Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting rent

Options
  • 02-12-2014 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

What do you guys think is the fairest way to split the rent when your sharing a house/apartment with 2 other people?

I am moving in with a couple and they think the fairest way is for them to pay 60% and for me to pay 40%, since they will be sharing a room. This is considering that we actually find a 2 bedroom apartment or house. If it's a single room I'd be sleeping in I'd be paying less.

I just want the split to be as fair as possible for everyone involved and want to know what people think is the fairest way to go about this. I also don't want to fall out with my friends over this.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

It depends, are they going to get an ensuite?

I will say it's somewhere around 65%/35%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

word of advice. Dont move in with a couple.... But if you have to, then 65/35 at least, as they will dominate ALL of the common arease with coupleyness.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

word of advice. Dont move in with a couple.... But if you have to, then 65/35 at least, as they will dominate ALL of the common arease with coupleyness.

I'd echo this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

As well as any decision making regarding furniture/bits and pieces in the house, kitchen space, it's always two against one.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Not to mention when they have domestics or relationship issues you'll inevitable be dragged into them. Makes for a horrible living situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Jesus don't.

I used to work with a guy who lived with his GF in a house share. He could never understand why others didn't get it when he and his GF needed to have couple time, or why his housemates got annoyed.

If you can avoid it at all please do, you will always be on the backfoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 angrygrad

Thank you for all the replies and advice guys.

I have been living with this couple for the last 3 months and they are okay. We get along well as we're all best friends and haven't had any major problems. They seem to be getting along well too as a couple. Any minor problems got sorted out pretty quickly (leaving dirty dishes, leaving washing in the washing machine, leaving stale food in the fridge etc).

I have my boyfriend over frequently for couple time too so I'd be a bit of a hypocrite if I said I had a problem with them wanting to be together all the time. I'm pretty laid back when it comes to people needing their alone time, and if I hear any noises or laughing etc I just use my earphones.

The only issue I most likely will have will be the boyfriend spending all his time in the sitting room and I would like to spend time there too. How would I go about approaching the issue of equally sharing the living area? A timetable? First come first served?

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

This might be an interesting read for you, someone put a lot of thought into this and from a first glance seem very fair.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=50603395

As for the living room and sharing it, the common areas of a shared house are exactly that..shared. No-one should be allowed to monopolise it. If you want private time, that's what your bedroom is for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 angrygrad

@Aye Bosun

That is super helpful and fair! Thank you so much for posting that. Appreciate it.

Thats fair what you said about the living room too :)

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭anonyanony

angrygrad wrote: »
    @Aye Bosun

That is super helpful and fair! Thank you so much for posting that. Appreciate it.

Thats fair what you said about the living room too :)

Thanks!

You could also come to an agreement that they let the place and sub lease to you, that way if it becomes uncomfortable you can go without any cost to you. They might find having you around an issue also you won't know to you are there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,349 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Zealous, but sometimes you need that: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054867603

• Registered Users Posts: 20,112 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I lived with a few guys and moved to another place with one of the guys and my partner so he was living with a couple. We made ever effort to encourage him to make homely touches to common area when we moved in but he never really did. So we started putting our bits of memorabilia out like photos and paintings.

We told him that he could put up anything he wanted at any time and we wouldn't take any offence but he didn't really have much stuff. The nesting instinct is pretty strong in couples so they are likely to invest more in the communal areas.

We had been together for about 8 years so we were a stable couple and we don't tend to have loud fights or throw things.

All in all it worked out great with us all together. He would say we dominated thecommon areas, which we probably did but we also cleaned a hell of a lot more than he did and took care of bills and subscriptions.

Then his partner moved in and we got the other end of the stick. She was moody and they had big loud rows. We were all good friends so after a few months we had a chat about it and they toned it down.

I suppose I'm saying it can work out but I wouldn't be optimistic about such a new couple.

If it is up to the 2 of you equally then you should be calm but certain that you don't want to live with a couple. If he really wants to live with her then he should move into their own place. If he is just suggesting moving her in because you have a spare room and he thinks there will be a breakfast of champions waiting for him each morning, then you are heading for disaster

Advertisement