Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are the PRTB and Threshold advising people they can overhold

Options
  • 13-12-2014 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

This is a long story so i'll try to shorten it here.

I have a few rental properties in Dublin.

Most of the time I let the tenants stay on the same rent for years even if the rent should have increased.

I have recently (about 6 months ago) decided that I need to recoup some of the extra taxes and charges that our dear government have put on me over the last few years, so had to increase the rents (with the increase they are still below the market rates in the areas).

All but one of the increases were accepted and all parties are happy.

So one apartment is rented to a couple who have been getting rent allowance. They just said "We cant pay it, so we wont pay it. The rent allowance isnt enough, talk to the CWO".
    So i called the CWO and he just said nothing to do with him.
    So then back to the tenants and they say tough, go to the CWO.

Eventually I decided to just issue fully legal eviction notice for not paying the rent.

They agreed to move out on a specific date.

That day came and they were not gone. They said they had called both the PRTB and Threshold and had been advised that they could stay and that they did not have to pay any rent and i could go jump.

I didnt believe this and now am in a long drawn out legal battle to get rid of them, with no rent at all coming in and they are living for free in my apartment. And no end in sight.

So roll on to last week and I was watching a program about increasing rents called "through the roof" on RTE.
    There was a woman in the same situation. She cant afford market rate and rent allowance wont cover market rate so she was being evicted. On the last day it showed her calling threshold who advised her to overhold and that she didnt have to move out.

Ridiculous.

So then i decided to ring threshold and PRTB last week and pretend i was someone in the same situation. I was disgusted with the responses. Basically - "we can advise you to do this but you can overhold. Then spelled out the situation".

Prefacing telling someone to do something dodgy with a disclaimer like that means nothing. At the end of the day they these two groups are costing landlords a fortune by "advising people that they can break the law with no consequences"

How can this be allowed. And one of them is funded by the very group they are screwing.

What can be done about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

You'd wonder why people don't want to take renters that give rent allowance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

It is a valid option when facing homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭BarneyThomas

timetogo wrote: »
    You'd wonder why people don't want to take renters that give rent allowance.

I certainly wont be ever again anyway.
    There was another couple on that program that you would nearly ring up and give them a discount to live in your property.
    They kept the place immaculately that they were in and the guy even DIY a lot himself. They seemed lovely. Compare that then to others who wreck places and dont pay rent.

Beaner1 wrote: »

Not being able to afford to live where you would like to and facing homelessness are two completely different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Field east

Have you informed there not allowance office. No point in they gating rent allowance an they using it for other purposes, . Don't like to see your and my tax payments being used to prop up that type of situation

• Advertisement

Field east wrote: »
    Have you informed there not allowance office. No point in they gating rent allowance an they using it for other purposes, . Don't like to see your and my tax payments being used to prop up that type of situation

I did.
    They didnt seem to care.
    And the tenants are paying nothing now anyway, so i dont know if the CWO stopped their RA or not.

I'll never being accepting anything to do with social welfare again for sure. The tenants were actually pointing me to the state for the rent and absolved themselves of any responsibility to pay their rent at all. Its not our fault they can pay they said, the cwo can pay it for us and if he doesnt, tough.

And the worst part is that when it comes due now i will have to increase the rents for all the other good tenants to the current market rate, to make up for the losses that these people have caused. So because of those two, the rest of us are now suffering in the pockets a lot more.

If you write to the rent allowance office- make sure it is the correct one- they will then have to act on it, given the times that are in it. Obviously keep a copy. Tell tenants of your intention beforehand and they might at least pay at the old rate. Because if the allowance is stopped they might have difficulty in getting it again.

If you write to the rent allowance office- make sure it is the correct one- they will then have to act on it, given the times that are in it. Obviously keep a copy. Tell tenants of your intention beforehand and they might at least pay at the old rate. Because if the allowance is stopped they might have difficulty in getting it again.

This all happened about 6 months ago. They havent been paying rent since the minute they were told by threshold etc that they could get away with it and it would take me god knows how long to get them out. There is still no end in sight to the legal business involved.
    And my solicitor has told me that while they will still owe me the rent they havent paid, i will never get it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

lesson learned, Never, ever accept rent allowance. Life is to short to have a business relationship where the other party has absolutely nothing to lose and you have absolutely no recourse if anything every does go wrong.

I assume that you have issued the appropriately worded letters re informing them of non payment of overdue rent, giving them the appropriate deadlines and the eviction letter if they do not respond.
    I'd advise to cut your losses And keep your time spent on this to the minimum by keeping away from the PTRB- especially when you more than likely not get your money back-unless a decision by it and a letter from it may help in evicting them.
    I find the IPOA very helpful in this situation. If you are a member they are at the end of a phone re advice and you may not need a solicitor
    If they are keeping the flat in very bad / uninhabitable condition, there is an objectionable smell emanating from it, and the other tenants are being upset because of the smell, noise, etc maybe you should report the space to theCO. CO officer who looks after accomodation conditions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I assume that you have issued the appropriately worded letters re informing them of non payment of overdue rent, giving them the appropriate deadlines and the eviction letter if they do not respond.
    I'd advise to cut your losses And keep your time spent on this to the minimum by keeping away from the PTRB- especially when you more than likely not get your money back-unless a decision by it and a letter from it may help in evicting them.
    I find the IPOA very helpful in this situation. If you are a member they are at the end of a phone re advice and you may not need a solicitor
    If they are keeping the flat in very bad / uninhabitable condition, there is an objectionable smell emanating from it, and the other tenants are being upset because of the smell, noise, etc maybe you should report the space to theCO. CO officer who looks after accomodation conditions

Could you keep your posts factual and leave out baiting speculation?
    There is absolutely no basis for stating the bolded part above looking at the OP.

/Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

"we can advise you to do this but you can overhold. Then spelled out the situation".

I presume that should have been can't in the original post, might be worth being extra careful when quoting that piece as it changes the meaning entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...How can this be allowed. And one of them is funded by the very group they are screwing.

Govt has failed miserably to provide housing. Or regulate the rental market.

The solution is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Visit your TD, and complain about the actions of these government or government-funded agencies. Possibly also write to the Minister responsible for housing.

It won't solve your immediate problem, but the underlying issue needs to be reported or it will never be resolved.

The advice that the agencies should be giving at this time to for people to look for accommodation is areas which they can afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

OP, not that I am advising you to do this, but after six months of non payment of rent and by the sounds of things, no end in site, I would be thinking myself, what have I got to lose by throwing them out on their ass? Yes they can take legal action but when a judge hears they havnt paid for six months and planned to stay there indefinitely, then I'd be thinking I might have a fair chance of being treated with some understanding in court.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

davo10 wrote: »
    OP, not that I am advising you to do this, but after six months of non payment of rent and by the sounds of things, no end in site, I would be thinking myself, what have I got to lose by throwing them out on their ass? Yes they can take legal action but when a judge hears they havnt paid for six months and planned to stay there indefinitely, then I'd be thinking I might have a fair chance of being treated with some understanding in court.

By the very fact that you've drafted that post you are offering it as advice.
    You're around long enough to know what our charter states about advocating illegal actions.

Don't post on this thread again.

davo10 wrote: »

Unfortunately it would be up to the PRTB and they obviously work for the overholder.
    So if I threw them out the PRTB would make sure i paid for it.
    And the worst part of it all is that I paid for the PRTB.
    The whole system is a joke.

From now on im only renting to people who have good jobs and can afford the rent by a log way. And there will be a three month deposit. Just cant put myself up for this kind of skewed against the landlord system again.

Luckily my properties are in high demand areas so i can be more picky with the requirements before someone moves in. I might lose 90% of viewers with asking for 3 months deposit, but i should be left with the ones who are more financially stable at the end. I was just appalled when i saw that happen on the rte program and then verified it too. Sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Beaner1 wrote: »

No it's not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

So roll on to last week and I was watching a program about increasing rents called "through the roof" on RTE.
    There was a woman in the same situation. She cant afford market rate and rent allowance wont cover market rate so she was being evicted. On the last day it showed her calling threshold who advised her to overhold and that she didnt have to move out.

Prefacing telling someone to do something dodgy with a disclaimer like that means nothing. At the end of the day they these two groups are costing landlords a fortune by "advising people that they can break the law with no consequences"

How can this be allowed. And one of them is funded by the very group they are screwing.

I saw that programme and couldn't believe the advice she got. She was due to be evicted that day and Threshold told her she could overhold!! It doesn't make sense at all. At the end of the programme she seemed to have cleared her arrears and was able to stay in the apartment until the new year.
    Such is the demand for accommodation, I don't think you'll have a problem finding tenants willing to pay three months deposit, I think there was one guy on the programme who turned up to view a house and he offered deposit plus three months rent upfront.

groovyg wrote: »
    I saw that rte.ie/player/ie/show/10352948/"]programme and couldn't believe the advice she got. She was due to be evicted that day and Threshold told her she could overhold!! It doesn't make sense at all. At the end of the programme she seemed to have cleared her arrears and was able to stay in the apartment until the new year.
    Such is the demand for accommodation, I don't think you'll have a problem finding tenants willing to pay three months deposit, I think there was one guy on the programme who turned up to view a house and he offered deposit plus three months rent upfront.

I was seriously disgusted at that advice they gave her. So much so i registered here to vent about it.

My theory is that she got on to the landlord and mentioned RTE were filming her while talking to him. So between that and the "advice" from threshold no landlord wants to try to hardline the "poor homeless woman", knowing she'll be telling the story to the tv cameras whether you submit to going on or not. And then knowing you are on a loser when she decides to stop paying the rent too. What choice did he have? None really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Jesus I suggested looking for security and first and last month's rent (not the same as asking for 3 months rent in advance) and got flamed to a crisp. :pac:

I can not understand why the government is offering RA in desirable locations in Dublin. Newbridge and even as far a field as Wexford are commutable and property is in much lower demand. I can understand why such a scheme is needed and frankly they should negotiate themselves a good deal, say 10% under market. In return they should be guaranteeing the rent and repairing any damage done by the tenant. They can then recoup this from the tenant - what's the tenet going to do? Tell the Social to feck off and their not accepting RA anymore?

This country has allowed everyone at every level to completely abdicate personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

OP if they are not paying rent are you obliged to carry on with your duties as a landlord? If not then I would be inclined to get the electricity gas and water disconnected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

ted1 wrote: »
    OP if they are not paying rent are you obliged to carry on with your duties as a landlord? If not then I would be inclined to get the electricity gas and water disconnected

I'm not sure that would be a good idea for even purely selfish reasons on the part of the OP. TBH he/she seems to have their head screwed on.

The problem is that the government, who are basically "the paying tenant" for properties that they pay rent allowance for, either cant afford/ dont want to pay for the going price.
    If they cant afford it or wont afford it then rent elsewhere, but quit screwing over landlords by getting them to pay for a quango that is sticking the knife into them.

Rent allowance is simply not enough to rent property in Dublin the way it is. And with rent allowance comes hugely increased risk on the landlords part too.

That wouldnt be allowed. Basically I can do nothing about someone living in my property but refusing to pay rent. It takes so long that some people i know in the business are paying tenants to leave rather than go through the required channels, but i refuse to do that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ted- this would constitute an attempt at an illegal eviction- and hand the tenant a lovely payday from their landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

The best legal advice for this situation would be a solicitor or citizens advice. They would be more informed about the legal side and rights of both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭miss misty

As a landlord I would never ever entertain renting to someone on RA. Terrible I know but as this thread shows you would be mad to allow RA tenants into your property, and I'm speaking from experience. Unfortunately one bad experience has ruined it for probably a lot of genuine renters. If the government wants to protect them then let the government house them.

SMJSF wrote: »
    The best legal advice for this situation would be a solicitor or citizens advice. They would be more informed about the legal side and rights of both parties.

I have a solicitor engaged.
    Im not looking for legal advice at all. I just came on to vent at what Threshold and PRTB are doing really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I have a solicitor engaged.
    Im not looking for legal advice at all. I just came on to vent at what Threshold and PRTB are doing really.

glad you did. i will be joining the queue of LL no longer accepting any RA. i did it for long enough, and enough is enough. this govt is fixing nothing.

Advertisement