Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann Sligo to Dublin Bus has no toilet on it!

Options
  • 15-12-2014 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭

My lad who travels every now and again tells me that the Bus eireann route23 with a 4Hour journey from sligo to Dublin has no toilet on it! - just a 5 minute stop at Longford railway station - Absolute crazy! - I couldnt cross me legs all that time lol :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭clunked

Is it not a 3 and a half hour journey. If its such a problem why not take the train?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

And the bus driver is happy enough to let you off the bus for a toilet break if you let him know

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

biomed32 wrote: »
    And the bus driver is happy enough to let you off the bus for a toilet break if you let him know

my lad is ok with it - but i wouldnt be not with my bladder lol , id have to be asking the driver to stop every 10 minutes lol - but how outdated is this? , i bet the bus driver loves this if he had to stop a lot of times on route for people who want a pee.

- I think i will stick to train, even knowing that the bus has no toilet on it puts me off straight away even if it is a lot cheaper than the train!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,287 ✭✭✭✭Victor

i bet the bus driver loves this if he had to stop a lot of times on route for people who want a pee.
    My sarcasm detector may be broken. I can't imagine a driver enjoying this.

Many services have such arrangements and it is rarely a problem.

and if you had a passenger with a weak bladder or bladder problem you would not anger the driver nor the other passengers keep having to stop the bus on its journey no?

• Advertisement

anyone know why the bus for such a long journey does not have a toilet onboard? - is it because it takes up too much room/seats? - is it because they dont want to clean it out? - i cant be the only person questioning this can I? - i just couldnt imagine other public transport (apart from Taxi lol) without a toilet on board for such a long trip...

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

You get off in Longford and use the toilet in the station...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

Maybe it's an old bus they using for that route that doesnt have a toilet on board, most of the newer buses have toilets in them.

PLL wrote: »
    You get off in Longford and use the toilet in the station...

yep i said that at the start of the thread - if im on a train ive most probably had a wee at least once before longford, and a couple more before ive got to Dublin Connelly .... :)

bluemartin wrote: »
    Maybe it's an old bus they using for that route that doesnt have a toilet on board, most of the newer buses have toilets in them.

no, i think there pretty newish busses, think he said theres wi-fi onboard .... but no loo!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

bring large empty milk bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I haven't seen a toilet on a bus in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

braddun wrote: »

And a shower curtain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Who uses the toilet on a bus anyway. Might as well just sit in your own and other peoples sh it.

Take the train if you need the loo every 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Christ how could anyone survive a 1.5-2hr trip without a toilet, the shear horror of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Senna wrote: »
    Christ how could anyone survive a 1.5-2hr trip without a toilet, the shear horror of it.

To be fair, if I come down with a kidney infection/UTI, I'm pissing every 20 minutes.

just the thought of going on a 3hr+ trip on public transport without a bog on it ...... makes me wanna pee!

braddun wrote: »

have you seen the he-wee and she-wee in the chemists - saw one the other day lol, could use that i suppose :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

just to point out DB route 27 driver goes from Clarehall to Jobstown and back again 4 hour round trip, and no toilets still when they get to either terminus they can be driving for over 5 and half hours with no toilet facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

cdebru wrote: »
    just to point out DB route 27 driver goes from Clarehall to Jobstown and back again 4 hour round trip, and no toilets still when they get to either terminus they can be driving for over 5 and half hours with no toilet facilities.

but DB drivers are allowed piss against the offside rear wheel :D

[maybe more suitable for the DB mythbuster thread]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

but DB drivers are allowed piss against the offside rear wheel :D

[maybe more suitable for the DB mythbuster thread]

harder for the women folk and not advisable for anyone to be in a housing estate with his bits out, a rule from a different age and time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

how did the OP survive 5 years ago when toilets didn't exist on any irish bus service and journies were longer?

Recommend
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homecraft-Cygnet-1L-Female-Urinal/dp/B0043BU5U2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I've never yet used an aircraft loo (never mind a bus one) despite 10 hour flights, and I'm pretty old and decrepit , maybe you could regulate your intake? Three and a half hours sounds a piece of piss to me ( see what I did there?)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

We live on a small island no need for a toilet on a bus unless it's a touring coach. All you have to do is manage you're fluid intake pre and during journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jem72

This is because there is no high-frequency effective private competition on the Sligo route. Bus Eireann put all the nice new buses on the routes with competition and rotate the older buses onto the Sligo run. For the same reason the train takes the same amount of time that it took in 1900.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

biomed32 wrote: »

And than we can start another thread about how bus eireann is always late, why oh why can't they keep to a timetable etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

my lad is ok with it - but i wouldnt be not with my bladder lol , id have to be asking the driver to stop every 10 minutes lol - but how outdated is this? , i bet the bus driver loves this if he had to stop a lot of times on route for people who want a pee.

- I think i will stick to train, even knowing that the bus has no toilet on it puts me off straight away even if it is a lot cheaper than the train!

I'm sorry if you cant hold it for 1.5 hours or so between stops. The bus driver has set stop and wont be pulling over every 10 mins to go to the toilet or to let yourself go. Think about it this way if you were say driving that route, would you be pulling over at every 10 mins looking for a petrol station or B+B to take a wee?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,561 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Jem72 wrote: »
    This is because there is no high-frequency effective private competition on the Sligo route. Bus Eireann put all the nice new buses on the routes with competition and rotate the older buses onto the Sligo run. For the same reason the train takes the same amount of time that it took in 1900.

I think that's a little unfair. It has nothing to do with competition or otherwise.

The track beyond Maynooth is a single track line with passing loops which causes issues as you increase the number of trains operating.

I doubt that in 1900 there were 7 trains a day in either direction on the route, plus 2 Longford commuter services.

Or perhaps you have a magic wand that can miraculously increase the line speed of the track?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

corktina wrote: »
    I've never yet used an aircraft loo (never mind a bus one) despite 10 hour flights, and I'm pretty old and decrepit , maybe you could regulate your intake? Three and a half hours sounds a piece of piss to me ( see what I did there?)

Aircraft aircon dehydrates you quite effectively via the skin (not particularly healthy method of water excretion mind!) which means that unless you're drinking alcohol you're not hugely likely to need to use the jacks.

• Advertisement

We live on a small island no need for a toilet on a bus unless it's a touring coach. All you have to do is manage you're fluid intake pre and during journey.

i like to be well hydrated all the time, helps the skin and the body - especially as travelling de-hydrates you anyways...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement