Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't shift the weight!

Options
  • 15-12-2014 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for me as I'm not sure what else to do! A few months ago I started an office job where I sit at a computer 90% of the time. Since then I gained weight which I just couldn't shift! I joined a gym and actually hired a personal trainer for 6 weeks. I have stopped eating bread, pasta and rice and sweets (but I still drink at the weekends). I also go to the gym 3-4 times a week. Yet, after all this, I've actually gained weight and can't fit into cloths that I could a few weeks ago. I'm finding it really frustrating not seeing any results. Would anyone have any form of advice or do I just need to work harder??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What's your average day of eating and drinking like?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

chelle90 wrote: »
    Hi, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for me as I'm not sure what else to do! A few months ago I started an office job where I sit at a computer 90% of the time. Since then I gained weight which I just couldn't shift! I joined a gym and actually hired a personal trainer for 6 weeks. I have stopped eating bread, pasta and rice and sweets (but I still drink at the weekends). I also go to the gym 3-4 times a week. Yet, after all this, I've
    actually gained weight and can't fit into
    cloths that I could a few weeks ago. I'm finding it really frustrating not seeing any results. Would anyone have any form of advice or do I just need to work harder??

Worker harder. I see too many people not working hard enough, looking around them and there gone then after few months

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Crappyghost

What does your typical daily diet look like? Height? weight?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TeamJesus

I also started working recently and went from an active lifestyle to sitting for 11-12 hrs per day (including commute in that).

I've definitely lost a lot of muscle because I haven't been exercising, but haven't gained any weight because I'm extremely mindful of what I eat. The most important part of this for me is cutting out sugar completely (except over Christmas :-P). Although most people say I'm too extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Paddy_PT

First of all post your diet .. from here people can give you a clearer idea of where you might be going wrong.

Secondly - the alcohol .. It has to go. Its great having a drink at the weekend with friends etc but realistically you dont need to drink to have fun and you need to remember what your goal is here. You want to lose weight and alcohol contains useless calories so cut it out.

Thirdly - Is your PT pushing you? Ive trained a number of female clients with weight loss goals and to be honest they have all lost weight and most of them have exceeded there target goals. This is because I stay in regular contact with them outside the gym and always push them extremely hard! They pay me to train not to gossip so for 60 minutes its all business however I do make it fun yet tough.

and lastly are you eating enough? It might sound silly but if you dont eat enough you might actually start gaining weight.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bogmailer

Hi Chelle90,

I would advise you do some of your oun research and see where it takes you. Try to read "Why we get fat and what to do about it" by Gary Taubes. This is a really interesting book as it questions the standard advice (eat less, exercise more) that we are given and judging from your experience it does not work. The book is science based (Taubes is a scientist and science journalist) and very readable.

BTW I have followed the "what to do about it" advice in the book and believe me it works............and you don't feel hungry all the time.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Advertisement