Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.esta.ie - Stupid mistake - concern re data

Options
  • 25-11-2014 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

We're travelling to America and I was in a rush to get the ESTA done and in my haste I googled and scrolled down to www.esta.ie and quickly input all data - the form looked similar to the ESTA form I'd filled out a few years ago.

Anyway, very quickly after clicking the (Goddamn) pay now button did I realise that the whole site was a con.

So, I've handed over basically every personal detail barring my blood type, and have paid handsomely for it with my VISA card.

So far I've been on to the bank and they've put the transaction under investigation and have asked me to provide documentation to back up my claim (grand).

I've been on to the data protection office to see what can be done about my data - they can't help. I've tried calling the US Embassy to inform them of this site, but can not get past their automated system.

I am raging about this, and I'm usually so careful with everything.

How can the .ie site be registered in this fashion? I thought the 'rigorous' application process for .ie domains is supposed to help with this crap. And how do google allow it to rank 2nd? Bah

Can anyone help, or advise?

The whois info thrown up for the site is pretty useless IMO?

https://who.is/whois/www.esta.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jgorres

Hi,

Inform the registrar for ie.-domains about it. Maybe, that they can also provide more information about the real person behind it. In theory, their procedures are very strict. No idea, whether reality will confirm that.

At least it prevents others from this mistake if the website is put down.

Jörn.

Edit: Three seconds faster than the mod. The hosting company may also not be pleased to host such a domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The website seems to be linked to immigrationcenter.org. It also references a company called Esta Ltd but I can't locate them on the CRO or Solocheck website. Granted, they may not be an Irish company.

I'd contact the IE Domain Registry (www.iedr.ie) and complain about this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

how much did you pay?

Anyway that page redirects to https://www.immigrationcenter.org/

Owned by
    Domains By Proxy, LLC
    Registrant Street: DomainsByProxy.com
    Registrant Street: 14747 N Northsight Blvd Suite 111, PMB 309
    Registrant City:Scottsdale
    Registrant State/Province:Arizona
    Registrant Postal Code:85260
    Registrant Country:US
    Registrant Phone:+1.4806242599

And that site is in Greek...so I wouldnt be holding out much hope on a refund...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

dudara wrote: »
    I'd contact the IE Domain Registry (www.iedr.ie) and complain about this site.

Called them, spoke to <SNIP> who didn't really see the issue in the company having been issued a .ie address. They're registered in the UK, which seemed good enough?!

Anyway, he pointed me to hotline.ie so off to them I go.

Thanks for help thus far!
    how much did you pay?

€70 odd. But money I can cope with losing, I gave over literally all my personal data. Passport no, expirey dates, address, phone no, employer details etc.

Balls. Just balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, did you get the ESTA approval at the end of the day? It's only a true 'con' if they took your money and failed to deliver the promised service. There are lots of these websites operating all over the world, the official US websites for would-be travellers mentions that you should avoid them so they are aware of the practice. You can claim they are fraudsters, they might claim that they are no different from holiday companies who provide travel packages that you could just as easily put together yourself so you may find that what they are doing is marginally legal if slightly underhand.

You may also note that on their website that point out that ...

Legal Disclaimer: This website is operated by a private company which provides information about the Electronic System for Travel Authorization. We are NOT affiliated with the government of the United States. Any outgoing links on our website to third parties may offer services and products for a fee. You are encouraged to read and agree to the operating policies of all websites you visit.

It's your money they're after, I've never seen any issues with them misusing the data you provided to them. I understand why you feel sore about the experience but chasing them all around the world is going to get you nowhere.
    connundrum wrote: »
    And how do google allow it to rank 2nd? Bah

Because they pay Google to push them up the results screen. I think Google must have taken some criticism over the past few years because in the past the official CBP website used to be listed at about position 5 when you searched for 'ESTA', now it's number 2, below a website clearly identified as an ad and the website that you clicked on is number 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, there are lots of these websites operating all over the world, the official US websites for would-be travellers mentions that you should avoid them so they are aware of the practice. You can claim they are fraudsters, they might claim that they are no different from holiday companies who provide travel packages that you could just as easily put together yourself so you may find that what they are doing is marginally legal if slightly underhand.

You may also note that on their website that point out that ...

Legal Disclaimer: This website is operated by a private company which provides information about the Electronic System for Travel Authorization. We are NOT affiliated with the government of the United States. Any outgoing links on our website to third parties may offer services and products for a fee. You are encouraged to read and agree to the operating policies of all websites you visit.

It's your money they're after, I've never seen any issues with them misusing the data you provided to them. I understand why you feel sore about the experience but chasing them all around the world is going to get you nowhere.

Because they pay Google to push them up the results screen. I think Google must have taken some criticism over the past few years because in the past the official CBP website used to be listed at about position 5 when you searched for 'ESTA', now it's number 2, below a website clearly identified as an ad and the website that you clicked on is number 4.

In my search it has the official CBP site at 1 and this esta.ie site at 2, both below one advert?

I am sore, mainly regarding my own stupidity, and I did see the disclaimer, but obviously after the event :(

In terms of accusing them of fraud, even if they were claiming to provide a service at a highly inflated charge, I still haven't received a product/service. If I do receive ESTA clearance, I'd be surprised as I've already got it via the official CBP site.

Anyway, thanks again for help.

connundrum wrote: »
    In terms of accusing them of fraud, even if they were claiming to provide a service at a highly inflated charge, I still haven't received a product/service. If I do receive ESTA clearance, I'd be surprised as I've already got it via the official CBP site.

I think you might have thrown good money after bad. The official CBP website will accept a duplicate application because (e.g.) if you make a simple mistake like type in your date of birth incorrectly, you have to submit a new application. So just because you made an official application and didn't get a message about already being approved, it does not mean that that esta.ie website did not push through your application.

What you should have done is test to see if that website did do the application for you by going into the official CBP website to change the address you will be staying at on your first night in the US - that and your contact e-mail address are the only details you can change after approval is granted. I'm fairly certain that you would have discovered that you did have an active approval. None of those websites are outright fraudsters, they do actually push your application through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,784 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I think you might find you can claim back under the consumer rights directive, assuming they are within the EU. Essentially this gives consumers a lot of rights to 'back out' in the first 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think you might find you can claim back under the consumer rights directive, assuming they are within the EU. Essentially this gives consumers a lot of rights to 'back out' in the first 14 days.

I'm not 100% certain but I don't think this applies to services rendered. It's more in the case of goods which require inspection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,784 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Nope, applies in general terms to both services and products. There are provisions in the Directive in relation to both.

Directive is at http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:304:0064:0088:en:PDF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Nope, applies in general terms to both services and products. There are provisions in the Directive in relation to both.

Directive is at http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:304:0064:0088:en:PDF

there are exceptions. One of these applies to services. If you ask a supplier to perform a service then you cannot cancel once they have begun to perform the service. And presumably the OP didnt ask esta.ie to wait 7 days before processing their application.

from here http://www.efc.ie/images/uploads/The_Distance_Selling_Regulations_in_practice.pdf
    For services if performance has begun with the consumer's agreement before the cooling off period ends

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Their T&Cs claim the site is operated by 2 companies both of which are officially registered companies in their respective jurisdictions:
    "Immigration Support Ltd" registered in the Isle of Man (which is not in the EU or EEA)
    and
    "Online Processing Solutions (CY) Ltd" registered in Cyprus which is a EU member.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

My daughter needed a UK social welfare number last summer and we discovered loads of sites offering a service on payment - this is one of the reasons why the UK Job centre insists that you attend for a personal interview before they grant a number

So basically ESTA.ie are not the only ones charging something for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 9 seammc

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately I am a new victim of this <SNIP>. Like the person in the original post I was in a rush to book the esta visa and stupidly clicked onto the same esta website thinking it was the correct one.
    Furious that I gave all my details to some unknown with no visa at the end. How can this be allowed that some site can be allowed <SNIP> people into thinking they are paying for a visa? Instead people are being <SNIP> out of 70.63 euro by a site mimicking the actual correct one? Im not the first victim and unfortunately I think I wont be the last due to the type of <SNIP> this is. In this age can this <SNIP> be permitted due to some lame disclaimer in the small print at the bottom of the screen? Maybe awareness might help some other poor misfortunates avoid getting <SNIP> like I did out of their hard earned money.
    Now, rant over. Thanks for listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SpiceWeasel

seammc wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Unfortunately I am a new victim of this <SNIP>. Like the person in the original post I was in a rush to book the esta visa and stupidly clicked onto the same esta website thinking it was the correct one.
    Furious that I gave all my details to some unknown with no visa at the end. How can this be allowed that some site can be allowed <SNIP> people into thinking they are paying for a visa? Instead people are being <SNIP> out of 70.63 euro by a site mimicking the actual correct one? Im not the first victim and unfortunately I think I wont be the last due to the type of <SNIP> this is. In this age can this <SNIP> be permitted due to some lame disclaimer in the small print at the bottom of the screen? Maybe awareness might help some other poor misfortunates avoid getting <SNIP> like I did out of their hard earned money.
    Now, rant over. Thanks for listening.

I did the same thing at the weekend and it was for 85$, i sent them an email and they refunded me the money, i was seriously relieved. If you want to get your money back then just email them. They are not linked to the US Government website so you may not even have a valid application.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

seammc wrote: »
    How can this be allowed that some site can be allowed <SNIP> people into thinking they are paying for a visa?

Try contacting the US govt via their ESTA website, and just let them know.

It's not uncommon for there to be websites and "middlemen" that help apply for a visa, even where it's easier to do it directly yourself.

The esta.ie website refund policy -

Refund Policy

We offer a 30-day "no questions asked" refund policy from the date of purchase. The refund request must be submitted in writing by emailing us at info@immigrationcenter.org. Please include the following details with your refund request:

- Last 4 digits number of the credit card used

- Name as written in the billing information

- The order number as shown in your confirmation email

- Reason for refund request

As all of our transactions are in the currency of US dollar, your refund will be issued in US dollars and converted to your local currency by your bank or credit card institution. For this reason, the amount you are refunded may be higher or lower than the purchase price on our website. We are not able to issue any differences in the amount refunded due to foreign currency fluctuations.

Refunds are normally issued the same day or within a maximum of 2 business days. You should not contact your credit card company or bank to obtain a refund, as this will only delay our refund process.

We do not issue refunds in cash, check or money order. We can only issue a refund to the credit card used in the purchase transaction.
    If you have any questions with regards to your order, please contact our Billing Department at: info@immigrationcenter.org for further assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭michael jay

this company is legit but charge over the odds to process your esta.
    if u get in touch quick enough they will refund you.

their 89 euro charge only appears as you finish filing out everything so its hard to know what's going on.

Also only the info email adress actually works and their is no contact number visible

Their disclamer on the home page is not too visible as there are multiple apply nows floating around!
    Hope this info helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

I did the same thing and emailed them immediately, they never even took the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Oh ffs I've been done the same way :( So angry with myself. Did this whilst trying to sort out travel insurance and car insurance at the same time.

Called BOI to try and block it but the money has already been taken. No confirmation emails. Have emailed them demanding a refund.

If they don't refund do they actually process the goddamn visas?

Thanks
    Quad_red

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

They refund. You'll be grand, warn anyone else you might know that'll be doing it though.

Yeah, just got an email saying they'd processed a full refund.

I feel like such a dick :/

Last time I guffaw at some granny getting tricked by a Nigerian prince.

Any chance the mods would sticky this or something like it in the travel/USA forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Ruginator

Bump just to make people aware. Complete <SNIP> effort

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sanpedro15

Ah, so ive just fell for this hook, line and sinker!!

I bought the esta in a hurry and didnt read through the site properly.

They sent me a confirmation email with my application approval number.

i sent an email to them straight away asking them to cancel the transaction.

they emailed me back saying it was cancelled, but when i go on the official US gov website it says my application has been approved still?

Nothing has gone in or out of my account??? (it will usuaul take 24 hours to appear i suppose)

Does anyone know if i can buy a second esta to be safe?
    Or, can it actually be cancelled once its offically approved?

Please help!!

They can't cancel it, all you can do is amend some of the data like the place you intend staying on your first night and your flight no. but there is no option to cancel the ESTA once it's approved.

You can quickly check that it's still there by going in and attempting to change the flight data. The approval lasts two years or when your passport expires, whichever occurs first. One ESTA approval can cover multiple trips, that's why you're allowed to change that data because it can vary from one trip to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Sounds like a good way to get ESTA for free, as long as you are not paranoid about your details being in the hands of these chancers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yup very close to getting the Mother stung with this one a few weeks back. The site looked legit, it was only the price that raised an alarm with me, there's no way it went from ~€10 to ~€90 in the couple of years since last time she used it, had half of the form filled before I went for a further google around. It probably doesn't help that official site hasn't got a great URL - I actually can't remember it only a few weeks later

Advertisement