Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where did you meet your gf/partner/oh etc

Options
  • 05-12-2014 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hey I saw this done on TLL - could be interesting?!

I met my only significant gf (now ex) on a night out with friends - through mutual friends.....any other girls I've met have mostly been on nights out with drink onboard

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Tinder. I know some people give it a bad rap, but it's just a modern way to get introduced. I've got a few of my friends on it and several have met their OH's on it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭skallywag

Internet, back in a day when you were a weirdo / pervert etc for not meeting a woman 'the normal way'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Work

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr Detail

In college 5 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Pub - The Long Hall.

i'll never forget it. She jumped me lol

• Advertisement

I developed an addiction to live music. And I built a social life up around organising pre gig meetups for bands and singers I liked - by picking a place near the venue - and then posting a time and stuff on the web site forums of those bands and singers.

Many of the people I have met and still call friend - including my current relationship - was through doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Online dating. Anotherfriend.ie Then got married to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Pof. Was talking to her for six months before we met. been going our for 8 months now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

In the Red Cow. Had been trying the online dating thing for a while, but gave up on it, and met my OH completely out of the blue just over a year ago now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

In the smoking section outside of Bruxelles. The only think I can thank Fianna Fail for!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Sleepy wrote: »
    In the smoking section outside of Bruxelles. The only think I can thank Fianna Fail for!

Smoking ban has probably got more people laid and kick started more relationships than any other single piece of legislation passed in the history of law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

A Comedy Club

We were both working behind the bar. Lust at first sight. We both quit a week later hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

A girl invited me to a party. I ended up with her housemate!

Still together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

The Parnell Mooney - a friend was leaving his job and invited me along to the party

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

In a club on a night when I really didn't want to go out. My housemate at the time stretched my arm to go out and I reluctantly agreed.

Spotted her early in the night across the dance floor and thought she was stunning. Through drunkenness and general messing never went up to talk to her. Roll forward to the end of the night and collecting my coat from the cloakroom and feel a tap on my shoulder. She asks me for my number and the rest is history.

Probably owe my mate a pint come to think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭iphone6

In work thank god I left we'd of seen way to much of each other

Boards beers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

Nothing exciting, through mutual friends at 18. Coming up to 8 years now though, we were both still at school when we met.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

POF, chatted for a 2 weeks before meeting up, just celebrated 6 months last Sunday:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

a psychiatric hospital

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I bumped into her one night outside a chippers. I knocked the food out of her hand so I offered to buy her a bag of chips which we ended up sharing. I said to her if you give me your phone number I can take you out for a proper meal sometime. So she did and a week later we were having dinner in Abrakebabra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I bumped into her one night outside a chippers. I knocked the food out of her hand so I offered to buy her a bag of chips which we ended up sharing. I said to her if you give me your phone number I can take you out for a proper meal sometime. So she did and a week later we were having dinner in Abrakebabra.

Did she ever get that proper meal :D

Th current Mrs Jawgap I met at a dinner-thing (the first Mrs Jawgap having been disposed of via the divorce courts some months earlier). I was sat opposite her and we spent most of the night arguing. She doesn't post on boards.ie so I can conclusively say she lost the argument and was bowled over by rhetoric! There is no truth in the rumour that I spent a few days ruminating on the argument before engineering a meeting for round #2.........

.......10 years on I've still not managed to get the last word in;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

The previous mrs dgt I met in a nightcub, getting coats and magic happened on the stairs, we lasted a good while though!

Currently Tinder has gotten me a few dates so far, I'm just happy to be dating again...!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

dgt wrote: »
    The previous mrs dgt I met in a nightcub, getting coats and magic happened on the stairs, we lasted a good while though!

Currently Tinder has gotten me a few dates so far, I'm just happy to be dating again...!

Is dating looking for a relationship or is it just going places & doing things with people with no real intent beyond passing the time pleasantly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox

At a funeral. :D

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I'd known her forever. I couldn't believe we ended up in the same office. Then one day at work I just knew I felt something more. While for her, well, we were just mates. Then out of the blue she asks me to this charity ball thing. And I texted her, just for a joke really "is this a date?", and she texted back "I don't know, is it?".

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

2010, I stayed the night at the lads house (college house) after a night out. Woke up at 2pm th next day to strange voices downstairs (lads all at work), ran down, painfully hungover.. turns out there was a new girl moving into the spare room in the house. They key to her room wouldn't work so her dad borrowed a ladder from a neighbour and me and him moved her stuff into the room via her open bedroom window. She went home wit her dad that day but when she moved up properly we had a night out as a housewarming and we kissed. She says the moment she saw me, she just knew there was something.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

College. done the same course together. Together 4 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

furiousox wrote: »
    At a funeral. :D

Dirty fecker ye. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

Asked the soldier on the main gate of McKee barracks to call me a taxi, and got chatting while waiting. Took the plunge and numbers were swapped. 15 years later, we're married with 2 kids and one on the way.

I believe in not letting an opportunity pass you by, step out of your comfort zone.

Advertisement