Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those triangle candle lights people put in their windows...

Options
  • 28-11-2014 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

Do they have any significance to them? Just I never saw them in Australia and it seems like everyone here in Ireland has them in their windows.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

You see them here and UK mostly
    they set off a nice Christmassy ambiance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Do you mean candle bridges? Like this?

1283868966-18473800.jpg

http://www.castlegatelights.co.uk/lighting-type-c16/7-light-candle-bridge-welcome-light-in-oak-stained-finish-p11245

Pretty sure there's no significance or anything they just look nice and as the above poster said, they give a nice Christmassy feel to the place too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Im not made on them at all tbh. Them and fiber optic angels are two of my least favourite christmas decorations. Especially if every window at the front of the house has the fake candle thing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Candles were put in the windows as a way of signifying that Mary and Joseph are welcome (i.e. they won't be turned away at the Inn), when I was growing up as the youngest in the family it was my job to light the candles, i.e. plug them in.

These started out as normal candles, then as ornamental, then when people spotted the dangers, into plugged in version, then evolved into more elaborate. As with a lot of things, started off as 1 thing and just evolved into something else, personally I like them as they remind me of my mother bringing me to the windows in the house to turn on the lights, made me feel super important and a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,850 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Are they not a Jewish thing that has spread beyond just Jewish windows? Can't remember the name right now.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Are they not a Jewish thing that has spread beyond just Jewish windows? Can't remember the name right now.....

It's like the Hanukkah candle, only thing is that candle has all the the candles the same height (imagine a lot of u's) rather than in an inverted-v

Advertisement