shared on FB. Any updates Peter?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Shared on FB. Any updates Peter?

No updates so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Any luck?

Spotted someone on twitter who had bike stolen from same place.

https://twitter.com/MrVincentRyan/status/553469722449424384/photo/1

the issue here seems to be a bit its an absolute bike theft hotspot yet the police knows the cameras outside the pool are not worth nothing
    and nothing is being done.
    Now I am not crying that somebody stole my bike as i made a concious choice to not be influenced by thieves as overall cycling will always be cheaper than owing a car , but its a fact its a hot spot of bike theft and neither the swan centre or the police try to at least put a proper camera out there so they can see what happens.

the issue here seems to be a bit its an absolute bike theft hotspot yet the police knows the cameras outside the pool are not worth nothing
    and nothing is being done.
    Now I am not crying that somebody stole my bike as i made a concious choice to not be influenced by thieves as overall cycling will always be cheaper than owing a car , but its a fact its a hot spot of bike theft and neither the swan centre or the police try to at least put a proper camera out there so they can see what happens.

Not to diminish your lost Peter, but I would say it's to do with liability.

Put cameras up, monitor an area and people get lazy 'I'll be a sec' don't lock bike and then when bike goes blame the camera or owners etc.

It's why bike park stations are few and far between. If I put a bike park outside my shop people would expect me to be responsible for any theft, loss etc. You see it in public car parks, provide parking space, car gets damaged, owner gets sued.

Unfortunately the society we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Sh1t. I'll share. Hope you get it back.

AKW wrote: »
    Not to diminish your lost Peter, but I would say it's to do with liability.

Put cameras up, monitor an area and people get lazy 'I'll be a sec' don't lock bike and then when bike goes blame the camera or owners etc.

It's why bike park stations are few and far between. If I put a bike park outside my shop people would expect me to be responsible for any theft, loss etc. You see it in public car parks, provide parking space, car gets damaged, owner gets sued.

Unfortunately the society we live in.

hm i am not sure if i aggre with what you say.
    in the first place there is a camera (its just no good and if your argument was right than at least take the camera down...)
    Overall its a bit like drafting if the thieves know nothing happens than they are more likely to steal . if they know they would actually do something risky they are less likely to steal.
    and lets not forget i was using a 60 euro plus lock so while not that hard to break its not a cable cutter job.
    From what I see there is a good chance this is a serial thief
    as i have seen a few locks broken in the same way.

i guess the thief is using a pattern ie breaking locks in the darkness ( ie currently likely from 6- 9 pm )
    so i guess if i was to spend a few evennings there and given the fact there is more than 1 bike stolen from this place every week there should be a good chance i find that person. follow that person to their home and then try to see if the guards would do something.
    but again if i could say i followed that person you can see on the video stealing a bike i would have a much better case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

hm i am not sure if i aggre with what you say.
    in the first place there is a camera (its just no good and if your argument was right than at least take the camera down...)
    Overall its a bit like drafting if the thieves know nothing happens than they are more likely to steal . if they know they would actually do something risky they are less likely to steal.
    and lets not forget i was using a 60 euro plus lock so while not that hard to break its not a cable cutter job.
    From what I see there is a good chance this is a serial thief
    as i have seen a few locks broken in the same way.

i guess the thief is using a pattern ie breaking locks in the darkness ( ie currently likely from 6- 9 pm )
    so i guess if i was to spend a few evennings there and given the fact there is more than 1 bike stolen from this place every week there should be a good chance i find that person. follow that person to their home and then try to see if the guards would do something.
    but again if i could say i followed that person you can see on the video stealing a bike i would have a much better case.

I think AKW misread your other posts. I think he thought that there was NOT a camera there already.

Get a nice bike, lock it outside, wait for someone to try and rob it. Lose control of your pet brick..........

Also while the bike thief is a low-life, cvnt, etc etc etc I suspect they are experienced and have at this stage learnt to cover their face while committing crime. Who is to say that the camera footage has not been reviewed and the person could not be identified.

tunney wrote: »
    I think AKW misread your other posts. I think he thought that there was NOT a camera there already.

Get a nice bike, lock it outside, wait for someone to try and rob it. Lose control of your pet brick..........

Yep I did, I read it as camera not there. As Tunney says, could be out, covered face etc.

I like the idea of planting a bike and staking the place out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

AKW wrote: »
    Yep I did, I read it as camera not there. As Tunney says, could be out, covered face etc.

I like the idea of planting a bike and staking the place out.

We did that in work a couple of times. Locked bike (Trek 1.2) with a cheap lock, placed GPS tracker on bike, tracked it back to scrotes house after it was robbed, Gardai recovered bike and dealt with scrote.

tunney wrote: »
    Also while the bike thief is a low-life, cvnt, etc etc etc I suspect they are experienced and have at this stage learnt to cover their face while committing crime. Who is to say that the camera footage has not been reviewed and the person could not be identified.
    when i told the guard re camera , he just laughed at me and told me that camrea is usless and they have told the pool so .

• Advertisement

when i told the guard re camera , he just laughed at me and told me that camrea is usless and they have told the pool so .

Ah so a question of quality and angles then.

griffin100 wrote: »
    We did that in work a couple of times. Locked bike (Trek 1.2) with a cheap lock, placed GPS tracker on bike, tracked it back to scrotes house after it was robbed, Gardai recovered bike and dealt with scrote.
    nice one !!!!!
    which btw i should have done in the first place .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

nice one !!!!!
    which btw i should have done in the first place .
    Did you check with any of the bike shops nearby to see if they have had anybody in to try and sell it? there is a bike shop down the road from the pool and also one on the Harolds Cross road just down from the Hospice entrance.

Not a told you so or anything. But if you would miss your bike it needs to be locked with something like this lock

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭vigos

Thats a serious lock, weighs 3 kilos for that version you linked but worth it if it gives you piece of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

griffin100 wrote:

guards know it was a setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

sweetie wrote: »
    guards know it was a setup?

That's not a set up!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

EC1000 wrote: »
    That's not a set up!

it kinda is, fair fecks to them though. Just wondering whether they told the Guards or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

it kinda is, fair fecks to them though. Just wondering whether they told the Guards or not.

In no way is it a setup. Bike was locked and he choose to break the lock and steal it. Gardai were involved from the start as far as I know and went to his house to recover the bike - we were able to pinpoint it to the shed in his back garden. Don't know if it ever went to court.

On a related note I was surprised at how small the gps trackers were. The one here was disguised as a small rear working light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Surprised the guards did something about it I know of someone who had a lot of camera gear taken from a studio including macs which were tracked using iCloud to a house and guards said they couldn't do a thing. Said door later got a ring from a crowd of a dozen or so people and all gear was swiftly returned.

I know the spot in Rathmines well it's a perfect place for bike thieves to ply their trade.

Has anyone ever seen an internally mounted GPS tracker for bikes? Like one that is found in high end cars.

Advertisement