Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I believe I am a racist. What next?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

Not racist, just a bit anti-social IMO. With the other guy there it wouldn't have been that awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

So I hear your a racist now father

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MattD1349

Today i was invited to lunch in a restaurant I like a lot by a workmate. He also mentioned another chap who is foreign was coming. The problem is the foreign fellow has a very heavy accent (his english is decent) and I have difficulty understanding him .

So I refused and ate alone soley on the basis I'd be awkward for the hour making conversation with this lad .
    The foreign lad is a decent chap so it's not that I don't like him.

Since I refused to go to lunch soley based on his accent (but that is based on his race and where he is from) I made a racist decision. Therefore I believe I am now a racist.

Based on previous AH threads - I know that all incidents of racism are equal and we can't distingush between them. So I can't pass this off as a minor event.

What should I do next?
    Tell me AH.

Contact Aodhan O'Riordan, he seems to know that deep down all irish people are bigots & only he can carry the torch of enlightenment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Resign from your job and make a public apology. Don't make a public appearance for a decade and try and get some work in eastern Europe or the Middle East where they dont give a crap about this sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Today i was invited to lunch in a restaurant I like a lot by a workmate. He also mentioned another chap who is foreign was coming. The problem is the foreign fellow has a very heavy accent (his english is decent) and I have difficulty understanding him .

So I refused and ate alone soley on the basis I'd be awkward for the hour making conversation with this lad .
    The foreign lad is a decent chap so it's not that I don't like him.

Since I refused to go to lunch soley based on his accent (but that is based on his race and where he is from) I made a racist decision. Therefore I believe I am now a racist.

Based on previous AH threads - I know that all incidents of racism are equal and we can't distingush between them. So I can't pass this off as a minor event.

What should I do next?
    Tell me AH.

Go hang out with the other racists they will accept you. Well if you are all the same race.

You'll like the KKK lovely bunch of lads.

Good Luck OP. You'll need it.

Try not to get murdered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

So I hear your a racist now father

Beat me too it :(

Fecking Greeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I hate everyone equally .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Apparently, I suffer from xenophobia...

I bet I caught it off some fcuking foreigner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Apparently, I suffer from xenophobia...

I bet I caught it off some fcuking foreigner.

Probably one of them computer viruses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Don't worry about it, as was said earlier, we're all racist to some degree, you have the guts to admit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

To avoid missing further lunches, put some white sheets on and scare him away.

Foreigners fear ghosts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Good lord ah is quite understanding of Racists and peados next door...but dawdle at the atm and my god!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

You can apply for disability allowance now. Racists are deemed to be mentally unstable. So you got that going for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

In fairness, it would have been much worse if you had sat with him at lunch and immitated his accent the whole time to try and make each other feel more comfortable.

You are just being honest.

Plenty of people in the same boat wouldn't dare to be so honest, for fear of the 21st century "thought police" who will torment you and tell you exactly what is acceptable for you as a white Irish person to think, but will meanwhile force you to be completely tolerant of other people's beliefs and wouldn't dare lecture to them.

Everybody is racist by the modern description of what is racist, in fact I find more racism among non-Western people than among the "white devil".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

But what he did isn't racist. He even said he likes the guy. The opening post is tongue in cheek - poking fun at people who would consider it racist I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

You're not racist if you've a coloured telly at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

But what he did isn't racist. He even said he likes the guy. The opening post is tongue in cheek - poking fun at people who would consider it racist I guess.

Are people missing the tongue-in-cheekiness to it? :confused: Eh....how??

• Advertisement

You are just being honest.

Plenty of people in the same boat wouldn't dare to be so honest, for fear of the 21st century "thought police" who will torment you and tell you exactly what is acceptable for you as a white Irish person to think, but will meanwhile force you to be completely tolerant of other people's beliefs and wouldn't dare lecture to them.

Everybody is racist by the modern description of what is racist, in fact I find more racism among non-Western people than among the "white devil".

Really? You read that post and believed it was a genuine admission of being a racist? Mind-boggling. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

You'll have to get a taxi licence OP. It's the only logical next step.

Before dem furriners snap them all up.

Really? You read that post and believed it was a genuine admission of being a racist? Mind-boggling. :confused:
    Personally I didn't consider it racist by my definition of racist.

However, I think in the currently accepted parameters of what is racist (as defined by the internet keyboard warrior mob), I think they would consider it racist.

I always considered racism to be the belief that one race is completely superior to another, or to discriminate against someone based on their skin colour.

However, modern day idea of racism is much more sensitive.

Personally I didn't consider it racist by my definition of racist.

However, I think in the currently accepted parameters of what is racist (as defined by the internet keyboard warrior mob), I think they would consider it racist.

I always considered racism to be the belief that one race is completely superior to another, or to discriminate against someone based on their skin colour.

However, modern day idea of racism is much more sensitive.

...yet not one poster believed it was racist, not even the OP.

...yet not one poster believed it was racist, not even the OP.

I think that was due to the clever way the OP phrased it, the tongue in cheek nature and subtle caveats ("I like the guy, but......").

It's not too far off what the ultra-liberals would consider "racist", I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

All you had to do was sit so that the guy you can understand is sitting in-between you and the guy who speaks foreigner. Then every time he says something like "Pass the salt" you need to look at the other guy and say "translate". Make sure you do this even if you think you can make out the meaning behind his strange gabbled mutterings the foreigner makes as the last thing you would want is to mistakenly interpret "Its good to get out of the office for lunch" for "I will kill you and everyone you love" or vice versa. Eventually it will get to the stage where the other guy will translate for you without the need your instruction, you will just have to look at him.

Make sure that you address all comments you need to make to the foreigner through your translator friend too or alternatively speak loudly and slowly to the foreigner to avoid any possible misunderstandings.

Also if he needs to use the toilet remind him that in this country we sit on the toilet and that he should not to stand on the rim and squat. (Don't forget to tell him this through your translator or the speak loudly and slowly technique.)

Make sure he knows what he is eating as some foreigners don't eat some foods because of religious stuff and things. Before he orders ask him if he can eat what he wants. For example if he wants to have a chicken burger you should let him know that that will have chicken in it and is he sure he can eat chicken. Make sure to do impersonations of each animal the meet comes from so he knows exactly what he is getting (If you can do impersonations of the vegetables too that would be helpful). All this must be done trough the interpreter and make sure that his impersonations are accurate).

Remember in some foreign countries it is a complement to belch after a meal. As this guy is from some foreign country you should make sure to do this as long and loudly as possible.

Follow this advice and you will have a very nice lunch and avoid being thought of as a racist through not going.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Detached Retina

Feeling a bit socially Meh I would have thought, as opposed to racist :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Why I do believe our op was feelin just the teensiest little bit shy of the big foreign man with his sultry foreign tones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I find that really close-minded but I know you wouldnt be alone or anything. Its very limiting, you're limiting yourself with making social connections, professional connections. That is if this is a general attitude you have and not just a single instance of laziness?

I'm not saying it's anything got to do with racism btw

• Advertisement
Advertisement