Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog hit by car yesterday on Doughiska Rd..

Options
  • 27-11-2014 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

:( there was a nasty accident yesterday evening.
    Does anybody know if dog was saved or at least somebody called a vet to ease its pain?
    I really despise those people that live around there for letting all the dogs to run around free and I knew I was going to witness this at some point!
    Move your... and take your dogs for a walk people, don't let it be killed on the road.. grrr.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AndyKiely

I walk to work everyday and drive up and down the road and I see usually 3 or 4 little dogs pallying around together and it was something that I could always see happening. I'm just glad I wasn't there to witness it. As a dog owner myself I don't understand the leave your dog out to do what it likes mentality but that's just me. I hope the poor dogs injuries weren't severe and if they were I hope he wasn't in pain long. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Did you witness a dog getting knocked down OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kneesox

Cocolola wrote: »
    Did you witness a dog getting knocked down OP?

Yes unfortunately I did. It was a large dog and it was very shocking, it ended up under car and didnt die instantly. If I wasnt with my own dog who got really scared and started shaking and wanted ti run away I would call emergency vet and stayed there, sorry I couldnt. :(

Aside from the aspect that I hope the dog wasn't in pain for too long I hope the owner of the dog was tracked down and the car driver compensated for damage to the car.

Hitting a dog can do considerable damage to a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kneesox

Aside from the aspect that I hope the dog wasn't in pain for too long I hope the owner of the dog was tracked down and the car driver compensated for damage to the car.

Hitting a dog can do considerable damage to a car.

I couldn't care less about car after seeing that poor dog in agony.. (even if it was mine), but agree - ALL dogs should be microchiped and owners should be responsible for what happens after they let their dogs to run alone..

• Advertisement

kneesox wrote: »
    I couldn't care less about car after seeing that poor dog in agony.. (even if it was mine), but agree - ALL dogs should be microchiped and owners should be responsible for what happens after they let their dogs to run alone..

If you had a 1000 euro worth of damage to your car you would care. A dog ran in front of my aunt last year in her one week old car, over a grand worth of damage done. Lucky for her the dog limped home (so she found the owner) and after a lot of arguing she was compensated for the damage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

I saw a little dog run across that road, running underneath a moving car managing to not get hit by a wheel, then in front of a car coming in the opposite direction, just getting across in time. Miraculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

There are a couple of small dogs that run about and nearly take me off my bike coming down the hill

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

kneesox wrote: »
    I couldn't care less about car after seeing that poor dog in agony..
    Oh, you're one of those people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Intifada wrote: »
    Oh, you're one of those people

What does that mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What does that mean?

If you have to ask, then you don't need to know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I thought we had dog wardens in this city.

Why aren't all these muts rounded up and carted off to the pound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

"muts"? Didn't know I'd entered the Hanna Barbera 1960's timewarp forum.

^^^ I didn't have you down as one of the 'who reads newspapers anymore :rolleyes: brigade'.

Most people where I live (of all ages) call dogs muts.

Anyway, it doesn't answer my question. Why aren't these dogs rounded up and taken to the pound?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No room in the pound? Recently the GSPCA said they weren't taking in any more animals.

I thought they shot them in the pound after a certain period of time.

Why don't they just shoot all these stray muts dogs on the streets?

EDIT:

I don't mean shoot them on the streets. That would be dangerous in case they missed and hit a toddler or something instead.

No, round them up first. Then bring them to the pound and have them shot there.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Lapin wrote: »

EDIT:

I don't mean shoot them on the streets. That would be dangerous in case they missed and hit a toddler or something instead.

Are we definitely ruling out landmines?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

EDIT:

What!?

No, they give them a shot to put them down.

Are we definitely ruling out landmines?

I just snorted really loudly in a quiet office. I hope you're pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Barginhunter01

Neighbour was telling me about a dog limping in the area. Could be the same dog?

Das Kitty wrote: »
    No, they give them a shot to put them down.

Oh.

Fair enough, although it does seem a bit time consuming.

Still though, it doesn't answer my question.

If the pound is all full why don't they give the dogs that are already in it one of these shots to put them down and make room for more dogs like the ones wandering the streets out in Dougiska?

Then they can give them shots too.

Starting with this poor fooker.
    Neighbour was telling me about a dog limping in the area. Could be the same dog?

Put the wee sod out of its misery like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Oh.

Fair enough, although it does seem a bit time consuming.

Still though, it doesn't answer my question.

If the pound is all full why don't they give the dogs that are already in it one of these shots to put them down and make room for more dogs like the ones wandering the streets out in Dougiska?

Then they can give them shots too.

Starting with this poor fooker.

Put the wee sod out of its misery like.

Because it costs money, because the owner needs a chance to come and claim them, because there are procedures for destroying a stray, because the people working in a pound only put animals down as a last resort.

Because it costs money,
    Doesn't everything?
    Anyway, thats easily sorted as I explain neatly in my next point.
    because the owner needs a chance to come and claim them,

24 hours should be plenty of time. Anyone who doesn't claim their dog back in that space of time obviously doesn't care a damn about the poor mut.

Now, here's the money bit. Charge the owners a hefty fee to get Fido back. If they love the wee sod that much they won't mind paying. And they won't be so quick to let the little runt out chasing cars again. About €395 should cover it. Double that for a second offence.
    because there are procedures for destroying a stray,

Ya you told us that already. Shots like. Not gunshots but poison injections. I got that.
    because the people working in a pound only put animals down as a last resort.

But where do you draw the line on what is a last resort. There is already a problem, hence the reason the OP saw fit to start a thread on the matter.

Is that a last resort? Maybe not.

Someone else said a dog caused over €1000 worth of damage to a relative's car. Do we draw the line there? Ok maybe not, nobody got hurt.

Another poster was nearly taken off their bike by a few of these dogs. A frightening experience that could have caused them serious injury.

Thankfully that didn't happen so we'll let the dogs off with a caution on this occasion.

Now we have a poor dog limping around the place after being hit by a car. The poor thing must be in some disstress. Would it not be beyond the stages of last resort to put this poor sod out of its misery at this stage?

What is the last resort?

Wait till a pack of these dogs become spooked by something and maul the nearest innocent young child to its death ?

I'm sorry but its a bit late to be getting the syringe out then.

Or even the shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I get the feeling lapin already knows this and he's just going for the shock factor

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I get the feeling lapin already knows this and he's just going for the shock factor

No. I honestly thought they shot them.

And I cannot abide excuses for things not being done.

Because when something goes wrong, its usually the very people making the excuses who will ask why thigs weren't done.

Shock factor? No. I find it shocking that people seem to tolerate packs of stray dogs roaming freely around residential areas.

I don't live in Dougiska, but if I did, damned if I'd put up with that. Especially if I had small children.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I don't live in Doughiska, either, But I visit 2-3 times per week. And I don't like dogs, so would notice them.

And you know what .. I don't recall seeing 'em.

Mountain. Molehill. Much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Now, here's the money bit. Charge the owners a hefty fee to get Fido back.

Pounds do charge money for someone to take their dog back.
    Especially if I had small children.

Why "especially if you had small children"?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Doesn't everything?
    Anyway, thats easily sorted as I explain neatly in my next point.

24 hours should be plenty of time. Anyone who doesn't claim their dog back in that space of time obviously doesn't care a damn about the poor mut.

Now, here's the money bit. Charge the owners a hefty fee to get Fido back. If they love the wee sod that much they won't mind paying. And they won't be so quick to let the little runt out chasing cars again. About €395 should cover it. Double that for a second offence.

Ya you told us that already. Shots like. Not gunshots but poison injections. I got that.

But where do you draw the line on what is a last resort. There is already a problem, hence the reason the OP saw fit to start a thread on the matter.

Is that a last resort? Maybe not.

Someone else said a dog caused over €1000 worth of damage to a relative's car. Do we draw the line there? Ok maybe not, nobody got hurt.

Another poster was nearly taken off their bike by a few of these dogs. A frightening experience that could have caused them serious injury.

Thankfully that didn't happen so we'll let the dogs off with a caution on this occasion.

Now we have a poor dog limping around the place after being hit by a car. The poor thing must be in some disstress. Would it not be beyond the stages of last resort to put this poor sod out of its misery at this stage?

What is the last resort?

Wait till a pack of these dogs become spooked by something and maul the nearest innocent young child to its death ?

I'm sorry but its a bit late to be getting the syringe out then.

Or even the shotgun.

You are just too clever for this forum... you must know everything and how to fix everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's not get too personal. I don't want to have to put this thread down ;)

I don't live in Doughiska, either, But I visit 2-3 times per week. And I don't like dogs, so would notice them.

And you know what .. I don't recall seeing 'em.

Mountain. Molehill. Much.

Its ok folks.

Mrs O'Bumble said she saw nothing so obviously the problem doesn't exist.
    This is all "Mountains and molehills".
    The OP is obviously full of crap and making things up.
    Pounds do charge money for someone to take their dog back.

Not enough then. Make it €695. If someone loves their dog, they'll pay.
    Or maybe not let the little frig off the lead in the first place.
    With dog ownership comes a thing called responsibility.

Its time some dog owners copped on and learned that
    Why "especially if you had small children"?

Small children have less ability to defend themselves against attack from dogs.

They are also more likely to attract dogs due to their size, passive nature and lack of sense in the presence of dogs.

Most dogs are aware that adults will stand up to them so they tend to back when told to.

Childen are easier prey.

Read the papers.

I hope you don't have children yourself.
    daUbiq wrote: »
    You are just too clever for this forum... you must know everything and how to fix everything?

I never claimed that. Not once.

But you're right. I do know how to put things right and I'm not afraid to say it.

It that upsets people then tough. Some things have to be said.

Whats your problem with that?

biko wrote: »
    Let's not get too personal. I don't want to have to put this thread down ;)

A lot of people get personal when things don't go their way.

Not one single person on this thread has had the balls to offer a solution to the problem of stray dogs.

Not one.

They'd much rather attack others for asking questions and making suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I hope you don't have children yourself.

Why?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement