Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fully Baked Left Wing Vegan Cookies

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

jank wrote: »
    In relation to universities and their policy of 'free speech'
    Is that an offer to host the conference at your place?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I don't own or run a university campus so no, as if it has anything to do with the article anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shaymus27

Middle class people joined the catholic church in ireland to be superior and tell everyone else what to do.

Now middle class people in Ireland and the uk join the politically correct church and tell everyone else what to do.

The PC brigade preach to hear the sound of their own voices and lecture others.

They influence legislation with their PC views.

They have lived lives usually not impacted by poverty, crime and the realities of living in the real world those who grew up in deprived areas have experienced. They intellectualise everything to such an extent that a lot of what they say is complete and utter nonsense and a 10 year old child from a deprived background would make more sense as they haven't had the luxury of talking hot air to other hot air talkers about intellectual concepts. Get these PC types to live in a deprived area for a year and it might knock the hot air out of them.

PC people have the arrogance to tell people what they can and cannot think. It is control, self importance, arrogance and is disrespectful to those who disagree with them as the laws of some western countries have been framed by the PC people. They have laws on their side to curtail people's freedom to disagree with them.

We've gone from Religious control to PC control. Progress ???????????????????????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

shaymus27 wrote: »
    Middle class people joined the catholic church in ireland to be superior and tell everyone else what to do.

Now middle class people in Ireland and the uk join the politically correct church and tell everyone else what to do.

They have lived lives usually not impacted by poverty, crime and the realities of living in the real world those who grew up in deprived areas have experienced. They intellectualise everything to such an extent that a lot of what they say is complete and utter nonsense and a 10 year old child from a deprived background would make more sense as they haven't had the luxury of talking hot air to other hot air talkers about intellectual concepts. Get these PC types to live in a deprived area for a year and it might knock the hot air out of them.

PC people have the arrogance to tell people what they can and cannot think. It is control, self importance, arrogance and is disrespectful to those who disagree with them as the laws of some western countries have been framed by the PC people. They have laws on their side to curtail people's freedom to disagree with them.

We've gone from Religious control to PC control. Progress ???????????????????????????????????

I'm not seeing why somebody would be less "PC" by living in a deprived area......

Nodin wrote: »
    I'm not seeing why somebody would be less "PC" by living in a deprived area......

If you were from a deprived area you would.

For years the PC brigade defended what decent people from deprived areas refer to as so and so's (only more colourfully). The people from deprived areas did not buy in to how these "so and so's" were victims of society as the decent people from deprived areas had to live day in and day out with these so and so's and were affected in a negative way by them.

Reality for those in deprived areas is different to that for those middle class PC types. There is no room for hot-air notions in deprived areas.

Not saying at all that people from poorer areas have no sense of decency or great values. I am talking about PC nonsense. It started off well intentioned but now is full of hot air nonsense.

• Advertisement

If you were from a(.........)intentioned but now is full of hot air nonsense.

Who are these "so and sos" and why are they not "victims of society"?

Who are these "so and sos" and why are they not "victims of society"?

People who would scrape your car, put your window in, intimidate you if you looked crooked at them. People who live near you and if you rang the police about them you would regret it. People from middled class areas tend not to live near them (as a general rule).

The other people who are decent may be victims of society also if that's your line but they don't want to make any else a victim by being nasty to them, beating them up, getting anyone addicted to drugs, leaving syringes on the ground for kids to pick up. Robbing people who leave their door open for a minute and forget about the door being open.

An actor from fair city who played Billy Meehan was on the late late. He said his parents won a small sum on the lotto. They lived in Drimnagh. Hardly south county dublin pc types. They were broken in to as word got around they won something on the lotto. I can't remember the exact details but the break-in had a dreadful affect on the health and lives of his parents. You don't get this in middleclass areas.

I know a man who was beaten up by 2 victims of society for his money. He will never walk again after being kicked in the head and body. His life is over. Never will marry, have children. Years of physio, operations ahead.

Enough replies. Live in a deprived area for a year and see how PC you are and how much sympathy you have for victims of society if they end up making you a victim of them.

robindch wrote: »
    In relation to universities and their policy of 'free speech':

http://www.littleatoms.com/queens-university-belfast-cancels-charlie-hebdo-conference
    Is that an offer to host the conference at your place?
    I don't own or run a university campus so no [...]
    You wouldn't need to own a university. You could, for example, openly offer your services to help run it somewhere else. Or you could set up and run a social media campaign, letter-write, picket the university etc, etc.

I'd hate to think you're criticizing somebody for not doing something you wouldn't like to do yourself.

People who would scrape your car, put your window in, intimidate you if you looked crooked at them. People who live near you and if you rang the police about them you would regret it. People from middled class areas tend not to live near them (as a general rule).

Criminal elements, half-lunatics, sociopathic types then.

What is it we aren't allowed say about them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

So basically you're just having a whine because you're no longer allowed to call black people, or Poles, or Jews (or other peoples) by derogatory names.

Nice to know where you stand.

• Advertisement

So basically you're just having a whine because you're no longer allowed to call black people, or Poles, or Jews (or other peoples) by derogatory names.

Nice to know where you stand.

You have no idea where I stand.

I know where you stand. I mentioned it in my post. PC people have goes at people who disagree with them.

You know nothing about me yet you jump to insane conclusions. Typical PC person. Anyone who isn't PC is a racist.

This is exactly the ridiculousness of PC people I refer to.

Thanks for proving my point. I couldn't have done it as well without your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Ok guys, drinking game - every time the term 'PC' is mentioned, down a shot - we'll be 'PC gone mad' in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Ok guys, drinking game - every time the term 'PC' is mentioned, down a shot - we'll be 'PC gone mad' in no time.

It would be suicide to play that game.

Ok guys, drinking game - every time the term 'PC' is mentioned, down a shot - we

I'll use the term Laptop next time.

robindch wrote: »
    You wouldn't need to own a university. You could, for example, openly offer your services to help run it somewhere else. Or you could set up and run a social media campaign, letter-write, picket the university etc, etc.

I'd hate to think you're criticizing somebody for not doing something you wouldn't like to do yourself.

Hmmm, it all seems very 'I volunteered in Africa, so there!!' type of argument you encounter among insecure early 20 something's.

It seems your very eager, almost too eager Robin to climb that high moral horse. Do as I say, not as I do. After all this is a discussion forum, I await you use the above argument across the board in this forum for every single post by other posters..... nope don't think so.

As an aside, you do not know what I do, nor do in a personal capacity, nor am I going to tell you either, as if again it has anything in relation with the actual train in this thread, universities across the western world being less than open to the concept of free speech. Engage in the central premise of the topic if you want but sly, backhanded petty, insecure arguments such as the one you are putting forward now are best left in other mediums.

Queens University in Calgary, Canada back in 2013 tore down a free speech wall within 24 hours of it being erected.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/queens-university-free-speech-wall-seized-by-security-guards

Why are administrators so scared of a medium that allows students to express themselves without fear of censorship?

Even students are afraid of it.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2013/01/30/a-canadian-college-student-vandalizes-free-speech-wall-then-claims-moral-high-ground/
    Last week at Carleton University in Ottawa, Canada, this student tore down a “free speech wall” display that a libertarian student group had set up on campus. Such displays usually take the form of a large, blank sheet of paper on which students are invited to write anything they like. Student groups sponsor the displays as a way of demonstrating that universities need not fear open expression. In a self-congratulatory letter, also posted publicly on Facebook, Smith explained that his vigilante censorship was a “moral imperative” because the wall created the potential for “hate speech,” and asserted that it was somehow an insult that it was erected during the college’s gay pride week.

In fact, there were reportedly no anti-gay slurs on the free speech wall. The closest anyone came was writing “traditional marriage is awesome.” But that didn’t matter to Smith, whose vandalism wasn’t in response to a specific statement. His problem was with the idea of unfettered free speech, which he (and too many others) see as a problem in and of itself. By creating a space for speech that lacked restrictions, Smith contended, the libertarian student group had created a space that was not “safe” for students who might be offended by the products of free expression.

Following on that logic, I contend that A&A may hurt my feelings, therefore demand it be shutdown.... just in case, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Queens University in Calgary, Canada back in 2013 tore down a free speech wall within 24 hours of it being erected.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/queens-university-free-speech-wall-seized-by-security-guards

Why are administrators so scared of a medium that allows students to express themselves without fear of censorship?

Even students are afraid of it.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2013/01/30/a-canadian-college-student-vandalizes-free-speech-wall-then-claims-moral-high-ground/

Following on that logic, I contend that A&A may hurt my feelings, therefore demand it be shutdown.... just in case, like.
    I think there is a growing tendency in UK universities to restrict free speech. There are plenty of events being postponed or cancelled.

The Lawyers Secular Society has had a couple cancelled in fairly recent times, one of them was to be a discussion of restriction of freedom of speech in universities hosted by the free speech society. :rolleyes:

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

MrPudding wrote: »
    I think there is a growing tendency in UK universities to restrict free speech. There are plenty of events being postponed or cancelled.

The Lawyers Secular Society has had a couple cancelled in fairly recent times, one of them was to be a discussion of restriction of freedom of speech in universities hosted by the free speech society. :rolleyes:

MrP

In broadly the same vein, was I reading about an anti-racism rally in a British uni where whites were invited not to attend? Sorry I don't have the details to hand (and I may well have got it wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

pauldla wrote: »
    In broadly the same vein, was I reading about an anti-racism rally in a British uni where whites were invited not to attend? Sorry I don't have the details to hand (and I may well have got it wrong).
    I read this and thought no one would be stupid enough to ban a race of people from an anti-racism meeting. Seems I was wrong.

White people, men 'banned' from diversity meeting at London Goldsmiths University

Hmmm, it all seems very 'I volunteered in Africa, so there!!' type of argument you encounter among insecure early 20 something's.

It seems your very eager, almost too eager Robin to climb that high moral horse. Do as I say, not as I do.
    Not in the slightest - I'm simply suggesting that you should perhaps consider whether or not it's wise for you to criticize a group for not doing something you seem noticeably uncomfortable with doing yourself.

The only high moral horse here is the one you just fell off :)

• Advertisement

MrPudding wrote: »
    I think there is a growing tendency in UK universities to restrict free speech. There are plenty of events being postponed or cancelled. The Lawyers Secular Society has had a couple cancelled in fairly recent times, one of them was to be a discussion of restriction of freedom of speech in universities hosted by the free speech society. :rolleyes:
    Yes, there seem to be an increasing number of reports of this kind of nonsense, though it's hard to see whether it's a general trend or whether it's just the result of more effective reporting.

At the levels I'm aware of, at least, I see less evidence of a general conspiracy and more of occasional instances of independent, twitchy jobsworths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

You have no idea where I stand.

Actually I do, you outlined it in great detail with your "PC gone mad" bovine excrement.

Actually I do, you outlined it in great detail with your "PC gone mad" bovine excrement.

Why did you refer to race in your previous post?

I never mentioned race at all.

You referred to race for no reason other than the fact that I suggested PC has gone overboard and has become ridiculous.

I can only infer that in your opinion anyone who is against PC is a racist which makes no sense whatsoever. This is exactly the PC nonsense I refer to.

Your attitude to my disagreeing with PC is intolerant of other people who differ from you. Kind of like racism.

You have no respect for my opinion because it differs from your own. Kind of like fascism.

You use terms of abuse in your last post. Kind of like hatred for those who aren't like you.

Between the two of us I have a belief of which of us is the nicer, more respectful, tolerant, non-abusive, sane, respectful person.

It isn't you.

Why did you refer (..............), respectful person.

It isn't you.

If we might refer to the discussion at hand,

Care to get back to me?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95200698&postcount=340

4 shots for anyone whos playing the game!

If we might refer to the discussion at hand,

Care to get back to me?

I think you have some neck Nodin to refer to my posts to talk about getting back to the subject at hand while ignoring the childish nonsense another poster has posted.

Do all PC people gang up on the non PC people?

My points are valid as they expose the new type of PC people in this country who seem to be more concerned with telling others how to behave while behaving in a disrespectful way themselves. This is very relevant to the way people who occupy university and government appointed body positions are beginning to think and speak - in a ridiculous PC way.

I dont think I can do this much longer

I think you have some neck Nodin to refer to my posts to talk about getting back to the subject at hand while ignoring the childish nonsense another poster has posted.

Do all PC people gang up on the non PC people?

My points are valid as they expose the new type of PC people in this country who seem to be more concerned with telling others how to behave while behaving in a disrespectful way themselves. This is very relevant to the way people who occupy university and government appointed body positions are beginning to think and speak - in a ridiculous PC way.

I'm still trying to discover precisely what your points are, hence my referral back to my earlier question.

I'm still trying to discover precisely what your points are, hence my referral back to my earlier question.

You are better at making childish pithy comments than making points.

You haven't answered why you asked me to get back to the topic while ignoring the other poster's abusive pointless childish comment.

Tell me - why did you not tell him to get back to the subject?????????????

My comment was far more intelligent and not personally abusive yet you chose to ask me to get back.

You have not referred to my point as to whether all PC people gang up on non-PC people.

I think you should go back to your college canteen and congratulate yourself on how PC you are. Your and others' comments really do seem that childish.

There is no need to answer your pointless earlier question. The answer is in what I wrote but you seem more intent on asking the next one line pointless question that comes to mind.

Thanks to you and others on this thread for showing yourselves up to be intolerant "bullies" who like to gang up on anyone who isn't like you.

It's exactly what I have always thought about the Catholic Church and PC people preaching to others while not being decent, respectful, tolerant people themselves.

Thanks again, I couldn't have done it without you.

• Advertisement

You are better at making childish pithy comments than making points.

You haven't answered why you asked me to get back to the topic while ignoring the other poster's abusive pointless childish comment.

Tell me - why did you not tell him to get back to the subject?????????????

My comment was far more intelligent and not personally abusive yet you chose to ask me to get back.

.....to get back to me with an answer which would explain what, precisely, your point is.

Advertisement