Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How important is hydration on runs ?

Options
  • 25-11-2014 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭

I've just been thinking about the different attitude I have between cycling and running when it comes to hydration.

On a short cycle 20k-30k, I'll bring a bottle of water with me and drink it all, 30k+ I'll have two bottles and finish them. Over about 80k I'll stop for refills.

I've never once brought water on a run with me. Most of my runs are 5k-6k on the way home from work in the evenings, by the time I start running I won't have had so much as a sip of water in 5hrs.

My weekend runs tended to be around 10k, I'd have a drink 15mins before the run and another 15mins after it but nothing in between, not even in the car when I stop running.

Do people normally bring water with them on 10k training runs or would you only do that for longer distances?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Enduro

If you're not thirsty then you don't need to worry about it. Simple. Most people seem to over-hydrate. I go for 5 hour+ runs without needing to drink during the run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

It has been discussed numerous times in the Randon Running questions thread:

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?thread=2057220922&query=water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

You really wouldn't normally be drinking water on a 5/6km run. I'd hazard most here wouldn't drink over the course of a 10k training run, so what you're doing sounds normal enough.

To be honest, the approach/method you have is more striking on the cycling side. I'd maybe sip some water on a 20k-30k cycle (though cycles of that length would usually be on the turbo). On easy spins of 80km or so I'd drink a bottle of water perhaps. Usually less. Are you perhaps overcooking it on the bike? Wearing too many layers? 30k isn't far on a bike at all and two bottles really does seem excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

I used to obsess over bringing water with me on any runs longer than 1 hour. These days though, I never bring water with me - I know lots of people would bring water ( or stash some in a bush on the route) on a long run.

For me, once I drink plenty during the day, there's no need to bring a drink on any runs. ( longest run at the moment would be 17 miles)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

if you need water bring it with you....**** what other people think/do.
    you generally need some around the 4/5k mark unless you are a professional runner (which most people aren't)
    every 10k/half marathon i have done always have at least 2 /3 water stations.

• Advertisement

Volvoair wrote: »
    you generally need some around the 4/5k mark unless you are a professional runner (which most people aren't)

Nice one. Just handed in my notice at work as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Just because every 10k or half marathon has water every 3-5k, doesn't mean that you need to drink it. It's a personal thing if course, but there's really no need whatsoever for drinking water on a run of under an hour. On very hot summer days, I'd not bother with a drink unless the run was around 20 miles or 2.5 hours. But, other people like swigging back bottles of isotonic the whole way through a 5k. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I suppose I'll just start having a drink before leaving work so I'm not going hours without one before runs. I'll probably leave a bottle in the car too, so I can have a drink when I'm doing my stretches.

Regarding the cycling, I average 22kph. 30k takes me over an hour so I get through a bottle, whatever I don't drink while cycling I drink when I get home.

30k - 80k I'll always have 2, I don't think that's overdoing it really. I got bad cramps on a 120k cycle because I ran out of water so I tend to err on the side of caution now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I read somewhere before that if your wee is yellow before you go out you're hydrated enough to last you an hour? Am I allowed post about wee in here? :o

I bring a drink if im going over 5k..I never needed to bring one before...but the runs over the summer were so warm it got me into a bad habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Volvoair wrote: »
    every 10k/half marathon i have done always have at least 2 /3 water stations.
    Racing ≠ training. In a race you'll be pushing yourself to the limit physically, so there's a strong possibility you'll need/want some water. In training you rarely, if ever, push yourself that much.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

I read somewhere before that if your wee is yellow before you go out you're hydrated enough to last you an hour? Am I allowed post about wee in here?

:D It's the other way around. If it's yellow, you're dehydrated. Like the day after a good lash in the pub.

It should be clear with a hint of yellow.

As for hydrating before a run. I just keep myself hydrated all day. I take a bottle of water everywhere with me and sip it every so often. Even on rest days,been hydrated isreccomended. Water helps to clear out unwanted lactic acid and helps you recover faster. It helps every function in your body work better.

Edit: There's no need to take water on shorter runs if your hydrated properply before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

:D It's the other way around. If it's yellow, you're dehydrated. Like the day after a good lash in the pub.

It should be clear with a hint of yellow.

As for hydrating before a run. I just keep myself hydrated all day. I take a bottle of water everywhere with me and sip it every so often. Even on rest days,been hydrated isreccomended. Water helps to clear out unwanted lactic acid and helps you recover faster. It helps every function in your body work better.

Its a miracle im still alive !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RonanP77 wrote: »

30k - 80k I'll always have 2, I don't think that's overdoing it really. I got bad cramps on a 120k cycle because I ran out of water so I tend to err on the side of caution now.

How do you know that you got the cramps because you ran out of water? Could it have been down to distance/effort? Lack of salt is often quoted as a cause for cramps rarely dehydration however in my experience it normally is down to muscle fatigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I'm just going by what the lads at work were saying. They're in local cycling clubs so I figured they knew what they were on about. All I knew was that for the last 20km I was in a lot of pain. I couldn't stop pedaling even downhill because I knew if my legs stopped they wouldn't start again.

I'm just going by what the lads at work were saying. They're in local cycling clubs so I figured they knew what they were on about. All I knew was that for the last 20km I was in a lot of pain. I couldn't stop pedaling even downhill because I knew if my legs stopped they wouldn't start again.

That is a decent distance to be fair. And cramps can be brought on by a lot of things. But if drinking a lot works for you on the bike keep doing that!

If say I use about 500ml every 20-30km or so. Wouldn't cross my mind to bring any on a 10km outing.

But hydrate pretty well beforehand, could go through 8 pints the day before a long run, and a couple of pints 2 hours before starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

But cycling is different to running. For a start, a water bottle on a bike frame won't bother you. Having to carry one around on a run is a different thing entirely.

As long as you're reasonably hydrated before you go out, you really should not need anything for a run under an hour.

Cramping and pain can have all sorts of reasons, dehydration being one of the less likely ones. On the other hand, if you're feeling uncomfortable heading out for a run without water, then just bring a small one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

i generally don't bring water unless my run is 16 miles or over. I don't feel the need really. I just try to make sure that i'm hydrated during the week.
    Only had a couple of 25k cycles, certainly didnt feel the need for water here either.

Advertisement