Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a pint

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Wetherspoons are paying a lot less for that keg of Heineken than the traditional pubs.

That's why they don't do Guinness. Diagio refused to lower their keg price for them.

They said that they refused to pay Diageo more for Guinness in Ireland than they pay them for it in the UK.

They are a big player across the water but for an Irish supplier they are at the moment a small customer. I wouldn't be surprised if Heineken gave them a good deal to stock their brands instead of Diageo.

Could other Irish pubs not do the same, offer smaller suppliers exclusivity for a better price?
    El Weirdo wrote: »
    I may be completely wrong, but I don't think they are allowed to. I want to say something about competition law.

Someone else may know a bit more about it.

Grouping together to set consumer prices is illegal. Grouping together to get a better deal with a trade supplier is not illegal.
    Have never been in one, but a pub with no roaring music and no sports tv sounds like a great pub to me. Add in cheap pints and its a done deal.
    I dont suppose we'll be lucky enough to get them to open in Cork?

Early next year.
    Formerly known as Newport Café
    Paul Street Plaza, Cork City Centre,
    Co. Cork

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/

Menu + Pricelist, a good selection of beers for €2.50-3.00 No doubt the usual lot will find some reason to denounce them because they are not "real" Irish pubs but as far as I am concerned being able to go out and have a few pints and a decent bite to eat for less than €20 beats spending €50 for the same + a supposed better ambience.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

SIX PACK wrote: »
    Government should lower the excise duty by €1 a pint €3.50 to €4 is enough to give. More people might have a drink in pub then Instead of buying at Off licence.

the government should have brought in cafe bar legislation. However all the back benchers are publicans and so that never happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

"Craft beers" are often just an excuse for publicans to add an extra euro or two to the price of a pint.

Well it's not massed produced so it costs more to produce the same quantity of beer.

It's like comparing imported beer to local prices from where the beer came from, of course it's going to be more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Early next year.
    Formerly known as Newport Café
    Paul Street Plaza, Cork City Centre,
    Co. Cork

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/

Menu + Pricelist, a good selection of beers for €2.50-3.00 No doubt the usual lot will find some reason to denounce them because they are not "real" Irish pubs but as far as I am concerned being able to go out and have a few pints and a decent bite to eat for less than €20 beats spending €50 for the same + a supposed better ambience.

Couldnt agree more!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

6.50 for a can of scrumpy jack poured into a plastic glass in the 3 Arena

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭shy-tall-knight

3 pints for a ten or eleven euro is a fair price for everyone, customer and publican. Handing over more than a five euro note for a pint is criminal. And don't get me started on "splits" and "a dash".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Caliden wrote: »
    You've made the mistake of thinking that a change in duty will be reflected in the price.

Yep the vat went down but the price went up..publicans on moaning all over the telly about *costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Tony EH wrote: »
    €9.50 for a badly pulled "pint" of 1664 in Paris.

Top Trumps.
    €10.20 for a pint of Guinness in Norway :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Know a pub where I'm from (in Ireland not Germany) bragging that they give pints of lager/cider for 13.50? So 4.50 a pint. Sounds like the price of a normal pint without being ripped off. Here in Germany now and these guys do it so so right. 2.50 for a pint of decent beer 3.00 for a good pint of beer. The emphasis is on bottles in a lot of bars though. Even then the bottles are the same volume as a pint and are the same price as a pint. I love this place. In general though I think Irish publicans are lazy sods in terms of what they offer and need to get in line with what people can afford. No sympathy for pubs in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well it's not massed produced so it costs more to produce the same quantity of beer.

It's like comparing imported beer to local prices from where the beer came from, of course it's going to be more expensive.

Again wetherspoons are offering many craft or smaller production beers for far less than you would get a mainstream beer in another establishment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Mesrine65 wrote: »

€3.50 at one my locals

Mesrine65 wrote: »

Yeah that's the Nordic countries though, they have obscene taxes on alcohol due to the longer nights and suicide issues

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

That's why they don't do Guinness. Diagio refused to lower their keg price for them.
    yeah they refused to pay more here, than they do in the uk and they are right, why should they! It wont make much of a difference to Diageo now with only the Blackrock spoons open, but it will when they have 50+ pubs open & that is if Diageo come crawling back then, they should tell them to sling their hook, out of principle... If someone want to pay an extra 50% for a guiness next door because the beamish or murphys isnt to their taste, then let them IMO...

Wetherspoon do have tv's, so they will show the Irish soccer games and rugby if it is on... If its so expensive to have sky and tv and the publicans are attributing that as part of the reason a pint is so expensive. Id suggest getting rid of it, for the most part, people go in there to drink, not watch sport if it isnt a sports bar...
    Well then the other pubs should apply for the same keg prices, and I know they don't do Diageo which to me is a bonus to drinking there as I think more places should be telling Diageo to go fvck themselves due to their ****ty business practices, forward the craft revolution I say.
    Irish people need to start getting over the myth that Guinness can make or break a pub.
    I usually drink Heineken, I always thought it was a Diageo drink, wont be drinking anything else now, when out in the typical places where you can only get heineken, Coors, Bud etc...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I usually drink Heineken, I always thought it was a Diageo drink, wont be drinking anything else now, when out in the typical places where you can only get heineken, Coors, Bud etc...

Im the same unless there are some craft beers I know of and are reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Wetherspoon do have tv's, so they will show the Irish soccer games and rugby if it is on... If its so expensive to have sky and tv and the publicans are attributing that as part of the reason a pint is so expensive. Id suggest getting rid of it, for the most part, people go in there to drink, not watch sport if it isnt a sports bar...
    Ah, I thought that they didn't have TVs. They didn't when they started in the UK, iirc.

But Sky is an overhead that has to be taken into consideration when talking about the price of a pint. My local got rid of it a couple of years ago and trade definitely suffered. So much that it's back in there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Ah, I thought that they didn't have TVs. They didn't when they started in the UK, iirc.
    yeah they definitely do, multiple references to the recent international rugby matches on their facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/TheThreeTunTavern

Personally the only matches I would have any interest in will likely be shown, Irish rugby and soccer internationals and some of the champions league stuff when it gets to the serious stuff...
    But Sky is an overhead that has to be taken into consideration when talking about the price of a pint. My local got rid of it a couple of years ago and trade definitely suffered. So much that it's back in there now.

There is a place for both our traditional pub and Wetherspoons, if I had one locally, I would definitely use it, cheap drink and a place you can actually chat to people and not have to roar over people or be distracted by the endless sport on tv, most of which I have no interest in...

Advertisement