Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugar Free Diet

Options
  • 05-12-2014 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

So I'm going to start it in January.
    Currently 11.5 stone, 5 7" (mid 30's). Want to loose 1 stone. I also don't want to beat myself up over Christmas & enjoy food/drinks within reason.
    Anybody have any recipes to share??
    Current diet Mon-Fri:
    Coffee with milk for breakfast x 2 and strong!
    Apple & 2 crackers with butter during day
    Stir fry veg with chicken/steak for dinner or 3 eggs with ham, cheese & tomato omelette.
    Snack: 2 rice cakes or small chocolate bar.
    Weekend's I always have a take - away for dinner 1 of the days.
    2 5k runs during the week and I'm on my feet a lot at work.
    Any sugar free recipes for lunch/dinner/snacks very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TeamJesus

Hmm is that a chocolate bar I see? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BrowmThomas

The obvious thing to give up I know 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

What exercise do you do?

Just 2, 5k runs per week. I work 9 hour days and walk around for at least half that.
    I will up the running in January also when it gets brighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TeamJesus

I find it easier to cut out sugar than cut down (a bit like a drug addict). I cut it out regularly but usually slip at this time if year.

If that's not for you L-glutamine is a brilliant supplement for getting rid of sugar cravings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

That's the kind of sugar-free diet I like to see...one with lots of sugar.

Thanks TeamJesus, I'm better cutting it completely.
    I just want to plan ahead so I can get organised and get it "into my head" what I should be having so I don't cave.
    Generic2012...I know it's full of sugar, looks so bad when I write down current diet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

There's no such thing as sugar free and the concept is crazy. You need sugar! Change your thinking to having a healthy balanced lifestyle for long term well-being and ignore fads.

Eat well, exercise and vary your life.

I believe that there is far too much sugar in our diets - processed sugars that is. Just want to cut them and try live a little healthier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'd say... if you're not in too much of a rush...

Cut out the take away (it's gonna be january... you don't need to be spending the money in january :) ). Try cutting out the Crackers and the Chocolate Bar. Also don't have the cheese with the omlette. Maybe try cutting down the main meals by 10% (don't overdo it). Finally try 1 extra 5k a week.

Remember the change of body shape doesn't show up immediately.
    Also, you'll need to be strict with yourself on eating the lesser amounts. Belly doesn't like that. Sometimes water can help. I find activities (where I don't eat) as distractions (mainly running long distance) help.

Weight yourself on after the holidays (05 January Maybe?) and then on the first day of Feb to check how you progressed. You can decide then to either cut more, stay going as you are or reintroduce some extra food back (in case you're losing too much)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I am a fan of low carb high fat (lchf) lifestyle

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I believe that there is far too much sugar in our diets - processed sugars that is. Just want to cut them and try live a little healthier.

Look up some tips from a macrobiotic diet on what to have. You are certainly right about that. They have heavy japanese influence a lot too and it's delicious.

I ate in a macrobiotic restaurant in the Netherlands, the chef looked 20 and was 42, I've never felt better after eating a meal than there either. There must be something in the water but anyway he has lived "sugar free" for 25 years and looked damn well from it.

If you give up sugar you don't crave it after a while, it's essentially an addiction. Other foods start to taste sweeter too.

Book you'd probably be interested in
    http://www.amazon.com/Sugar-Blues-William-Dufty/dp/0446343129

Cheers Slydice, I'll certainly take that on board.
    I love my food so I'll definitely have to drink lots of water and figure out distractions and hope that works.
    Amdublin, I cut potato/bread/rice and noodles to try cut my carb intake. It has really helped my stomach, just need to cut some more I guess.

Thanks a mil Tar.Aldarion, I will look at that that. I love Japanese food but I'm only good at making roasts etc. - the typical "mammy" dinners and not great at the healthier ones as I don't always know what flavours work best together.
    Cheers for the advice guys.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If there is one skill to pick up, it is cooking. Slowly but surely is the best. Good luck

My problem is I can bake and cook....just not the really healthy things. I blame my Mammy lol.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭brianw1

Read into the Paleo diet, sounds like what you're trying to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Slydice wrote: »
    I'd say... if you're not in too much of a rush...

Cut out the take away (it's gonna be january... you don't need to be spending the money in january :) ). Try cutting out the Crackers and the Chocolate Bar. Also don't have the cheese with the omlette. Maybe try cutting down the main meals by 10% (don't overdo it). Finally try 1 extra 5k a week.

Remember the change of body shape doesn't show up immediately.
    Also, you'll need to be strict with yourself on eating the lesser amounts. Belly doesn't like that. Sometimes water can help. I find activities (where I don't eat) as distractions (mainly running long distance) help.

Weight yourself on after the holidays (05 January Maybe?) and then on the first day of Feb to check how you progressed. You can decide then to either cut more, stay going as you are or reintroduce some extra food back (in case you're losing too much)

Why would you recommend he cut out cheese? Cheese is absolutely lovely and also good for you!

Thanks brianw1. Will look into it.
    Jingle_balls...I'm a she!!😐
    I can see myself I eat too much when I look at how much I eat during the day. Just looking for some alternatives that are easy to stick to and healthier than I'm having at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Why would you recommend he cut out cheese? Cheese is absolutely lovely and also good for you!

Fully agree. Anyone who recommendeds cutting cheese should not be giving advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

My problem is I can bake and cook....just not the really healthy things. I blame my Mammy lol.
    Thanks again.

Google is your friend. If I'm stuck for ideas I type into the search bar "*main ingredient* and" and see what pops up on the drop down menu.
    The BBC website has a good recipe section.
    Jamie Oliver's website is good for trying different foods.
    Just follow the recipe, simple really. You know how to bake and cook already so now just to learn the healthy recipes.

I eat LCHF and it's great imo. I've never felt better and never looked better. Lots of improvements for me.

The initial cut is a difficult adjustment but if you stick at it strong for 10 days you will start to feel the benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

So I'm going to start it in January.
    Currently 11.5 stone, 5 7" (mid 30's). Want to loose 1 stone. I also don't want to beat myself up over Christmas & enjoy food/drinks within reason.
    Anybody have any recipes to share??
    Current diet Mon-Fri:
    Coffee with milk for breakfast x 2 and strong!
    Apple & 2 crackers with butter during day
    Stir fry veg with chicken/steak for dinner or 3 eggs with ham, cheese & tomato omelette.
    Snack: 2 rice cakes or small chocolate bar.
    Weekend's I always have a take - away for dinner 1 of the days.
    2 5k runs during the week and I'm on my feet a lot at work.
    Any sugar free recipes for lunch/dinner/snacks very welcome.

Hello OP!
    Am the same height (and age) as you.

I will just give you some pointers that Ive found helps.

Your breakfast is not good enough. Its an oldie, but a truey, if you eat a proper breakfast, it really sets you up for the day. I would advise you eat more protein at breakfast. 2 boiled eggs (small piece of toast) piece of fruit. Or scrambled eggs. Or gluten free brown bread. Or an omlette with tomato. Or some salmon (you like fish, lucky you-I dislike fish).

Also, building muscle is far more beneficial in your mid-30s. We (as human beings) our body starts to loose muscle mass. Especially for tone. So, maybe with your running, could you perhaps do some weight training? You would 100% see benefit to this. Especially coupled with your running.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I will take it all on board.
    I will definitely look up the websites and see. If I come up with the recipe ideas before and be organised, I am more likely to stay focused.
    I cannot stomach food in the mornings but will look into it. I have never tried weights, maybe it is something I will take up for the new year :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Crappyghost

Hi BrownThomas,

On a similar type of diet myself, cutting out sugar and as much processed food as possible. Your current breakfast looks dreadful if you dont mind me saying. Also there is a lot of needless snacking in there. if you eat well at breakfast lunch and dinner you could eliminate the snacking. Typical breakfast for me could be:

2 weetabix made up with hot water and an avocado,
    40g ready break made up with hot water and an avocado,
    A bowel of Avocado scoops, blueberries, greek yogurt and some nuts,

if i have more time i might have 3-4 scrambled egg, 2 pieces crispy bacon and a green smoothie.

Cant go wrong with these, virtually no sugar in those breakfasts and they fill me until about 2.

😐 ha, ha! Thanks Crappyghost - made me laugh about breakfast but you are so right!!
    I had intended waiting until January to start but I have had 2 Weetabix with a little milk & hot water and also all bran with banana and a little milk the past few days - I find it SO hard to stomach it but need to sort the diet out.
    I like to keep eggs for dinner but will start veg stir fries in January so will try scrambled egg for a change then.
    Thanks a mil for the tips, really appreciate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Crappyghost

Your definitely doing yourself a HUGE favor by cutting out the sugar. If you must satisfy a sweet tooth you could have dark chocolate, peanut butter, dry roast nuts, cream, diet drinks. All pretty much sugarless.

But to really tackle weight loss you could consider limiting your carb intake and eating more fats.

I will try those thanks, I stopped the diet drinks a few months ago so it's just water and coffee now - a little milk some days.
    Carbs have ALWAYS been my downfall. For me, I want to loose a stone to get to 10.5 - I don't want to be skinny just heathy. Currently a size 14 is too big, very near a 12. Want to drop 1 more size.
    Your suggestions are very welcome - I'm putting daily plans into my head so I will be organised come January ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Hi Browmthomas,

I made a change in my diet last March a few months after my 4th child. My aim was to cut added sugars and processed food. I messed around a bit and really put my head down in August and this combined with exercise has pushed a huge change in my weight, my health, my energy levels and my taste in food.

Firstly I cut out white carbs and changed to maccambridge bread and brown pasta and rice. In fact I now eat brown rice pasta which I get in tesco or health food shop.

I started eating quinoa - I use that a lot or cous cous for lunches and I mix this with either salad or roast vegetables for lunch.

There is not a trace of processed foods in my cupboard with the exception of tinned tomatos and passata.

We all have lazy days cooking wise so before I would run to the local shop and get frozen pizza, now I cook on the first Saturday of the month curries, bolagnaises, stews, casseroles and freeze them for those lazy days.

Lots of salad or veg with dinner.

I don't do things like flora - its butter all the way.

For breakfast I will have egg, yeast free bread or porridge (this is the only thing that I will put sugar into because I can't stand it without) fage yoghurt with berries, banana and a teeny bit of honey.

Dinner or lunch are simple but with fresh food so if it's not quinoa its wraps with roast chicken leftovers and lots of salad.

Dinner is the usual, stew, bolagnaise, curry, meat and two veg but it's all made fresh and I watch the portions.

I used to calorie count and weigh portions but now I have a fair idea so I don't need to.

No chocolate, biscuits, crisps. There will come a time when you will be able to happily eat just one biscuit or bar and leave it at that and genuinely have no interest but I feel you have to cut them all first for a few months. That is just my personal experience.

I also watched a few things on Netflix , YouTube which really hit home why I was doing what I was doing. Hungry for change which is about juicing but the sugar part is well explained, the men who made us fat on YouTube is excellent and Fed Up.

I was 13.5 stone and now 11.5. People are looking at me asking what I am doing. It's great feeling. I am the same height as you so my work is not done yet but I really am getting there.

Best of luck

Thanks SO much Deer for taking the time.
    Sounds exactly what I want to do.
    I already only have brown rice/bread, don't eat pasta but I find if I eat 1 slice of bread or 1 potato my stomach gets really bloated. It's torture as I LOVE Carbs - esp this time of year when it's so cold.
    Will try the quinoa and cousin cousin etc.
    I hope you are right re the chocolate!!
    I will refer back to your post when planning - and by the way, well done you, that's a fantastic achievement and not easy I'm sure with the little people ☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

No bothers!

And yes - for Christmas the house is stocked with sweets and drinks and I have zero interest in any of them. This time last year I would have gone through a ridiculous amount, fizzy drinks, sweets, crisps - all at bedtime. And cake too. It's really liberating not to feel you need them. But you do have to be mercenary and when someone's pushing a tin of roses at you or whatever telling you it's no harm - it is! But you are also choosing the worst time of year so do what you can, be as good as you can and don't use the excuse that you fell down one day to fall down every day. I don't think I am on a diet - I am just eating like I should. When you do cut everything btw you will feel like crap and just be prepared for that.

If you are working, invest in a slow cooker and google receipes - there are tonnes so your dinner is ready when you get home. Same with the quinoa and cous cous, google receipes for those. They are not the be all and all they are just things I eat myself.

And be prepared!if you are hungry you are more likely to go for the more tempting option. If you have back up, premise lunch, nice food in freezer then you are more likely to eat that and not want those treats.

So last Christmas I was feasting on chocolate - this year I am looking forward to some nice cheese and pate!

And feel free to pm if you wish.

Also check those programmes out!

Advertisement