Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no Hot dog stands in Ireland?

Options
  • 13-12-2014 4:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭

Genuine question. I've lived in and visited a few big cities in North America and Europe. In Germany, Canada and the US, Hot dog stands can be found in every big city and town. Now sometimes it's not the healthiest food but it's quick and usually cheap.

I always wondered why this didn't take on in Ireland given our love for decent fast food and people being on the go. I was talking about this with a family friend who mentioned in the 1980's that Martin Cahill (The General) moved in on fast food operators like Hot dog stand owners in Dublin and there was a bit of a turf war and it destroyed the business. Does anyone recall something like that happening?

If there were Hot dog stands now in Ireland, would you eat from one? Or maybe better value food like those found in the Sausage stands of Germany?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,543 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's plenty in Dublin city centre on friday and saturday nights, on most corners around Stephens Green all the way up to the Liffey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

There's plenty in Dublin city centre on friday and saturday nights, on most corners around Stephens Green all the way up to the Liffey.

Sacre bleu, never seen them.

/thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

There's a great little shack in Dingle which sells hotdogs, called dog house I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Yup the place is covered in them. That's enough, there's no market for them during the day

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

We prefer horses instead of canines in our fast foods?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

We're too posh for them here.

Now if it were gourmet locally sourced Currywurst served from a vintage carriage it would be more up our street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If I want to eat processed crap in a stale bun after a night on the beer I want a roof over my head while I'm doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Cus they are rank?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

If I want to eat processed crap in a stale bun after a night on the beer I want a roof over my head while I'm doing it.

A roof for what?

I would have thought a table might be more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

userod wrote: »
    A roof for what?

The constant cold, wind and rain for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

I dont think the HSA allows it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

There's a man with a hot dog stand in Killarney most Friday and Saturday nights during Summer and just the odd Saturday night in winter. Had a few hot dogs from him. They were nice and quicker than the ****e in the chipper that was there all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

???? Plenty of hot dog stands about.What we lack are kebab and falafel stands that seem to be everywhere in german,Dutch and Belgian cities.Germany in particular.Health issues aside,the going rate for a juicy donor is about 3 quid and the quality is twice as good of what Irish chippers serve up for double the price.
    Great soakage after a bellyfull of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The Christmas Market on Stephen's Green has several hot dog stands. Personally I don't think they're meaty enough. The ratio of meat to bread is lower than in say a burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

Hot dogs are the sweepings of the abbatoir.
    At least burgers have some degree of regulation nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

dobman88 wrote: »
    There's a man with a hot dog stand in Killarney most Friday and Saturday nights during Summer and just the odd Saturday night in winter. Had a few hot dogs from him. They were nice and quicker than the ****e in the chipper that was there all day.

Is that Mixie Brogan by any chance? I know he had a burger van down there at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Chorcai wrote: »
    I dont think the HSA allows it ?

I seem to recall a high-tension situation out West in recent years,perhaps during Galway Arts Week.(?)

From memory,it involved a French Farmers Market group being invited by the organizers to come and show us how the French go about this sorta thing.

Having travelled over and set up stall,the Gallic agric's were in full (and popular) flow when they were visited by some earnest young FSAI (Food Safety Authority of Ireland) Inspectors.

It appears these FSAI folks uncovered widespread contraventions of our Food Storage and Handling reglations,some of which centred on Cheese not being wrapped in cellophane and such like.

At the time,I was particularly impressed by the response of the French Farmers spokesperson,who made the very valid point that back in France his family had been successfully making,selling and eating cheese themselves,without wrapping it in cellophane, for several centuries.

He also,quietly and with some justification made the point that many of his long-term customers back home were of seriously advanced age,but not suffering from Coronary Artery disease et al,thanks in part to their diet,and the somewhat differing attitude towards their cooking practices.

The response from the FSAI spokesperson was,in my memory,full of EU-speak,jargon and spin about Safety & Storage Regulations and the risk of the West of Ireland being reduced to a smouldering wasteland if these French fellows were allowed to force the Galwiegans to consume unwrapped cheese !

I don't know what the outcome actually was in this instance,perhaps the French saw the good administrative sense in wrapping their cheese in cellophane,or perhaps the Fatality figures due to eating unprocessed cheese rocketed in The West of Ireland that month....either way,the FSAI struck a blow for Food Safety Administrators everywhere...FSAI Abú :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

FunLover18 wrote: »
    The Christmas Market on Stephen's Green has several hot dog stands. Personally I don't think they're meaty enough. The ratio of meat to bread is lower than in say a burger.

And they cost a fiver thereabouts too,street food is supposed to be fast and cheap they could easily sell those for 3quid each and make a decent profit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

we would steal all the money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

Is that Mixie Brogan by any chance? I know he had a burger van down there at one stage.

No idea. Never got his name. I used to work in McSorleys and would pop out for a few hot dogs for staff at kicking out time. He would usually be either outside the door there or down by the Grand and Mustangs. Seemed like a nice bloke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

And they cost a fiver thereabouts too,street food is supposed to be fast and cheap they could easily sell those for 3quid each and make a decent profit.

I'm not certain of the German or French street vendor situations,but I'd be fairly sure the Irish Vendor will have to insure up to the eyeballs for Public Liability etc etc...all of which makes up a chunk of the €6 I see advertised on the St Stephens Green Cabins...WAAY too dear !! :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If by hotdog you mean those neon orange yokes they eat at football games in the US, you can keep them. But if you mean proper German Bratwurst and Bockwurst which are grilled over those massive bbq yokes, then sign me up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

sinful German phallic sandwich - the food of homosexual deviants.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

what we need is more khlav kalash stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

danrua01 wrote: »
    what we need is more khlav kalash stands.
    One crab juice please

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

how bout a mountain dew?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

The stand in Dingle was the best cure every day after a session when we were down there in the Gaeltacht

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This is the wurst idea ever.

If by hotdog you mean those neon orange yokes they eat at football games in the US, you can keep them. But if you mean proper German Bratwurst and Bockwurst which are grilled over those massive bbq yokes, then sign me up.

Anytime I'm passing through cork city i make a point of stopping off at a little place on little side street running beetween Patrick st and Oliver plunkett St. that sells amazing wursts in bread for 3-4 quid,as good as anything you'll find in germany.its on Winthrop St or maylor st i think i always confuse the two.Just across from Mc donalds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Augmerson wrote: »
    Genuine question. I've lived in and visited a few big cities in North America and Europe. In Germany, Canada and the US, Hot dog stands can be found in every big city and town. Now sometimes it's not the healthiest food but it's quick and usually cheap.

If there were Hot dog stands now in Ireland, would you eat from one? Or maybe better value food like those found in the Sausage stands of Germany?

They were present in some towns/cities here some years back! I remember 'walking' out of night-clubs about 3:30/4am and finding them there. Take-aways would've been closed so it was them or very often we'd be getting a taxi to the nearest Tesco 24hr and maneuvering that maze looking for munchies.

Would not eat from one whilst sober, no,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement