Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how long can a poor upbringing be blamed for crime?

Options
  • 11-12-2014 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard today that a local chemist was broken into the other day - CCTV caught who did it , but... and this could be hearsay, but apparently it is said that the Gard's will not do anything because the person is known to them and is from a 'Disadvantaged family' - now this load of ****e gets on my nerves hearing this all the time and how many times can it be brought up and how many times can a person do a crime and get away with it throwing this up as an excuse - I most probably will get into trouble for mentioning it up on here because i was told this in confidence and told not to put it up on here but it makes me sick and I have to get an idea of what other people think - i mean there are loads of people that come from a disadvantaged family , or a poor family , or a broken family or whatever ... but not all of them get caught up in crime so should it be an excuse these days to get them off the hook?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Just heard today that a local chemist was broken into the other day - CCTV caught who did it , but... and this could be hearsay, but apparently it is said that the Gard's will not do anything because the person is known to them and is from a 'Disadvantaged family' - now this load of ****e gets on my nerves hearing this all the time and how many times can it be brought up and how many times can a person do a crime and get away with it throwing this up as an excuse - I most probably will get into trouble for mentioning it up on here because i was told this in confidence and told not to put it up on here but it makes me sick and I have to get an idea of what other people think - i mean there are loads of people that come from a disadvantaged family , or a poor family , or a broken family or whatever ... but not all of them get caught up in crime so should it be an excuse these days to get them off the hook?
    I think you've been fed a load of bollocks, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Don't worry, Andy From Sligo. They'll never know it's you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Don Kedick

Everyone from Sligo has had a poor upbringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,798 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So your friend told you something and specifically said dont mention it on AH. And the first thing you do is goto AH.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

What kind of upbringing makes you stick stuff up on a public forum having been told in confidence?

Allegedly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Andy's post......
    now this load of ****e gets on my nerves hearing this all the time and how many times can it be brought up 

Yep, especially on AH, Andy from Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Ill give a tenner a tray for the zimmos and two euro for each lyrica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Being from a disadvantaged background may be a mitigating factor when a judge is passing sentence on someone who has been convicted of a criminal offence. It has nothing to do with the Gardaí.

But never you mind that Andy, you should just keep believing every bit of ill informed bullsh1t you here from down the pub and keep on posting it up here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

So your friend told you something and specifically said dont mention it on AH. And the first thing you do is goto AH.

well the mrs was told - and she told me not to tell anyone or gossip about it lol :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

I smell bull****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

There is a big difference between law and justice. You could have potentially ruined someone's life by posting here. You could have just bust a Garda op to get them for a more serious crime. You could potentially lose your friend.

You definitely lost respect here

Being from a disadvantaged background may be a mitigating factor when a judge is passing sentence on someone who has been convicted of a criminal offence. It has nothing to do with the Gardaí.

But never you mind that Andy, you should just keep believing every bit of ill informed bullsh1t you here from down the pub and keep on posting it up here

i didnt hear it down the pub :rolleyes:

but never mind if you want to believe theres no truth in it thats your prerogative....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

And I deal with a lot of these people in work and in 90% of cases it is most likely an excuse but from talking to some/reading through files you do realise that some people never had a chance.

LucidLife wrote: »
    There is a big difference between law and justice. You could have potentially ruined someone's life by posting here. You could have just bust a Garda op to get them for a more serious crime. You could potentially lose your friend.

oh dear im sorry about all that - my mind never thought like that - i was just wondering what other people thought about this wild card being brought up regularly these days - bloody hell shouldnt of bothered ...

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Joshua5

does crime happen in Sligo?

And you were definitely sold a sack of sh! T lol. There is no way the Garda plain and simple refuse to investigate because of who they are. Likely scenario is the chemist owner decided to give the alleged perpetrator a break on finding out the real story.you know its this thing called compassion for fellow man and almost everyone has it

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Bit overly dramatic there now.

i didnt hear it down the pub :rolleyes:

but never mind if you want to believe theres no truth in it thats your prerogative....

I know there's no truth in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Joshua5 wrote: »
    does crime happen in Sligo?
    This was the first. That's why the gardai didn't know what to do.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    This was the first. That's why the gardai didn't know what to do.

I'll read all about it on Waterford whispers so...

• Advertisement

SeaDaily wrote: »
    Bit overly dramatic there now.

Not at all overly dramatic. I have been in an almost identical situation twice. I know how this works

Not at all overly dramatic. I have been in an almost identical situation twice. I know how this works

Please do tell.........

Please do tell.........

Incident one) swap chemist with internet cafe
    incident two) swap chemist with local shop

I in my younger years robbed both premises and was caught. I have no criminal record and never stood in front of a judge for either.

Reason for first was compassion from owner.

Reason for second was Garda wanted to give me rope to ha g myself and compassion again obviously.

Incident one) swap chemist with internet cafe
    incident two) swap chemist with local shop

I in my younger years robbed both premises and was caught. I have no criminal record and never stood in front of a judge for either.

Reason for first was compassion from owner.

Reason for second was Garda wanted to give me rope to ha g myself and compassion again obviously.

It's a pity you didn't get a hiding the first time, might have stopped you from messing with people again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

*Gets popcorn*

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You're some man for starting threads lately Andy. You must have a lot on your mind.

Joshua5 wrote: »
    It's a pity you didn't get a hiding the first time, might have stopped you from messing with people again.

Don't worry Karma isn't a myth. I have been on the other end of same situation, had more fights than you had hot dinners, got stabbed a few times, etc etc the list go's on and gets bigger all the time. I broke the law many many times I just gave you two examples as its relevant. I don't advocate the behavior but due to circumstance when I was young my life revolved around this kinda thing. If I didn't get chances I would be pushing up daisy's already

Don't worry Karma isn't a myth. I have been on the other end of same situation, had more fights than you had hot dinners, got stabbed a few times, etc etc the list go's on and gets bigger all the time. I broke the law many many times I just gave you two examples as its relevant. I don't advocate the behavior but due to circumstance when I was young my life revolved around this kinda thing. If I didn't get chances I would be pushing up daisy's already

I was young is as bad an excuse as I had a poor up bringing. Fights are ok, most lads have done it. Pulling stokes in shops, getting caught twice means it happened many other times. In my opinion, people like you ruin other peoples lives, makes them nervous wrecks and anyone who walks onto someones premises with an intention to steal should be leaving in a bodybag... I now await my ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

He hasn't identified anyone. You are over reacting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,798 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I think you've been fed a load of bollocks, tbh.

Nah. I think we have.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement