Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shifting belly weight

Options
  • 17-12-2014 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi guys

Just looking for some advice or hints/tips regarding shifting some belly fat.

I'm 29 years old, 6'2 tall and weigh about 13 stone 5.

I'm well built, straight up and down, but recently I've started to develop a slight beer gut at an alarming rate over 2 or 3 months, which has kinda knocked my self confidence a bit.

I will admit to being partial to a beer - would go out maybe 2 nights a week - probably talking 8 pints per sitting.

Diet wise - zero fast foods or take aways but a lot of carbs (pastas, potatoes, lasagnes)

Little or no junk food like chocolate or crisps save for the occasional bit of ice cream.

I work 50 plus hours a week in an office so little time to work out.

Will gladly take any advice on board.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 22 Heavy Pierre

Hi guys

I'm well built, straight up and down, but recently I've started to develop a slight beer gut at an alarming rate over 2 or 3 months, which has kinda knocked my self confidence a bit.

I will admit to being partial to a beer - would go out maybe 2 nights a week - probably talking 8 pints per sitting.

Diet wise - zero fast foods or take aways but a lot of carbs (pastas, potatoes, lasagnes)

Little or no junk food like chocolate or crisps save for the occasional bit of ice cream.

Have you heard of the GOMAD diet? Using milk to replace food could be very beneficial to the gullet not to mention the pectorials

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Have you heard of the GOMAD diet? Using milk to replace food could be very beneficial to the gullet not to mention the pectorials

Huh? He's trying to lose weight not add it on?

• Site Banned Posts: 22 Heavy Pierre

Huh? He's trying to lose weight not add it on?

Yeah but it's moving fat to Muscle and toning up I am sure

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Hi guys

To be fair, 50 hours isnt a LOT. Quite a few people would do it. How long is your commute? What time do you get home at in the evening?

Why not go straight to the gym after? Work out at home? Saturday and Sunday do you work?

Im far from an expert but to shift the weight you 1) cant have 8 pints twice a week and 2) you need to do some exercise. The only way.

Walk to/from work? Jog?

You dont really tell us what you can/cant do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Yeah but it's moving fat to Muscle and toning up I am sure

You cannot move / convert fat to muscle !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Big Whiskey

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    To be fair, 50 hours isnt a LOT. Quite a few people would do it. How long is your commute? What time do you get home at in the evening?

Why not go straight to the gym after? Work out at home? Saturday and Sunday do you work?

Im far from an expert but to shift the weight you 1) cant have 8 pints twice a week and 2) you need to do some exercise. The only way.

Walk to/from work? Jog?

You dont really tell us what you can/cant do

Commute maybe an hour and 15 mins to and the same from work. Leave at 6.30, start at 8, finish at 5, so I could probably fit in an gym session after work.

Recently bought a weight bench so am hoping to start using that once I free up space with the Xmas tree.

The plan is to cut the drinking to 1 night a week and change from Beer to Vodka/Lime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

A pint of Heineken is about 250 calories, so eight of those is around the 2000 mark. Your daily intake is probably in the 2500 calorie mark, so twice a week you're having nearly a full days worth of calories in your drink alone, not to mention the odd bacon fries or crisps with a few pints . Cut the drink (always welcome after the Christmas season) and you'll see a huge improvement.

The only way to shift weight is to use more calories than you eat sadly. Use a calorie tracker app like myfitnesspal, even for a few days. You'd be surprised how much you might be underestimating your calorie intake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I read today that even low-fat dairy could be bad for you because of the "dodgy" sugars they add to it to make it tasty like full milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

recently lost some weight myself and hate to break it to u but drinking 16 pints a week and no exercise isnt going to lose u weight... u need to cut alcohol as much as possible and get exercising.. do u something u enjoy... I started weight training and really like it...
    also pasta, potatoes, white... go easy on them and itll help

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I read today that even low-fat dairy could be bad for you because of the "dodgy" sugars they add to it to make it tasty like full milk.

Goes for most low fat products. Compare with the full day versions and you'd be surprised.

• Advertisement
Advertisement