Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

poly tunnel calf rearing

Options
  • 29-11-2014 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Anyone ever tried a 10x20 ft poly tunnel to rear a batch of 8 to 10 calves? They are only 210 euro to buy and look sound enough? could it work? Any ideas or suggestions please would be great! This is my first post do hope its ok
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Neighbour of ours has a polytunnel in a paddock that he puts sheep in now and then. The polytunnel is only a year old. He left the doors open at both ends, the sheep go in there to shelter. They have pretty much wrecked the polytunnel now though (such a waste of a state-of-the-art polytunnel :confused:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 learnabout

aonb wrote: »
    Neighbour of ours has a polytunnel in a paddock that he puts sheep in now and then. The polytunnel is only a year old. He left the doors open at both ends, the sheep go in there to shelter. They have pretty much wrecked the polytunnel now though (such a waste of a state-of-the-art polytunnel :confused:)
    in what way have they wrecked it? Chewed it or just run through the plastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I dont think that they ran through it or chewed it, but jostling and pushing through the doors etc? They were ram lambs. I think the neighbour had given up on the polytunnel, then let the lambs in to that paddock for the first time ever, and didnt bother to protect the tunnel in any way. Someone more knowlegable than me will probably have more informative advice for you viz the calves

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd think a tunnel for calves would be too hard to regulate temperature and ventilation. You'd be plagued with pneumonia type problems.
    And calves by their nature want to chew/suck everything in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭case5130

There was a crowd at the ploughing this year that done them the roof was a string plastic and on the side it was like that wind breaker stuff and closer to the ground they where lined with ply or stock board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

aonb wrote: »

It's not easy for small Stock to wreck a tunnel - the doors can take a bit of a beating -come off hinges ect- other than that it's the plastic ,that's designed to be changed anyway ! Maybe if there was a roll up ventilation system on the side walls ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

I wouldn't let animals into a tunnel without having the proper protection in place for the structure itself, otherwise what's the point, only valdalising your own property.

I'll have four sided pens inside mine, with a fence around the outside. Sheep will butt and chew anything, while with cattle they'll try to eat most things or use their weight to scratch and destroy something accidentally. Always the stock owners fault IMO.

Advertisement