Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Equitable Houseshare - how to split bills when sharing a house with people

Options
  • 28-12-2005 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭

Comments welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You put a lot of work into that......
    I would never have thought of working out the floor areas in that way. It does make a lot of sense I suppose, even if it does seem very clinical in nature.

I would put a rather large weighting on en-suites (over and above the other private space).

Hmmm- things to think about.....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can be as scientific or unscientific as you want. I was just trying to cover all the bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

I found this guide really useful (thanks for creating it) ... until I lost it! Perhaps you could put it in the Resources sticky ... I don't think it's in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

It's fairly standard in France to do a breakdown like that afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thats a really nice doc!
    Victor did you do that all yourself?, if so kudos, nice work!
    Wish I had something like that in the past when sharing with others. Why not pop that into one of the stickies so others can use it as a template.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Could the name of this Sticky be broadened to something like:
    Saves repeat posts elsewhere in the forum

jdivision wrote: »
    Could the name of this Sticky be broadened to something like:
    Saves repeat posts elsewhere in the forum

Good idea.
    Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

That is very good! :D
    Only problem is getting other housemates to actually abide by all that. >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

here's a very simple excel sheet for calculating bills, I created it when we had a bill with 3 different sets of tenants within one billing period and all the meter readings were known, we just copied and pasted for each sucessive set of tenants.

The values are correct for a Bord Gais bill from Oct/Nov 2010, you may need to change the billing values

hope it helps someone - Quietsailor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

This is a joke right???? Seriously, if a document like this was produced when I was considering renting a place I'd run a mile. I've rented a lot of places over the years and have gotten along fine with housemates just by all of us following common sense and having basic respect for each other.

• Advertisement

This is a joke right???? Seriously, if a document like this was produced when I was considering renting a place I'd run a mile. I've rented a lot of places over the years and have gotten along fine with housemates just by all of us following common sense and having basic respect for each other.

Pete- the big problem is- while you and your mates might be only too happy to have a common sense approach to things- other people genuinely need to have things spelt out to them..... Personally, I'd be a tad unhappy and wondering just how anal my housemates were, if I was given something like this- but in the world we're in, if you don't dot every 'i' and cross every 't'- there are folk out there who are only too happy to make the most of any situation. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not advocating that the rules absolutely should be followed to the exact letter. However, there are many people who think that even though they have a bigger room and an en-suite and a friend who stays over 5 nights a week should pay exactly the same as the person with the box room.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

This is exactly why I would/could never share a house again..

People being people you will not get everybody to abide by the rules no matter how fair they appear or how much sense they make.

You will get alot of conflict in the house with trying to uphold the rules.

Especially if you are living with people who have moved out of home for the first time and don't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭velvet1989

it all looks very nice and all however as someone who shared with others before getting them to agree or actually stick to the agreement is another thing...i got left with a electricity bill a substantial one and it was in my name so pleaded and pleaded but to no avail had to pay it myself as i didnt want to be blacklisted when i move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭fionnmar

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054867603

I found the attachment in this thread, "the equitable houseshare" very useful.

Advertisement