Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafe Charging you to drink your own drink a

Options
  • 15-12-2014 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

There is a little cafe, pizza/ tapas type place , I went to tonight for dinner. Food is lovely, place is lovely,and all that.
    But they don't have a bar only sell wine.
    Your allowed to bring your own cans/bottles of beer to drink but they charge you €1.50 to drink your own beer that you brought.
    This has to be the handiest few quid they will ever make.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

I dont know whats stranger between bringing your own drink to a cafe or being charged to drink it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Do you bring your own glass and wash it too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Well you aren't buying their drinks. So they would losing money if they let you drink your own drink there for free. At least tap water is free here. In Germany you get a glass the size of a espresso cup and charge you for water after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I dont know whats stranger between bringing your own drink to a cafe or being charged to drink it.

Well they don't have a bar licence, so what am I meant to drink ?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Well they don't have a bar licence, so what am I meant to drink ?

Fanta?

Its the cafes policies of allowing people bring drink i find strange anyway, not the fact that you brought drink with you.Id bring drink with me to if i could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

I assume the fee is related to the glass you drink out off, the cost related to washing said glass and the disposal of bottle/can. You mention the comment 'what am I meant to drink ?' How about tea/coffee or a soft drink? You could always have an alcoholic drink when you return home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Its called corkage. Extremely common practice, particularly for weddings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

lycan238 wrote: »
    I assume the fee is related to the glass you drink out off, the cost related to washing said glass and the disposal of bottle/can. You mention the comment 'what am I meant to drink ?' How about tea/coffee or a soft drink? You could always have an alcoholic drink when you return home.

So if I get a glass of water for free I should them to clean the glass ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

So if I get a glass of water for free I should them to clean the glass ?
    No because it's customary for restaurants to provide free drinking water, it's not customary for most restaurants to allow you to BYO booze never mind for free. It's their choice to charge for that facility.

I don't see a consumer issue if the charge is published so that you should be aware before you enter/book and not hidden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

There is a little cafe, pizza/ tapas type place , I went to tonight for dinner. Food is lovely, place is lovely,and all that.
    Your allowed to bring your own cans/bottles of beer to drink but they charge you €1.50 to drink your own beer that you brought.

Was it your first time out on your own OP? Lots of BYOB places charge corkage, its extremely common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Look on it as "table rental".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

What exactly is the issue? The cafe doesn't have a drinks licence so you BYOB. They will charge you corkage for the privilege of drinking what you want. I don't see a problem with that...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I'd call that extortion:(. Next they'll be charging you to pee:rolleyes:.

How is that extortion? The OP didn't have a gun to his head, did he? He has the choice to either eat in that establishment or not. If he doesn't like paying for corkage, he is free to eat elsewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Its called corkage. Extremely common practice, particularly for weddings.

Not that much drinking is done in Cork. It should be called Connemarage.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

BYOB and corkage, nothing strange about either practice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

How is that extortion? The OP didn't have a gun to his head, did he? He has the choice to either eat in that establishment or not. If he doesn't like paying for corkage, he is free to eat elsewhere...

This corkage lark is just like Ticketmaster adding booking fees and C.C. charges. IIRC it started with hotels charging it at weddings. Not alone did the sell the plonk, they charged for pouring it. Now it has spread to some restaurants. What else could you call it, but extortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

It's not extortion, jesus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

most places have a corkage charge 1.50 is cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Most restaurants make a lot of profit on their wine and beer so paying a euro or so probably just about covers the cost of disposal and glass cleaning.
    Personally I think it's a great idea.
    It takes the hassle out of scanning the wine list looking for something that appeals to you and most likely you will have bought your favourite tipple at a far more reasonable price to enjoy with your meal and good company.

• Advertisement

This corkage lark is just like Ticketmaster adding booking fees and C.C. charges. IIRC it started with hotels charging it at weddings. Not alone did the sell the plonk, they charged for pouring it. Now it has spread to some restaurants. What else could you call it, but extortion.

That shows you don't understand how the catering and hospitality industries work.

When someone decides to bring their own drink, the venue makes no money. But - they have a drinks licence which has to be paid for (if the premises are licenced), plus legal and admin fees associated with that. Staff costs for working at the venue, rental of the glasses and cups, and costs associated with cleaning and putting away the glasses and cups. Water, gas and electric and detergent have to paid for. Why do you think all that is for free?

If a cafe doesn't have a drinks licence, then the costs are lowered by charging corkage. Staff costs still have to be paid, and the glasses cleaned. Again - why do you think this should be free?

Using your logic, do you think it's acceptable to bring your own food into an establishment and eat it there too?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

To serve beer you need a license which would be passed on to the consumer in the form of higher prices. €5 a drink v off license price plus corkage. I know which I prefer. Also means the cafe can get around the no license law cause it doesn't "sell" alcohol.

They already do in Amsterdam... and not even just for someone walking in off the street which is understandable.

50c and somebody collects it so its not avoidable like the shopping centres do her occasionally.

Defo the scabbiest charge I've encountered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Having intoxicated people on the premises could warrant the charge too. A lot more claims and damage happen when alcohol is involved.
    I really don't see a problem with it, but I think the charge "could" be illegal. The premises doesn't have a licence, unlike a hotel were corkage is common, so charges related to alcohol could be a breech??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

In my experience people think extortion, scam, and corruption are synonyms for expensive, or unexpected costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

They already do in Amsterdam... and not even just for someone walking in off the street which is understandable.

50c and somebody collects it so its not avoidable like the shopping centres do her occasionally.

Defo the scabbiest charge I've encountered.

I agree, I'm only back from a break there and everywhere in Amsterdam they charge you to go to the toilet, even Mc Donald's, and they certainly arent kept clean for the privilege!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Its normally called corkage.
    and it is pretty normal

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

Of course they charge you for corkage, if you didn't like whats on the menu would you expect to be allowed to bring your own food and drinks and pay nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

corkonion wrote: »
    Of course they charge you for corkage, if you didn't like whats on the menu would you expect to be allowed to bring your own food and drinks and pay nothing?

You bring your own because they don't offer the service, not because you don't like what they have.
    I've been to few of these places, never been charged extra.
    Not sure I'd bother with a place that charged me extra for my own drink to be honest.
    Although maybe the food was cheaper to offset the charge or the fact they didn't have to pay for any license?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Senna wrote: »
    Having intoxicated people on the premises could warrant the charge too. A lot more claims and damage happen when alcohol is involved.
    I really don't see a problem with it, but I think the charge "could" be illegal. The premises doesn't have a licence, unlike a hotel were corkage is common, so charges related to alcohol could be a breech??

It's not illegal, a licence is only required to sell alcohol. Though it sounds like they already have a wine retailers licence.

Advertisement