Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Holyhead a nice place?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Isn't Vicky Pollard from there?!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

UCDVet wrote: »
    I dunno...I took a ferry over and I had a blast. My wife and I took a taxi to some lighthouse. Probably spent 45 minutes walking out to it - it was pretty scenic, if you're into that sort of thing.

We hiked back to the port - they had some great trails. We got to the top of some peak and took some pictures. Then continued on our way. Grabbed lunch and had a drink...then caught the ferry home.

As far as day trips go, it was great. No idea why everyone seems to dislike Holyhead. I dunno if I'd want to live there, but it seemed like a fine place to me.

The mountain and areas away from the town have some lovely scenery but it's the state of the main town areas and large numbers of chavs which gives the whole place a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rubadub10

Dump.Went over once to buy cheap beer for Christmas,The place was a kip and the beer was crap.If you're thinking of buying beer over there check the abv.first.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheOtherBloke

blade1 wrote: »
    Tell me, what sold it?

I wont know il

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheOtherBloke

blade1 wrote: »
    Tell me, what sold it?

I wont know il

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

You must remember the Holyhead was the first port of call of tens of thousands of poor Irish emigrants in the UK, forced to work in menial jobs and probably completely lost. Indeed I've heard stories from my parents about Irish people standing in Holyhead station with a sign on their necks saying "Please put me on the train to Euston".

All that misery has it's effect on the soul of a town.

Kilbeggan has no such excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

newmug wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with it. Its like a Welch Sligo. Wales is nice.

No no no no no no no no no Sligo is a gorgeous town.... Holyhead is a kip

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

cml387 wrote: »
    You must remember the Holyhead was the first port of call of tens of thousands of poor Irish emigrants in the UK, forced to work in menial jobs and probably completely lost. Indeed I've heard stories from my parents about Irish people standing in Holyhead station with a sign on their necks saying "Please put me on the train to Euston".

All that misery has it's effect on the soul of a town.

Kilbeggan has no such excuse

they used to unload the cattle first and then the poor emmigrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

It'sa notso bad... it'sa nice-a place, ah... shaddapa you face.

I think it's a great place lots of things to do, I especially like that big sign up on the hill!! Eh sorry oh no wait, that was HOLLYWOOD...
    BUT I'm sure Hollyhead is a lovely place to eh yeah eh so I'll head I'm scared..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

UCDVet wrote: »
    I dunno...I took a ferry over and I had a blast. My wife and I took a taxi to some lighthouse. Probably spent 45 minutes walking out to it - it was pretty scenic, if you're into that sort of thing.

We hiked back to the port - they had some great trails. We got to the top of some peak and took some pictures. Then continued on our way. Grabbed lunch and had a drink...then caught the ferry home.

As far as day trips go, it was great. No idea why everyone seems to dislike Holyhead. I dunno if I'd want to live there, but it seemed like a fine place to me.
    Like I said, the town itself is a dump, but literally minutes away it's like another world. BTW the lighthouse is called the South Stack Lighthouse, and there's an RSPB bird observatory nearby which is also well worth a look. The peak was Holyhead Mountain which is easily accessible from the town if you have an hour or two to spare there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Come Armageddon!

I seen a documentary on Hollyhead before, at least I thought it was a documentary untill the credits rolled.. It was then I realised! I was actually watching Crime Watch UK :o

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Every town has at least one village idiot .Hollyhead is a town with one normal person .( at least i presume so as i never met him/her ).

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Well I like Holyhead.

1. You can take a walk along Europe's longest breakwater peir (2.7km)
    2. Great sea kayaking school based in the harbour
    3. 3min drive from Treardurr Bay - a lovely horseshoe shaped beach surrounded by great scenery and well signposted walking trails

As someone who travels to the UK by car quite a bit Holyhead usually means I'm beginning a journey or nearly home. Leave the place alone - it's not a pretty town but looks aren't everything!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I've only ever passed through Holyhead en route to somewhere else but the little I saw of the town it looked pretty run down. One plus is that the beautiful Snowdonia National Park isn't too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-47564068.html

Property there ( in Anglesley )is quite cheap ,but a little creepy .lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

There's a pound shop, a chippers and fifty pubs. Kip. There's a reason they put two exits - sea and road. It was a demand led decision.

These'a a Morrisson's there with lots of Irish buying cheap booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

rubadub10 wrote: »
    Dump.Went over once to buy cheap beer for Christmas,The place was a kip and the beer was crap.If you're thinking of buying beer over there check the abv.first.

I don't think anyone is going to trek to Wales just to buy beer. The hassle of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Omackeral wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is going to trek to Wales just to buy beer. The hassle of that.

Plus the 300 euro return car fare to be honest makes it really expensive, The north is better for that.

Heres Holyhead in its full glory. Had to pass though it a few times a year when i was in university in Liverpool. It does have a Mc Donalds though.

I remember going to some cafe in the middle of the town and they were speaking English when I entered, when I sat down they switched over to welsh like they were insulted I came into their cafe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

AH I think this is the first time you have let me down. Only one person recommended Holyhead as a stunning destination? Missed opportunity for some fun right there!

OP seeing as the cat is out of the bag I 'll add my bit. I've traveled through Holyhead lots of times and have walked my dog for 30 mins before and after a ferry journey. Interestingly I can't think of a time the sun was not shining.

Even in glorious sunshine it is the most depressing place I have ever set foot in. I'm not joking when I say it is a relief to leave. Comparisons to DL and Bray are way off. Limbo serves far better as a twin town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I was thinking of going there on these Stena Line Christmas deals..

I've been there actually.

Best bet is to rent a car and drive in the opposite direction.

(I'm not joking, its not that bad just not a place you'd take the effort to travel to)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It's nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

What's with all the Dun Laoghaire hatred?

I was wondering the same thing myself, actually - DL is a grand spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If you were to compress the miserableness of Leitrim and Longford into one small town you still wouldn't have the equivalent of Holyhead, it's an absolute ****hole of the highest order!

I've already mentioned my previous home of Chester, but here is an idea of what a nice city it is:

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

The only time Holyhead doesn't look that bad is if you've just been stuck in Rhyl for a few hours. Now that place is on another level of being dull and depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Think Dundalk ………………...without the culture.

• Advertisement

EB_2013 wrote: »
    The only time Holyhead doesn't look that bad is if you've just been stuck in Rhyl for a few hours. Now that place is on another level of being dull and depressing.

Oh yeah that place is quite ghostly.

What was once a grim seaside resort, is now an eerie shadow of a grim seaside resort.

Not sure how it still exists as a town, economically speaking

Advertisement