Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why cant Irish Radio Stations Just play music

Options
  • 28-11-2014 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

I listen to quite a bit of radio on my hour drive to and from work each day.

Every day Iam in the car i wish i could just find a bloody station that would play music, song after song. It is the same crap on every station, traffic reports, news, water charges, Ian Bailey, Joan Burton on my way to work and the same news again on my way from work. Why cant we have a station like Capital FM or BBC Radio1 in London. Upbeat Positive Radio.

I live in the west so have to listen to:

2fm - dated Station - dated presenters. unfunny jokes/breakfast shows.

Newstalk. same crap repeated every 5 mines

Today FM - boring. Sick of listening to Mario Rosensock Roy Keane sketches. Is that not over 10 years ago??

Ocean FM Sligo - death notices and 80's music

RTE Radio 1 - need to live in South Dublin/Dalkey or be a Doctor.

What do ye think.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

pretty much agree. way too much talk on the music stations. In dublin I find today fm talk to much and their news/sport goes on alot longer then everyone else and mario & ian are well past it, fm 104 have two immature clowns who do rubbish voice impressions and to many quizes, ray foley plays good music but talks to much and too many ads. Novas ok but worse of the lot has to be Spin. Their whole station seems to revolve around "celebrity" new and people no ones ever heard of actually doing anything to earn fame. RTE & Newstalk dont mind so much as they are talk stations if a little repetitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

Buy a CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭StreetLight

It's part of the reason why I got myself a car DAB radio for RTE Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

neris wrote: »
    pretty much agree. way too much talk on the music stations. In dublin I find today fm talk to much and their news/sport goes on alot longer then everyone else and mario & ian are well past it, fm 104 have two immature clowns who do rubbish voice impressions and to many quizes, ray foley plays good music but talks to much and too many ads. Novas ok but worse of the lot has to be Spin. Their whole station seems to revolve around "celebrity" new and people no ones ever heard of actually doing anything to earn fame. RTE & Newstalk dont mind so much as they are talk stations if a little repetitive.

those presenters on breakfast shows on nearly every station now. 30 something year olds, fake laughing, being immature with bad jokes like they are teenagers on the back of the school bus. really irritating and dated.

Buy a CD.

NOW 99 or whatever it is these days is just as bad.

• Advertisement

It's part of the reason why I got myself a car DAB radio for RTE Gold.

Hopefully some day, cars will have a built in wifi type technology and can listen to any station in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

It all went downhill when Will Leahy was dropped from the drivetime 2fm show.Colm Hayes is an absolute boring plank compared to him.Ian Dempsey in the morning on today fm is very good,Cant stand the crowd on the 2fm breakfast show,your not funny.Shag off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why don't you... you know... turn off the radio? Does you radio have a aux input?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Easy solution. Many cars come with CD players fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mickoc

Irish radio is absolute muck, get tune in radio and play it throught the car radio. you may need a good data plan. That's what I do .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

The main reason they don't just play music is because there's no differentiation between stations then, or between stations and your mp3 player, too easy to criticise the stations for not doing things, there are reasons they do things a certain way if there wasn't something between the songs there would be more people complaining about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

My local radio station play the same songs every morning for months what ever is popular at the time :mad: A few years ago they were playing that stupid song when you hit me hit me hard and followed it up with another stupid song I wasn't expecting that.

endacl wrote: »
    Easy solution. Many cars come with CD players fitted.

do people still buy cds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

I have a Citroen DS with a turntable in the back seat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

listen to TXFM. no "chat" shows from Mon-Fri. loads of good music.

some light chat mixed with music on some weekend shows, but that's about it.

http://www.txfm.ie/player/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I do most of my in car listening using the Absolute Radio app for their Classic Rock channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I think the radio only needs to be music and news.. I don't really care for hearing about the presenters life :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Radio Nova was a good one for continuous music, but now it's just ads and more ads. Watch out Nova, I might just go with internet radio cafe cody.

Can any-one else hear that music in the background ? sounds like fleetwood mac.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Radio Nova was a good one for continuous music, but now it's just ads and more ads. Watch out Nova, I might just go with internet radio cafe cody.

Actually having ads means they might stay in business...

Presented radio isn't cheap, terrestrial radio is even dearer - mainly because you actually have to pay for the music rights which a lot of online stations don't; as well as BAI levies and actual transmission costs. This is why stations have ads, and lots of them - each individual ad is quite cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

soc160 wrote: »
    The main reason they don't just play music is because there's no differentiation between stations then, or between stations and your mp3 player, too easy to criticise the stations for not doing things, there are reasons they do things a certain way if there wasn't something between the songs there would be more people complaining about that.

not in the UK they don't. seems the same few songs on a loop with this is and that was in between is enough for people. at least here they're is a good bit of speach content even if much of it is mundane rubbish. tunein is ones best bet for music only radio or if in dublin, the pirates

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Lads...Radio in Ireland is fooked.....end of!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

That's why I use either the TuneIn app or Spotify in my car. Admittedly that's not going to be an option for everybody but that's what I do. I had to spend the best part of an hour on a physio's table the other morning and thought I'd lose my life having to listen to the 2fm breakfast show. Admittedly there's not a lot you can do when you're lying on your stomach with needles stuck into the back of your neck :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

not in the UK they don't. seems the same few songs on a loop with this is and that was in between is enough for people. at least here they're is a good bit of speach content even if much of it is mundane rubbish. tunein is ones best bet for music only radio or if in dublin, the pirates

Not really sure what you mean the UK is a large market, admittedly I can only speak for the dublin market as I live there but assuming you mean most stations play the same music and have minimal talk is ridiculous, there are so many stations in the UK, based in different in locations so ita impossible to generalise and the UK is under a different duristicion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

L1011 wrote: »
    Actually having ads means they might stay in business...

Presented radio isn't cheap, terrestrial radio is even dearer - mainly because you actually have to pay for the music rights which a lot of online stations don't; as well as BAI levies and actual transmission costs. This is why stations have ads, and lots of them - each individual ad is quite cheap.

In all fairness, why do they call it a music-station if all they transmit is advertisements ? ie: more adverts - less music ?.

There is a problem with this... it's called greed. Radio Nova was good a few years ago and their motto was less talk more music, then they felt the sleeve of cash-notes regarding cost-price of ads and decided to forward more adverts between songs. this is what will kill a radio station in the end (more talk, less music).

With internet radio and such, these stations like Nova will decline and fall if they don't cop-on. Who wants to listen to the news every 30 minutes ? we already have many news-talk stations for the news. Advert after advert brainwashing you when all you want to listen to is a bit of nice music.

I fecked the TV in the skip years ago because of adverts, now I'll just use internet radio with no ads, happy days indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭worded

What ever about ads I don't want to listen to news every hour, the same news over and over ....

Internet radio with no ads is the way to go

Mont crief, he has a good show - enjoy that

For music - > internet / tune in radio ap
    Can someone post a link to it so people know what it loos like / does , I'm on a phone here

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Sadler32

Its crazy. Their motto is more music less talk, and I managed 2 weeks ago to drive from dublin to wexford without hearing a single song. How does that work......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Sadler32 wrote: »
    Its crazy. Their motto is more music less talk, and I managed 2 weeks ago to drive from dublin to wexford without hearing a single song. How does that work......

"More music less talk" is Q102, not Nova.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Sadler32

In Dublin most of the radio stations say it....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

it's easy to saybuy a cd/has your car an aux?
    but the question of why ireland has crap generic radio is a good one.

most of the small local stations are probably owned by consortiums. the national radio is what it is. 2 fm needs to be blown out of the water, but that will never happen.
    lyric fm is the only decent thing rte gives us. knowledgeable presenters who don't seem to mind shutting up and playing music.

i thought 4fm would be okay. but that's not happening. it seems to be the graveyard for the old dead dj's of 2fm from way back. god help us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

This drives me mad too the endless chat and ads on the radio. If i want news and chat i can tune into radio 1 and newstalk which cater for this but now all the radio stations are at it. 2fm should be a music station and nothing else. Why do they have Tubridy, Byrne and Hayes talking endless drivel i dont know. The same with Today fm with Darcy.
    You cant turn on my local station radio kerry at the moment especially on the run up to xmas with adverts. It seems nearly half their output now is either adverts or inane quizzes. Thank god i have an internet radio. Now if only it would work in the car!

Advertisement