Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will drive alongside Alonso at McLaren in 2015.

Options
  • 08-12-2014 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭

Who will drive alongside Alonso at McLaren next season. Poll will be up for seven days.

Who will drive alongside at McLaren in 2015. 31 votes

Jenson Button
    0%
    Kevin Magnussen
    100%
    TippexednwirelandSlutmonkey57bmoby2101[Deleted User]ZiabRCharlie-Bravochallengemasterblackdog2EvilMonkeyTerrontressGhost TrainMenathewheel2.0mickdw-gilly-09-HigginsJmad davenewspowerjohn kinsella 31 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

I don't think I'd be alone in saying that I want it to be Button but I believe it will be Magnussen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Kevin Magnussen
    Could be neither. Where's the Atari Jaguar Racing option? :D

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Damon Hill clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Eh, Alonso hasn't been confirmed yet either.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

astrofluff wrote: »
    Could be neither. Where's the Atari Jaguar Racing option? :D
    Taka Inoue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

recyclebin wrote: »

Ah now, c'mon!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Is it wrong to hope that Alonso goes off somewhere else, Button and Magnusson find other drives, and McLaren are left with no drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Kevin Magnussen
    stevenmu wrote: »
    Is it wrong to hope that Alonso goes off somewhere else, Button and Magnusson find other drives, and McLaren are left with no drivers?

Not at all. McLaren are showing themselves to be a pack of clueless Muppets with this, and rapidly losing fans' respect.

It's not in any way a difficult decision for an organisation with managerial confidence. This outfit isn't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Voted Magnussen but would prefer to see Button in the seat.

Kevin Magnussen
    While I blame McLaren for this fiasco, it's really Alonso who is the devil in the detail. Can't believe it's all hung out like this for so long. But then again, one could blame Ferrari for allowing Alonso get out of his contract. Or maybe it's Luca's fault in stating the whole process. Yes, I blame Luca.

For this thread, the question should really be: who is most likely to keep their race seat?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Kevin Magnussen
    I think the longer it goes on, the more chance Button has of getting the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

holding off until the announcement of 3 car teams and keeping both?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Kevin Magnussen
    I would say Button. You cant ignore his ability to score points and stay out of trouble.

Kevin Magnussen
    Attention McLaren! Let me say just one thing; Canada 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

logik wrote: »
    I would say Button. You cant ignore his ability to score points and stay out of trouble.
    If I was making the choice, as much as I like button I'd go for the young lad. We all know what button can do, we know magnuson is good but we haven't seen his full potential yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

recyclebin wrote: »

True that. I do have a doubt that the Alonso deal might not be 100% finalized; I see no reason to hold onto that announcement if there weren't still issues to be ironed out. Maybe one of the issues is that Fernando wants a doormat teammate, which neither Button or Magnussen would be, and McLaren doesn't want to "burn off" Vandoorne either.

astrofluff wrote: »
    While I blame McLaren for this fiasco, it's really Alonso who is the devil in the detail. Can't believe it's all hung out like this for so long. But then again, one could blame Ferrari for allowing Alonso get out of his contract. Or maybe it's Luca's fault in stating the whole process. Yes, I blame Luca.

For this thread, the question should really be: who is most likely to keep their race seat?!

There are bound to be people in the team who don't want him back, and maybe Honda themselves are not sold on Alonso's role and contribution in the long term - I'd be really surprised if the car/power unit package would be competitive straight away. There will be a lot of work to do, and the Spaniard doesn't look like one with the patience to do it.

Long ago, in unsuspecting times, I stated that if Alonso decided to leave Ferrari he'd find it hard to get a seat with another team and it's proving correct. Between the Spy Story, Crashgate and the appaling way he carried himself at Ferrari, I wouldn't hire him if I was in the position to manage a top team. Alonso probably hoped to swap places with Vettel, but Horner/Marko had none of it and kept true to their origins, promoting one of their young drivers programme members (although I would have gone for Vergne).

Kevin Magnussen
    H3llR4iser wrote: »
    True that. I do have a doubt that the Alonso deal might not be 100% finalized; I see no reason to hold onto that announcement if there weren't still issues to be ironed out. Maybe one of the issues is that Fernando wants a doormat teammate, which neither Button or Magnussen would be, and McLaren doesn't want to "burn off" Vandoorne either.

There are bound to be people in the team who don't want him back, and maybe Honda themselves are not sold on Alonso's role and contribution in the long term - I'd be really surprised if the car/power unit package would be competitive straight away. There will be a lot of work to do, and the Spaniard doesn't look like one with the patience to do it.

Long ago, in unsuspecting times, I stated that if Alonso decided to leave Ferrari he'd find it hard to get a seat with another team and it's proving correct. Between the Spy Story, Crashgate and the appaling way he carried himself at Ferrari, I wouldn't hire him if I was in the position to manage a top team. Alonso probably hoped to swap places with Vettel, but Horner/Marko had none of it and kept true to their origins, promoting one of their young drivers programme members (although I would have gone for Vergne).

I think you might be spot on re alonso wanting absolute no 1 status.
    Mclaren have not operated like that and hopefully won't agree to such a deal for him.
    It's funny How alonso is yet again proving disruptive even before He arrives at a team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Nigel Mansell to patch things up with Ron, come out of retirement and fit in the car thanks to all of that biking he's been doing? :D

I'd like to see Jenson stay, but I'd imagine that this whole saga is as the result of Alonso not wanting to be in the same situation as he was the last time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Nigel Mansell to patch things up with Ron, come out of retirement and fit in the car thanks to all of that biking he's been doing? :D

I'd like to see Jenson stay, but I'd imagine that this whole saga is as the result of Alonso not wanting to be in the same situation as he was the last time around.

Funny thing is, I suspect Button would love a crack at Alonso. Jenson must be one of, if not the single most underrated driver in recent F1 history. He is possibly the most solid point scorer on the grid, often putting up performances that, at the end of the race, make you wonder "where did he come from?". He has partnered Hamilton, whom most consider the quickest guy on the grid, and scored more points over three seasons - a partnership that, should I remind, had punters scream of "he'll be murdered by Lewis!" when news broke that Button would be joining McLaren.

Even his 2009 championship is seen as somewhat of a "lesser" achievement because he scored all of his wins at the beginning of the season. The reality is that it was a prime example of consistency; He racked up the points when his car was the best on the grid and did damage limitation when BrawnGP failed to develop the project. If his season was reversed, i.e. with poor form at the beginning and then going on to win 6 of the last 7 races to clinch the title, everybody would have been singing praise.

I do wonder what it would happen if he was Alonso's team mate on equal terms. Probably we'd hear some more "are you idiots?" screaming in the radio, with a Spanish accent. I suspect Jenson wonders about the same :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I'd keep them both and not bother with the pre Madonna, he's to much trouble and only wants short term contract.

Tounge in cheek but, I wonder if he is waiting to see what Mercedes and Hamilton are doing before he decides length of contract, and are Mercedes aware of this and having a bit of fun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bugatti

Apparently the team will announce their drivers tomorrow. But McLaren only have themselves to blame for the mess they've got into regarding the drivers. I posted this over a year ago about their driver lineups and sure enough the team have gotten themselves in a mess just like I could see happening at the time.
    Bugatti wrote: »
    I'm still not convinced by McLaren's decision to replace Perez with Magnussen. Purely looking at it from the point of view that if McLaren really are serious about luring Alonso back in 2015 and with Button expected to stay on past next season it'll mean Magnussen going from McLaren back to a smaller team until Button leaves (that is unless he manages to seriously outperform Jenson next year). Would it not have made more sense to hang on to Perez for one more season (benefiting from the money he brings) and let Kev build some experience with a lower team first. I just think that if he has to accept being loaned out to a midfield team after racing for a front runner it might have a negative affect on him. Could be similar to how Jenson lost his way back in 2001. Then again I am presuming a lot here and things could turn out very differently!

In fact its actually worse now because there isnt even a smaller team for Kevin to get a drive with (unless maybe Catherham) if McLaren do decide to keep Jenson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Magnussen had the stuffing knocked out of him by a few harsh penalties mid-season and then the uncertainty of his future. Button only pulled away from him towards the end of the season. For a rookie in a difficult car against a settled, quality teammate, he did alright.

Five seasons is long enough at a team like McLaren with no championship. He was clear lead driver for two of their worst seasons. I don't know why he wants to stay there let alone go through this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Just heard Button has got it

Kevin Magnussen
    I really hope so. Daily mail reporting it but I wouldnt put too much faith in their 'impeccable source within McLaren'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Kevin Magnussen
    Jenson is the sensible option. His form in the second half of the season shows he's still got a lot to offer. He's out raced Magnussen hands down this season in terms of points scoring, and just about shaded the qualifying battle. There is nothing more he could have possibly done to keep his seat for next year.

I'd hate to see Button leave F1. He come across as such as calm, likeable guy and has a genuine love for the sport. The grid would be much worse off without him. Hopefully McLaren do the right thing.

Alonso and Button could be a very interesting pairing....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Kevin Magnussen
    We're not the only ones tired of waiting
    10606031_675288772583743_557084023246529327_n.jpg?oh=89c6039174754a78e65d7e262a32a9bc&oe=5513B025&__gda__=1430491765_7a4ea187884d49913c7e66da45c654da

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Kevin Magnussen
    The BBC are reporting that its being announced tomorrow that its Alonso and Button next season. Not much else being reported atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 yankdotcom

im going with Magnussen hes the long term option

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Button and Alonso, interesting!

Final seats:
    Mercedes - Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg
    Red Bull - Daniel Ricciardo and Daniil Kvyat
    Williams - Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas
    Ferrari - Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen
    McLaren - Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button
    Force India - Nico Hulkenberg and Sergio Perez
    Toro Rosso - Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz Jr
    Lotus - Pastor Maldonado and Romain Grosjean
    Sauber - Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson

• Advertisement