Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight loss while taking antidepressants

Options
  • 30-11-2014 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My cousin and I are currently on a pre-Christmas shape-up routine. We've been counting calories (we're on about 1400 a day) and we do spin or kettlebell classes 3 times a week in addition to walking etc.

In the past month, I've lost 5lb but my cousin has lost none. We're of similar height and weight etc, the only real difference between us is she is on antidepressants (Lexapro). She is convinced that they are to blame for her not losing weight.

Has anyone noticed antidepressants making a difference to weight loss? She's not in a position to stop taking them so not looking for medical advice or anything, just wondering if anyone has noticed if they make a difference.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

It doesn't happen to everyone but according to a study 25% of people on antidepressants gain weight:

http://www.webmd.com/depression/features/antidepressants-weight-gain

Anecdotally I have a couple of friends who've taken them and all gained substantial amounts of weight in a short period of time. Some had no weight problems ever before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I think it can depend both on the antidepressant and the individual.

I personally take a weight-neutral anti-depressant, it doesn't either stimulate nor suppress my appetite. It seems to be widely recognised for being weight-neutral BUT in a small amount of people, it causes weight gain.

Thing is though, your cuz needs to take the anti-depressant that works for her and not the one that doesn't cause weight gain. If it is also a weight neutral one, that's just incidental.

She should maybe talk to her doc though about maybe trialing one more known for being weight-neutral. Only the doctor can advise her really on how to do it right.

Advertisement