Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longer Barrel Than Original / Standard - Some Questions

Options
  • 08-12-2014 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys.

I know a barrel with a narrower bore is a common upgrade for many people, but does anyone replace OE barrels with longer ones (either normal- or tight-bore), for better accuracy and/or range, or even aesthetics?

I know most models (specially M4 types) are widely available as standard in various barrel-lengths, but if you already have a gun with a "normal" or short barrel, and want a longer one, how do you go about it?

I imagine the mechanics & process of replacing the old barrel with a new longer barrel would be the same regardless of the length of the new barrel going in?

But if you do want a longer barrel, and don't want longer rails/front hand grip (muzzle?), how do you accommodate the extra length of barrel that will extend/protrude past the front rail/hand-grip/outer barrel?

Fit an appropriate-length suppressor, where the longer barrel will be protected/covered?

Fit a new (appropriately longer) outer barrel?

Thanks for any replies.

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Adzski

Hi again Mark :-)

I have a G&G Raider GR15 which came with a 363mm standard barrel.

I had fitted a 111mm suppressor and then bought a MadBull SteelBull 455mm barrel, which fitted in perfectly.

I did not run any tests to verify the effectiveness of the change in barrel length (as new one was a tighter bore, it would be pointless), but the upgrade was well worth it ;-)

Regards,

Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Thanks for that. I had imagined the simplest solution would be to add a silencer. How is the longer barrel held secure at the end? Does the extra few inches mean anything in terms of the barrel's solidness or firmness?

Been dicking around with mock-ups of what son's G36C might look like with longer barrel (tighter bore of course) and a silencer. G36C may be common or not perceived as cool or exciting, but I've always liked it.

HK G36C.jpg

I like the look of G36's......mean :-)

Extended barrel was OK in the suppressor, but I added some loft insulation in to pack it out/firm it up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Supertoucher

Unless something has changed in recent times I thought the accepted opinion is that increased inner barrel length does not increase accuracy due to the fact you are not shooting a rifled projectile (but rather a glorified musket if you will).

However, it will affect the matching of the cylinder. As far as i'm aware the cylinder in your gearbox is matched to the relative air volume of the inner barrel and so theoretically this should be altered to match if you change your barrel.

As a result and with reagrds to aesthetics, i've never seen reason to extend the inner barrel when increasing the length of the front end for the reasons above.

However, the real life results may show otherwise.

I think barrel extensions do potentially have an effect on fps though.

As a result and with reagrds to aesthetics, i've never seen reason to extend the inner barrel when increasing the length of the front end for the reasons above.

However, the real life results may show otherwise.

My thinking (with zero experience) was that if there's 8" of un-lined suppressor attached to the end of the outer barrel, there'd be a risk of the BB clattering off the inside of the suppressor after exiting the end of the standard-length barrel? So a longer barrel would effectively line the inside of the suppressor, providing safe passage for the BB through the suppressor - no?
    I think barrel extensions do potentially have an effect on fps though.

Which way - higher or lower fps?

Thanks,

Mark

• Advertisement

Mark#1 wrote: »
    My thinking (with zero experience) was that if there's 8" of un-lined suppressor attached to the end of the outer barrel, there'd be a risk of the BB clattering off the inside of the suppressor after exiting the end of the standard-length barrel?

I only have one supressor and so it may be different for other types, but the diameter of the bore of the supressor isn't anywhere near as tight as what an inner barrel would be - nowhere close Therefore, as long as the supressor is true and the mounts are reasonably good - I don't see why it would contact the supressor. I'd go as far to say that you'd have to have a very defective supressor or mounting arrangement for it to be an issue.
    Mark#1 wrote: »
    Which way - higher or lower fps?

From what i've seen (I can't post links as i'm "new") it would suggest that assuming the barrel bore remains the same size, lengthening the barrel increases FPS.

This is the suppressor we're looking at for my son's AEGs:

http://www.airsofteire.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1980&category_id=32&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

http://www.airsofteire.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/5e2b18b7af99a537b1feec1020334e56.jpg

"FMA silencers have an internal spring that runs the length of the silencer, to protect the sound damping foam from BB strikes."

That line, and the pic of the product suggests to me (in the case of this suppressor at least) that a longer barrel might make sense.

Can't imagine it'd do any harm to have the longer barrel, IF you're going to leave the suppressor in place permanently...

Thanks again,

Mark

From what I can see Mark, the reason that spring is there is because once you've inserted the foam rings into the supressor, there isn't anything stopping them from moving around inside the supressor, which means, that they could potentially move around during rough use, and get in the way of the BB's travel.

The spring effectively prevents the foam from moving around and thus getting in the way.

My supressor has a solid core with no foam and spring components, and there is no way BB's would contact the supressor unless it bent it.

By all means extend the barrel if you wish - all i'm saying is that I personally wouldn't as I don't believe it has any positive effects, in fact possibly negative ones if it causes issues with the cylinder volume and if it raises FPS values to above site/legal limits.

As SuperToucher says, my suppressor is the same, large, smooth inner bore.

Lots of information on the internet with regards to barrel lengths and the usual conflict of information and difference of opinion with regards to accuracy, FPS etc.

Personally, I had a slight increase in FPS (+/- 285 > +/- 295), but accuracy was the major factor....seriously improved the distance grouping.

Cheers,

Adam

Advertisement