Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room mate took all his stuff and left

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

anonyanony wrote: »
    She has full control of the place and everything can kick out problem people in a minute and look for a replacement and use the deposit to cover overdue bills. If you know you can cover it all if needs be, it's fine but unrealistic for a student be that financially secure.

I also did it this way but has pros and cons. You then have sole responsibility for payment if / when someone leaves.

OP a student once did the same to me but I went to the college and met his head tutor who got the money for me. I was so mad at him for leaving and he never expected me to go after him. He might think twice about doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

anonyanony wrote: »
    She has full control of the place and everything can kick out problem people in a minute and look for a replacement and use the deposit to cover overdue bills. If you know you can cover it all if needs be, it's fine but unrealistic for a student be that financially secure.
    Have seen a few threads where the "mother hen" who has the months money for the bills and rent absconds, and the others find out that they now need to somehow get the money owed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭anonyanony

the_syco wrote: »
    Have seen a few threads where the "mother hen" who has the months money for the bills and rent absconds, and the others find out that they now need to somehow get the money owed.

Bills not in their names they don't have to pay anything owed, they can just leave scott free or create a new account in one of their names and the companies will chase the mother hen that ran. I am guessing licenses would not tell LL as they have no contact with LL hen left till they used amount of time and deposit they had paid for.

I am guessing mother hen did not give notice for them to leave before running but that part would get ugly but landlord would have to evict them and go after the mother hen for expenses I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

If this guy has skipped out and you're now responsible for filling the room, then why not fill it and say nothing to the landlord?

Get a new guy in, take his deposit and use it to settle the rest of the outstanding bills, split whats left between you and your housemates for your troubles and think no more about it.

When time comes to leave, the LL will have a full deposit amount from the lad who bunked and can give it back (minus any deductions) to your beautiful new housemate.

Simples. :D

The guy who legged it has forfeited his deposit and the LL might just look at this as an opportunity to pocket the money as he has no obligation to return it, leaving you and your mates liable for the bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

martomcg wrote: »
    If this guy has skipped out and you're now responsible for filling the room, then why not fill it and say nothing to the landlord?

Get a new guy in, take his deposit and use it to settle the rest of the outstanding bills, split whats left between you and your housemates for your troubles and think no more about it.

When time comes to leave, the LL will have a full deposit amount from the lad who bunked and can give it back (minus any deductions) to your beautiful new housemate.

Simples. :D

The guy who legged it has forfeited his deposit and the LL might just look at this as an opportunity to pocket the money as he has no obligation to return it, leaving you and your mates liable for the bills.

How is getting a new person in and taking their deposit to pay someone elses bills any better than the landlord stealing it, better to inform the landlord so the runners deposit can be used, then get the new person in to provide their own deposit.
    This craic of passing on deposits to outgoing tenants is like a pyramid scheme, where the last person in the door gets stung as they have no agreement with the landlord, and no rights really if the landlord didnt agree to their presence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Think he's saying to get a new guy in and pay the bills with the old guys deposit the use the rest to put a hit on him.

Advertisement