Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you watch hollywood movies?

Options
  • 16-12-2014 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

I know they are entertaining, but recently I've gone quite cynical about them. It seems there are packed with advertising and propeganda. I'm going to start getting into French, Italian or Scandinavian cinema. I feel hollywood movies for the most part are just mind numbingly boring.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Obligatory happy ending does my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I do indeed, it's just escapism and entertainment, not to be taken too seriously in most cases. I speak English, a small amount of Irish and a few words of French so I'm limited in what I can watch based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I do indeed, it's just escapism and entertainment, not to be taken too seriously in most cases. I speak English, a small amount of Irish and a few words of French so I'm limited in what I can watch based on that.

Most french movies are subtitled I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

RonanP77 wrote: »

They have this modern invention called subtitles where they translate what is being said on the screen and display it in English words on the screen. You should really check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

lufties wrote: »
    Most french movies are subtitled I would think.

I can't abide a film I have to read. If I want to read, I get a book.

• Advertisement

fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

If I want to read I pick up a book, I can't stand subtitles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Doesn't everybody?

I may be a cineaste but that doesn't mean I have to be a snob, I like a burger just as much as fillet steak.
    After watching Gaspar Noe's 'Enter The Void' at the weekend, I really... I mean REALLY, needed to watch Guardians of the Galaxy afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

You really are missing out on a lot of high quality entertainment.

Irrespective of the huge range of quality movies produced in non-English languages over the years, the recent upsurge of quality thrillers/mystery/political series from the Scandanavian countries has produced some really excellent series. A very diffferent tone to many English speaking series amd highly recommeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Depends on the movie. I'm over Hollywood blockbusters, sequel after sequel, book adaptations and remakes. No imagination anymore in Hollywood. I prefer tv as its far superior but will watch mostly independent and documentary films and a lot of French and Scandinavian cinema.

• Advertisement

The Peanut wrote: »

Irrespective of the huge range of quality movies produced in non-English languages over the years, the recent upsurge of quality thrillers/mystery/political series from the Scandanavian countries has produced some really excellent series. A very diffferent tone to many English speaking series amd highly recommeded.

Can you name a few?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The Peanut wrote: »

I'll take subtitles any day over dubbing. It does my head in when the actors' lips aren't in sync with the dialogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yes, the odd time, but like yourself I'd generally watch more foreign language movies. A lot of Japanese or sometimes Korean movies especially.

The Raid is a better action movie than anything Hollywood's put out in ages.

Can you name a few?

TV: Borgen, The Killing, Those Who Kill

Film: The Hunt, Headhunters, Let The Right One In. All on Netflixs afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

The original Swedish Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is one of my favourites ever

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm happy to watch anything that looks good hollywood or otherwise

eviltwin wrote: »

Thanks, i don't have Netflix but there's a great DVD store close to me.

You can find a lot of foreign language film on You Tube as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

I know they are entertaining [...]

Speaking for myself, that's the number one reason why I watch a movie.
    Suspension of disbelief is also supposed to be essential for the enjoyment of many movies and TV shows involving complex stunts, special effects, and seemingly unrealistic plots, characterizations, etc. The theory professes to explain why a subset of action movie fans are willing to accept the idea that, for example: The good guy can get away with shooting guns in public places (without getting in trouble with the local law-enforcement himself), never running out of ammunition (Rambo movies), or that cars will explode with a well-placed shot to the gas tank (numerous action movies use this trope/plot element).

source

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I rarely watch movies as I get bored after 15 minutes or so. I'm not much good at 'passive' entertainment as I rarely bother with TV shows either. The thought of having to watch ten series of something at 20 episodes per series turns me off straight away as being too much like hard work. I can spend hours and hours and days playing computer games though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

How can you compare Hollywood films to foreign language films?
    Hollywood is dumbed down super hero movies and crowd pleasing chick flicks. Anything that will make money.

There isn’t another country with an industry like Hollywood that throws so much money at movies and stars.

Contemporary American cinema is another matter. I think it’s far superior to any other countries output.

Decuc500 wrote: »
    How can you compare Hollywood films to foreign language films?
    Hollywood is dumbed down super hero movies and crowd pleasing chick flicks. Anything that will make money.

There isn’t another country with an industry like Hollywood that throws so much money at movies and stars.

Contemporary American cinema is another matter. I think it’s far superior to any other countries output.

Where would you find contemporary cinema?

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I'll take subtitles any day over dubbing. It does my head in when the actors' lips aren't in sync with the dialogue.

Agreed although the dubbing in some of the spaghetti westerns never bothered me. If I'm enjoying the movie enough, I can get past it; would obvioulsy prefer if wasn't there. I've seen The Good, the Bad and the Ugly so many times now, I don't notice the dubbing.

Would imagine for more challenging movies to watch, it would be very off-putting.

eviltwin wrote: »

Would also recommend The Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Independent films, lower budget cinema.

Recent films like Blue Ruin, Joe, Cold In July, Cheap Thrills, Mud, Frances Ha.

Of course the greats of US cinema, the Coens, PT Anderson, Fincher, Darren Aronofsky, Terrence Malick, all the usual suspects.

It ain't Hollywood. People just seem to bracket all American cinema as 'Hollywood' which is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Start with Headhunters, its outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Hoop66

A cinema in Contemporania?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Im enjoying more TV shows now than movies. There seem to be far more decent TV shows out the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Just watched that Frozen, don't get the hype

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Very few Hollywood films would appeal to me. Wolf of Wall Street was the last film that I watched in the cinema.

The vast majority of films are now targeted to a much younger demographic.

Advertisement