Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Digest Events 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

These events have the potential to be great, if they were handicap qualifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

I won't be playing any soon, as a show of discontent at Gds reluctance to address certain aspects of these events. If feedback suggests otherwise after the first few events then I'll change my tune, as I've enjoyed a good few of these events in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Is that our own "Tigerwood" in the photograph for Knightsbrook ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

Looks unlikely they have made any changes regarding the ease in which some people win the long drive and nearest the (Last par 3) pin prizes.

im out on that basis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm not good enough to get the longest drive or NTP so I don't go for the prizes, I went to one in 2013 and it was a great day out I thought, the Down summer one looks good but it looks like you need to qualify for the last round of three in RCD

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I know this doesn't go down well.

But some of the prices to play some of the courses mentioned are a joke - some are even the 4 ball rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

I know this doesn't go down well.

But some of the prices to play some of the courses mentioned are a joke - some are even the 4 ball rate.

60 Euro for Castlemartyr when there will be two opens that same week for 25. Nuts

cairny wrote: »
    60 Euro for Castlemartyr when there will be two opens that same week for 25. Nuts

All about the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

All about the experience.

Ha ha!
    Portumna €60.
    Open singles there weekly for €15.
    Maybe the deer do some sort of river dance for golf digest events to warrant green fee price there! Lovely track btw

phkk wrote: »
    Ha ha!
    Portumna €60.
    Open singles there weekly for €15.
    Maybe the deer do some sort of river dance for golf digest events to warrant green fee price there! Lovely track btw

I'm not exaggerating when I say the 4 ball rate. But Golf Digest should be realising this is meant to be promotional - or is it a pure revenue scheme ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭tigerwood1

Rikand wrote: »
    Is that our own "Tigerwood" in the photograph for Knightsbrook ? :D
    Well spotted rogues gallery:D, that was back in 2013 great day but not such great golf, think i have played nine of these since 2012 and enjoyed every one of them even thought i had a max of 33pts and won nothing(spot prizes included). i agree they can be a bit pricey i actually thought they had gone up this year until i checked back on my credit card for 2013 showing pretty much the same price. I know open prices for some of these courses can be less than half but there is some value for the likes of powerscourt/tralee who's green fees would'nt be far off what digest are charging and if you break down the charge ie goodie bag, burger, fruit & refreshments well run event and potential to win great prizes i can just about justify a couple of these a year to the mrs:).
    At the end of the day they are a private profit making company and will charge what the market will bear and most of the events i have attended have being fully booked out and year to year they have increased the outing.
    I was going to say it must be punter in me that draw me to them and i have just noticed they are laying on a event to las vegas;).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Already signed up for them all!
    Can't wait.

Lar.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Me boombastic

ForeRight wrote: »
    Already signed up for them all!
    Can't wait.

Lar.

No wonder u would !! Ul never again lose track of time !!! 😂😂😂 I'll get u this year though !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

slave1 wrote: »
    I'm not good enough to get the longest drive or NTP so I don't go for the prizes, I went to one in 2013 and it was a great day out I thought, the Down summer one looks good but it looks like you need to qualify for the last round of three in RCD

Should not be to difficult to make the cut for RCD on the final day:

The Down Summer Links Trophy

12th – 14th August 2015

(formerly the Heart of Down Golf Tournament)

Entry £130, members of one host venues £75, Normal Price £279 - SAVE £149!

This fantastic competition limited to 148 players is played over three days, on three magnificent golf courses.

The top 150 golfers will play Royal County Down on the final day with the remaining golfers playing Ardglass for the final day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

very few in munster which is disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

Ronney wrote: »
    Should not be to difficult to make the cut for RCD on the final day:

The Down Summer Links Trophy

12th – 14th August 2015

(formerly the Heart of Down Golf Tournament)

Entry £130, members of one host venues £75, Normal Price £279 - SAVE £149!

This fantastic competition limited to 148 players is played over three days, on three magnificent golf courses.

The top 150 golfers will play Royal County Down on the final day with the remaining golfers playing Ardglass for the final day.

The 150 golfers are spread over the two courses in RDC I believe so you need to be in the top 70 to play the proper course.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭whitefoot

Ronney wrote: »

I just noticed this inconsistency myself on The Down Summer Links Trophy.

I rang Golf Digest in Dublin who say the entry field is 198 and the top 150 get to play Royal County Down. I was told the website would be corrected from 148 to 198.

Not a great prospect if you miss the cutt. £130 to play Ardglass twice and St Patricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

All seems very unclear regarding rules and details, brewery, pissup comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭whitefoot

bailey99 wrote: »
    The 150 golfers are spread over the two courses in RDC I believe so you need to be in the top 70 to play the proper course.

I spoke to Mark at Gold Digest who told me all 150 top scorers will play The Championship Links at Royal County Down on the final day.

Mark will ask for the website to be updated to reflect these clarifications and that the initial field is 198 players.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 titlebearer

slingerz wrote: »
    very few in munster which is disappointing

Very disappointing. Castlemartyr, Tralee and Waterford Castle....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭millerj

I was just looking at timesheets for a couple of these events and note that it says on the timesheet that 'All competitors with a GUI or ILGU handicap MUST provide their Golfnet membership number to a member of the event team when they register on the day of play'. I think that this is a step in the right direction as I cannot recall this being advertised previously. Hope it is followed through at the actual event as they are a really good day out that have received bad publicity (arguably warranted) at times. This would certainly encourage me to participate in one or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

What was the bad publicity?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

millerj wrote: »
    I was just looking at timesheets for a couple of these events and note that it says on the timesheet that 'All competitors with a GUI or ILGU handicap MUST provide their Golfnet membership number to a member of the event team when they register on the day of play'. I think that this is a step in the right direction as I cannot recall this being advertised previously. Hope it is followed through at the actual event as they are a really good day out that have received bad publicity (arguably warranted) at times. This would certainly encourage me to participate in one or two.

That was always the case, I'd say only looked for it form prize winners or maybe not

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

There is too few in Munster but they do have this that I might sign up for

http://www.golfdigestevents.ie/golf-digest-think-young-play-hard-invitational-las-vegas

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭freethearmy

they want me to pay 55 quid to play my own course...not gonna happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

they want me to pay 55 quid to play my own course...not gonna happen

That's the biggest barrier to entry for me, well that and the fact that the competitions are non qualifying so ripe with banditary. €60 and €65 for most courses and then they've the gaul to state includes "FREE" barbecue with some outings. Much better value to be had elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Ciaranra

Its alot money thinking of playing in Tulfarris could be a good day out.
    Spend alot more on good nite out and ended up hungover

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭kevgaa

Hi,

I have played in a few events and they are very well run and a good day out with very good prizes on offer, not that I got any where near them.

They have picky outs where a member of my group won a stand bag. You have to be present at the presentation to be eligible for the picky outs, so my advice if booking go for a late tee time if you can...

Expensive, well that depends on your perspective, if your used to playing opens, Yes they are.

If like me you work Monday to Friday ( so I miss opens ) and generally play weekend Golf they are not so expensive. As Green Fees Friday- Sunday on these courses are generally around $30 euro then add in the goodie bag and burger and the on-course food you get at the events, it not far off what I pay when out with a few mates for a casual day, well that's how I justify the odd event :)

One thing to note, is that these events for me are a full day out with mates as I wouldn't expect a quick round unless your out early. My previous rounds have been 4.5 - 5 hours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

ENOUGH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭millerj

charlieIRL wrote: »
    ENOUGH

?????

Advertisement