Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy healing / Bio healing / Reiki

Options
  • 13-12-2014 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭

Maybe it's just me but I've noticed a preponderance of people (from facebook and among friends of friends and relatives) advocating these methods for all sorts of ailments.

Does anyone here engage with these alternative therapies and genuinely believe they're beneficial?

I personally believe people are attracted to these psuedo sciences as people like the thought of a semi mystical oriental solution to their complex medical problems rather than deal with the truth of what it takes to get better. I believe there is a sort of placebo effect and cognitive dissonance going on with people who espouse these solutions as opposed to traditional medicine.

I also think it's ethically wrong for people offering these services to genuinely ill and desperate people for money, when deep down the person offering it must know it's quackery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Personally it seems a load of bullsh** , there is nothing a good ride won't cure,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's all akin to voodoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Can't we just merge this with the astrology thread into one massive horse**** mega thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

if you want to hand over cash, to some cute hoor waving his/her hands in the air over you .....feel free to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Yurt! wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but I've noticed a preponderance of people (from facebook and among friends of friends and relatives) advocating these methods for all sorts of ailments.

Does anyone here engage with these alternative therapies and genuinely believe they're beneficial?

I personally believe people are attracted to these psuedo sciences as people like the thought of a semi mystical oriental solution to their complex medical problems rather than deal with the truth of what it takes to get better. I believe there is a sort of placebo effect and cognitive dissonance going on with people who espouse these solutions as opposed to traditional medicine.

I also think it's ethically wrong for people offering these services to genuinely ill and desperate people for money, when deep down the person offering it must know it's quackery.

I do reiki.

My thinking is these things work for reasons other than the ones that are given.

Reiki involves laying your hands on someone and that person stays lying down and quiet while you do. I think the benefits in how you feel are to do with the human contact and simply staying put quietly for an hour plus the placebo. It's relaxing which is beneficial in itself.

I don't do it for other people just myself. Well i would do it for friends if they asked etc but I wouldn't take money or anything or make any claims about it.

I also did a massage course. I think it works in a similar way. It works to relax you.
    It it has helped my mind etc.

I believe in ' quakery'. I believe in vibes, energy and a lot more.

But you shouldn't bring money into it. Nor should you really bring others into it.

What I do I do for me I don't take advantage of others.

I am quite flakey I know.

• Advertisement

I bet you guys don't believe in tantric sex and soulmates neither ! Ah yis are missing out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I saw your name as the latest post, and knew it would be pro reiki. I must be psychic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,276 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

One thing that really bugs me is that there aren't any robot shops in my town, but there are quacks and bullsh1t merchants on every corner

Where's my robot damnit!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I bet you guys don't believe in tantric sex and soulmates neither ! Ah yis are missing out!

Do you have to have a degree for that?:D

Akrasia wrote: »
    One thing that really bugs me is that there aren't any robot shops in my town, but there are quacks and bullsh1t merchants on every corner

Where's my robot damnit!
    China or India probably

Hey I am all for more robot shops too!

PSYCHIC VAMPIRE ROBOTS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

China or India probably

Hey I am all for more robot shops too!

PSYCHIC VAMPIRE ROBOTS!

With unicorns and dinosaurs.

With unicorns and dinosaurs.
    YES!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I do reiki.

My thinking is these things work for reasons other than the ones that are given.

Reiki involves laying your hands on someone and that person stays lying down and quiet while you do. I think the benefits in how you feel are to do with the human contact and simply staying put quietly for an hour plus the placebo. It's relaxing which is beneficial in itself.

I don't do it for other people just myself. Well i would do it for friends if they asked etc but I wouldn't take money or anything or make any claims about it.

I also did a massage course. I think it works in a similar way. It works to relax you.

But you shouldn't bring money into it. Nor should you really bring others into it.

I was in a stabilisation service for addicts before while on a college placement , meditation and reiki was practiced there , by the end of my placement I was addicted to both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I do not do any of the above,

But I do meditate from time to time, think it can have a very calming effect and centre a person. It's one of the ways I use to release stress or tension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I grew up in a quiet, spiritually centred family albeit tempered and grounded. I'd be a fan of people like Eckhart Tolle and Buddhist/eastern philosophy, so meditation would have been a central part of my daily activities right through my late teens to late twenties.
    I'm trying to get back into it lately purely for the sense of quiet it provides. Mindfulness is all the rage right now and I imagine reiki and other alternative methods of healing have at their core a similar philosophy or understanding, I just think its at arms length with what is considered beneficial these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Meditation I get, controlling your breathing and calming your body and mind. But someone claiming they can control your energy flows, GTFO. That's pure psychological manipulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

conmen, pure and simple.

Meditation I get, controlling your breathing and calming your body and mind. But someone claiming they can control your energy flows, GTFO. That's pure psychological manipulation.

I was under the impression psychological manipulation can be very beneficial when done right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I do reiki.

Yup, I'm quite flakey too. Flakey is grand, it's the non flakey ones that do the harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

One of my private students here does energy healing and told me in all seriousness that if I need some healing I was to send her a Whatsapp and she'd administer it from wherever she was and I burst my ****e laughing in her face presuming she was joking. Awkward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

pharmaton wrote: »
    I was under the impression psychogical manipulation can be very beneficial when done right

If an external agent (the practitioner) is claiming that they are the source of the healing, then that's a temporary placebo and likely causes harm in the long run. I'm sure if I handed over 50 or 70 quid to some guru to heal me with his hands I'd come out saying how beneficial it was, because I'd feel like a prize plum otherwise.

If an external agent (the practitioner) is claiming that they are the source of the healing, then that's a temporary placebo and likely causes harm in the long run. I'm sure if I handed over 50 or 70 quid to some guru to heal me with his hands I'd come out saying how beneficial it was, because I'd feel like a prize plum otherwise.
    I wasn't referring to methods like reiki or energy healing, things like CBT and positive reinforcement or hypnosis and the like are all methods of psychological manipulation, there's nothing malicious or intentionally harmful about them as a way of reprogramming negative thought patterns and they can be beneficial tools which help people overcome issues like anxiety or depression, or create more positve attitudes generally which themselves are helpful in the long run. It's the basis of meditation too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

This is an excerpt from a documentary by Lawrence Blair, called Ring of Fire; an Indonessian Odyssey.

It is about a healer from Indonesia who uses a power which he claims to be able to generate from inside his body, which he uses for healing. He calls this power 'Chi'. Its worth the 10 minutes.

The problem with these so-called therapies is that any old nutjob can refer to themselves as a therapist and manipulate the vulnerable into confiding to them, or into handing over money for quackery.

At least with a mainstream psychologist offering CBT (for example), you know they have some qualification other than delusion and a desire to feel important.

I know a completely poisonous person, one who has never kept a confidence to himself and who is one of the most vindictive and spiteful people I've ever met. He has a business where he refers to himself as an holistic therapist and offers a range of crap like crystal therapy or reiki to the credulous. There is nothing anyone can legally do to stop him, even though he repeats the personal tragedies his 'clients' confide in him for laughs and has no qualifications other than some two day hippy 'course' run by a friend of his who once told me, in all seriousness, that she took advice from both angels AND fairies.

So regulation, and some kind of code of conduct, would be nice if people insist on paying someone to be nice to them for an hour.

To be clear, I'm not talking about properly trained and qualified practioners of proven therapies here, just the quacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Put sex and soul together and reckon you'll have them packing the churches again huh? Lol. I think that's one of the reasons they left!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

I do not do any of the above,

But I do meditate from time to time, think it can have a very calming effect and centre a person. It's one of the ways I use to release stress or tension.

I used to meditate. Now I have a good ****. Much more effective.

conmen, pure and simple.
    You have no idea.
    Candie
    To be clear, I'm not talking about properly trained and qualified practioners of proven therapies here, just the quacks.

At least with a mainstream psychologist offering CBT (for example), you know they have some qualification other than delusion and a desire to feel important.

You do realize that anyone can set themselves up as a therapist or counsellor in Ireland too. There is nothing stopping you from calling yourself a CBT therapist. Nothing. Infact a lot of CBT practitioners do things like Reiki etc too. SO often no they have no other qualification other than delusion and they are not legally required to have one either in Ireland.

I would never go to a counselor who was not a DR and had once been an MD. There is an interplay between the mind and the body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Candie wrote: »
    The problem with these so-called therapies is that any old nutjob can refer to themselves as a therapist and manipulate the vulnerable into confiding to them, or into handing over money for quackery.

I know a completely poisonous person, one who has never kept a confidence to himself and who is one of the most vindictive and spiteful people I've ever met. He has a business where he refers to himself as an holistic therapist and offers a range of crap like crystal therapy or reiki to the credulous. There is nothing anyone can legally do to stop him, even though he repeats the personal tragedies his 'clients' confide in him for laughs and has no qualifications other than some two day hippy 'course' run by a friend of his who once told me, in all seriousness, that she took advice from both angels AND fairies.

So regulation, and some kind of code of conduct, would be nice if people insist on paying someone to be nice to them for an hour.

Jesus :mad: guys like that should be named and shamed. People like that can waste years of a vulnerable persons life (or worse), trying to recover from a serious personal issue, but wasting their time with someone like that instead of getting proper help.

Unfortunately, the same can apply even to the CBT guys, as they may not be properly qualified (easy to get certs for a lot of things like that, after just taking a short course - very poor regulation), so worth thoroughly researching them first.

I don't mind people who believe individually in some of these New Agey things (can be endearing in an amusing way sometimes - e.g. a friend seeing a nice scene hiking, "hmm...good energy here" :pac:), but ya, it's just plain wrong to try and apply these beliefs to helping other people, with a serious problem of some sort.

It's not all nonsense - meditation/mindfulness has proven to have a lot of benefits - but when it's in denial of well researched evidence, that it is not effective, than that's just plain harmful.

J
    I don't mind people who believe individually in some of these New Agey things (can be endearing in an amusing way sometimes - e.g. a friend seeing a nice scene hiking, "hmm...good energy here" :pac:), but ya, it's just plain wrong to try and apply these beliefs to helping other people, with a serious problem of some sort.
    I would fall into the first category. I have seen it actively destroy some people. I think it is a certain personality type that can be that way and still keep their feet on the ground. It's not for everyone in fact it's for very few people.

I have actively discouraged others from going to fortune tellers etc. I had an ex bf who wanted to do some of the stuff I was or was curious. I told him I didn't think it was a good idea.

It can be a great waste of time for some and they use it as an escape instead of creative mind space. It's a huge source of creativity for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

I would fall into the first category. I have seen it actively destroy some people. I think it is a certain personality type that can be that way and still keep their feet on the ground. It's not for everyone in fact it's for very few people.

I have actively discouraged others from going to fortune tellers etc. I had an ex bf who wanted to do some of the stuff I was or was curious. I told him I didn't think it was a good idea.

It can be a great waste of time for some and they use it as an escape instead of creative mind space. It's a huge source of creativity for me.
    Of the handful of people I've met who'd fit into that category, it definitely seems to aid in making them more happy/cheery/friendly people/personalities - which makes sense in a lot of ways, as I can see how such beliefs would be comforting (ya though, I could see how people could take it too far, and invest too much of their personality into it, to the point that it could damage them).

They, surprisingly, seemed reasonably skeptical too :) open to others views and not pushing their own - though the skepticism stretched a little too far, to being skeptical of science/evidence itself, to some degree ;)

It's not something I can relate to, but I find it kind of fascinating in a way, trying to figure out how people come to believe some of the stuff, and why sometimes they can be so averse to research/evidence - you come across the same kind of thinking, in debates on a lot of topics on Boards, too, and it always makes me really curious as to what's behind it all in motivation/psychology.

Advertisement