Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Fire TV £69

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Interested to know how you get rte player on it. Is it sideloaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

doesn't look like a telly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Is it possible to use the voice search in the Kodi app?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭podge3

degsie wrote: »
    Yep, sideloaded.

Do-more wrote: »
    Is it possible to use the voice search in the Kodi app?
    No.

• Advertisement

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Is usb storage the only drawback, can network storage be used/accessed?
    Kodi can access NAS storage with this device.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dubal2008

you can buy over the counter in PC world Newry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

degsie wrote: »
    Yes. Sideloaded.

You can sideload using network adb or there's an app I mentioned above that does the same

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

What is the wifi like on these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Bountyfour70

Hi guys,
    I got mine today with PM.
    But I have 2 questions :
    - How to access my NAS, please?
    - Can we use usb key and now? it doesn't work for the moment, maybe I forgot something..
    thx
    Bounty

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

The only known was to use NAS on a Fire TV that isn't rooted is by using XBMC or Plex.

I can use USB storge because my Fire TV is jailbroken/rooted but you can't because yours isn't. Without the ability to jailbreak there is no way to use a USB storage. You would need Stick Mount App to do it but it requires root access which you cannot get on your new Fire TV. Only Fire TVs before July of last year that were rooted can do this.

The only known was to use NAS on a Fire TV that isn't rooted is by using XBMC or Plex.

I can use USB storge because my Fire TV is jailbroken/rooted but you can't because yours isn't. Without the ability to jailbreak there is no way to use a USB storage. You would need Stick Mount App to do it but it requires root access which you cannot get on your new Fire TV. Only Fire TVs before July of last year that were rooted can do this. Using your free Amazon coins to buy Plex is the best alternative to accessing what is on your computer's storage, such as movies and music files.

I can use USB storge because my Fire TV is jailbroken/rooted but you can't because yours isn't. Without the ability to jailbreak there is no way to use a USB storage. You would need Stick Mount App to do it but it requires root access which you cannot get on your new Fire TV. Only Fire TVs before July of last year that were rooted can do this. Using your free Amazon coins to buy Plex is the best alternative to accessing what is on your computer's storage, such as movies and music files, which I find way better than any form of NAS.

- How to access my NAS, please?
    Bounty
    Sideload something like ES File Explorer (might need something like WuKong remote for the mouse control)

- Can we use usb key and now? it doesn't work for the moment, maybe I forgot something..
    Bounty
    Not unless you can root your FTV. Read this

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

I bought one of these after xmas myself - very powerful box - compared to some of the android boxes out there. I was using a Jynxbox prior to this.

Side loading apps is very straightforward and you can also add Kodi /XBMC to the home screen using a dummy app

very well explained on the website below
    http://sideloadfiretv.com/

Also as mentioned - nas will work using plex (currently using this with my synology)

A very good purchase -imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bountyfour70

Thank you guys,
    but I don't understand all.
    My Nas is downstairs and my tv is upstairs .
    Is it possible to watch my differents movies with my FTV? How?
    With my Western Digital WD TV Live it worked very well...why not with FTV.
    Bounty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

groom wrote: »
    I've got both the Fire TV and the FTV Stick. Both are excellent. They run XBMC really well. I've got the Fire TV plugged into a home plug and the Stick only has wifi but it's hard to feel a difference. The remote that comes with the FTV is excellent, feels like an Apple TV remote. The one that comes with the stick is cheap feeling. There is an app called AFTV side loader that allows you to push apks to the devices and there are a couple of remote apps that give you mouse control so you can use apps like RTE Player that don't work with the remote

Before these devices I had an MK802 and an Ouya. They had the feel of being hacked together. These devices feel like end user devices.

Drawbacks are that none of the Amazon Prime content works in Ireland and they can't currently be rooted to allow USB storage.

I have Prime too. I have it setup for Hola Unblocker to route Prime content through the states. Works flawlessly. You need a USB mouse to set it up, but after that you're golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Its on at £64 until the 2nd March

link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

NATLOR wrote: »
    Its on at £64 until the 2nd March

link
    Much better value than ordering from China for anyone looking for an Android box to run XBMC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Got one a couple of weeks ago to replace appletv2, far superior item tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

damian139 wrote: »
    Got one a couple of weeks ago to replace appletv2, far superior item tbf

But isnt the Apple Tv 2 nearly 5 years old now? I would be amazed if the Fire TV wasnt far superior!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

branners69 wrote: »
    But isnt the Apple Tv 2 nearly 5 years old now? I would be amazed if the Fire TV wasnt far superior!

I'd have persisted with the ATVs if kodi was continuing to support upgrades. Truthfully all I want them for is kodi and Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

damian139 wrote: »
    I'd have persisted with the ATVs if kodi was continuing to support upgrades. Truthfully all I want them for is kodi and Netflix.

They reckon the hardware of the Apple Tv 2 isnt up to it and they have to write loads of code whenever Apple do a software update!

They have mentioned Kodi for the Apple TV 3 but I wouldnt hold my breath!

branners69 wrote: »
    They have mentioned Kodi for the Apple TV 3 but I wouldnt hold my breath!

Never happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Guys, can you download any Apps from the Play Store to the Amazon Fire TV?

Guys, can you download any Apps from the Play Store to the Amazon Fire TV?

Best job is the AFTV sideloader app. Download and install it, put in the AFTV's IP, then you can select any app installed on your phone or tablet to install on the AFTV. Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,440 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Ordered one last night after spotting it on hour top 5 deals of the day, I'll side load Kodi and a few other interesting apps think you might need an air mouse or remote keyboard for showbox

• Advertisement

Ordered one last night after spotting it on hour top 5 deals of the day, I'll side load Kodi and a few other interesting apps think you might need an air mouse or remote keyboard for showbox

Yatze for Kodi and WuKong is good for mouse control.
    You can control RTE Player with WuKong

Advertisement