Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chat bot?

Options
  • 04-12-2014 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

last night and again tonight a chat bot appears shortly after I log in to boards. I'm on iPad and the boards window disappears replaced by a bot called samantha27. Same text each night. Houston, we have a problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Pls edit thread title: typo.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Can you post some screenshots?

My initial thoughts are that it's something on your end of things, rather than on the forum - that when you log in, the page is being redirected somewhere else....

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Getting nothing here. Could be something malicious on your end?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Is this still a problem for you? I didn't notice anything different.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Clear on multiple devices here. Definitely sounds like an issue with your device/router

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

If i was to pinpoint it, it seems to be in the you laugh you lose thread. I am on a corporate laptop, that i can guarentee is on a stock corporate build nothing dodgy been done on it.

When i click onto the YLYL thread a popup with some dating website popped up.

It seems to be intermittent i cant duplicate and shut it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

YLYL occasionally causes problems because browsers get malware alerts because someone has hot-linked to a dodgy site. 100% of the time these things have happened that's been the reason.

Unfortunately, 100% of the time anyone's reported some sort of "hack" like this, it's been some form of malware that's running on their machine, but this is the first time I've seen it reported on an iOS device. OP, can you tell me what browser you're using and if it's a jailbroken device or not?

Dav wrote: »
    YLYL occasionally causes problems because browsers get malware alerts because someone has hot-linked to a dodgy site. 100% of the time these things have happened that's been the reason.

Unfortunately, 100% of the time anyone's reported some sort of "hack" like this, it's been some form of malware that's running on their machine, but this is the first time I've seen it reported on an iOS device. OP, can you tell me what browser you're using and if it's a jailbroken device or not?

Happened on my ipad lastnight using the default browser, not jailbroken.

OK, I'm first of all, moving this to Site Dev, cause it's not a FB issue, but more importantly, opening an urgent investigation.

Calhoun and CantRemember - can you tell me any other details? What forum, what site the pop-ups were coming from or trying to direct you to - anything that might help me track this down?

This hasn't appeared since. It doesn't appear on any other forum I use and I use a few. I use chrome on iPad. There was no website visible. Just a grey page divided in two. The "chat" was the same each night from Sam27 which made it obviously a bot. If I get it again will screenshot but will have to Degeo first: too many nosy b******s in AH!
    Sorry, it wasn't a pop up. Filled the full screen. I quit it by hitting the back button I think. I have to confess I call Samantha27 a lot of nasty names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

ok, so have got this message a few times, only when I'm on boards.ie. Client chat message ? From "Samantha" 4.7 miles away. I was in another location yesterday. Same message popped up. Hubby says he's had the same message. Both of us on iPads. What's this anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Sounds like an ad. Is it just at the side or bottom of the page? If it is I'd just ignore it like you would with any other ad you see on web pages. Or use an adblocker program.

This is a problem. There's a thread in Sys forum. Site development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Jaysus and I thought I had I had got lucky! Treacherous bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭degsie

Saaaamaaaathaaaaaaaaaaa....hmmmmm...

Stalker?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Screen capture it if it happens again.

JoseJones wrote: »
    Sounds like an ad. Is it just at the side or bottom of the page? If it is I'd just ignore it like you would with any other ad you see on web pages. Or use an adblocker program.

It appears as a a small window in the middle of the screen and a new page opens. Not at the side, so don't think it's an ad.

Me too! Samantha. Says 4.7 miles from home. Happened in another location also. And also same for hubby. Both on iPads.

Only happened on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Odelay

last night and again tonight a chat bot appears shortly after I log in to boards. I'm on iPad and the boards window disappears replaced by a bot called samantha27. Same text each night. Houston, we have a problem.[/quote.

I have had the exact same issue the last two nights too using an android tablet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Im seeing the same on my S5 running android. If I click the link it redirects to daterex.com and then redirects automatically 5 or 6 times.

Only seeing this issue on boards. And i use the phone a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Ahh fair enough, does sound like a strange problem then. It is probably some type of popup ad but annoying that it's opening a new window. Can you download an adblocker? I'm not familiar with iOS devices. I often see ads like this designed to look like facebook chat windows etc.

Merged 2 threads on this issue, we are investigating, but it's not an easy one to track down. Were you on Windows PC's I'd have already dismissed it as Malware, but that's a lot less frequent on iOS devices.

It's being looked at this morning, but we really need as much possible information as we can get - does this attempt to link off somewhere? What threads you were on when you saw it? Does it say it's from some specific website? Anything at all you can tell us about this to help us identify what it is would be a big help.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I got this when I clicked (by mistake) on the Quick Reply button a few days ago. I'm pretty sure I was on my laptop (not a Mac), but could have been on an Android tablet.

A full separate window opened up inviting me to chat with Samantha27.

I leapt for the back button, and closed the window down, so unfortunately can't remember any further details - but it was definitely the Quick Reply button that opened up the window.

Can't remember what thread I was in at the time, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Boards.ie: Chris

Any idea what ads were on the page Calhoun? Are you using Chrome on the iPad?

I was clicking from the user CP directly into this page, so the only add i believe would be the banner ad.

I am using the stock browser (safari i believe) that comes with the ipad.

I "think" I've found the ad in question. Just need to see how I can get it removed.

Didn't seem like an ad though. Samantha27. A small window opened in the middle of the screen. A new page opened at the same time. Then a couple of posts one after another for a minute or so. "Hello, are you still there?" And such. No sign of any ad or pictures though. I closed the page quickly.

Only on boards for us. Both on iPads.

What's a chat bot though? Should I be concerned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Sorry I can't be more specific. I was just browsing a few forums. It seems to be random for me.

• Advertisement

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    Didn't seem like an ad though. Samantha27. A small window opened in the middle of the screen. A new page opened at the same time. Then a couple of posts one after another for a minute or so. "Hello, are you still there?" And such. No sign of any ad or pictures though. I closed the page quickly.

Only on boards for us. Both on iPads.

What's a chat bot though? Should I be concerned?

The ads you see on the site contain code to make them work. The ads are written by the advertisers, submitted to an agency, and then we pull the ads from the agency to display on the site. The ads are supposed to be vetted by the agency to make sure they don't do anything you would want them to like play sounds, or in this case redirect you to another page. Unfortunately some fall through the cracks and this seems to be one of those.

A chatbot in itself isn't too malicious. It's purpose is to trick you into giving it your credit card or contact details. It pretends to be a real person starting a conversation with you (usually sexual) and quickly escalates into trying to get details off you. Unless you gave it your credit card number, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement