Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Stop Design

Options
  • 30-11-2014 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭

Do the NTA have a manual on this?

Over the last number of years, most Dublin Bus stops were renewed with kessel kerbs. In general, bus drivers aim to stop at the yellow Dublin Bus stop. What baffles me is that many of the current stops have the pole in the middle of the kessel kerbing or even at the beginning. Why is it not at the end of the kerbing, giving the driver a target of pulling up the the end of the bus bay? Surely this should be mandatory now in an age where the NTA are specifying buses with multiple sets of doors?

Similarly, why oh why are RTPI signs still being installed in positions that are out of the field of view of passengers waiting? (People generally stand in a position that faces the direction the bus is expected to come from!) The signs should be installed at the 'near' end of the bus bay, the opposite end from the stop, so that passengers do not have to turn around to look at the sign.
    Also the signs at stops with shelters should be far enough back that people waiting under the shelter can see them!

Current setup in places:
    nLWAzMc.png

What I believe the setup should be:
    mUM7zKW.png

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Ah Here, Sher the nta were putting up rtpi signs before they knew if there was power for them, to expect them to be in the right place....
    I complained about the luas rtpi signs before and was pooh poohed away, by the just move on the platform to see them excuse....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭xper

Who's to say the manual would be read? My personal favourite is the southbound stop on the Main Street in Bray. As part of a complete overhaul of the street last year, they moved the stop about 6-8m so that it was adjacent to a wider stretch of footpath and installed kessel kerbing. They put the bus stop sign at the right end ... but also installed a new street light and reinstated a large postbox spaced out in the middle of the stop, right next to the kessel kerbing. Muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Actually the bus stop should not be at the start of the bus stop cage markings. There has to be enough space for the bus to pull out from the stop, otherwise cars would be blocking them.

The cage should be big enough to allow buses to safely:

1) Approach
    2) Straighten up
    3) Stop
    4) Exit

I would venture to suggest that the majority of stops in Dublin are not properly designed to allow for this.

There are also numerous stops where if a driver aligned the bus correctly at the bus stop pole, which is where the front door is supposed to be, the centre doors are actually obstructed by trees, lamp posts and railings!

TfL have an excellent manual on this topic:
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/accessibile-bus-stop-design-guidance.pdf

I'm told that the NTA are working on this subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Incidentally, whoever approved the design of the bus terminus at UCD ought to be hung out to dry.

It is impossible for buses on the 17 to line up properly with the kerb at the stop.

How it could be thought possible is quite beyond me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement