Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Class areas and the annual race to get the tacky Christmas lights up first.

Options
  • 25-11-2014 10:47am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

Something I've noticed in recent years is an apparent race between the occupants of a number of houses in a council estate near me to don their homes with the most gaudy over the top Christmas lights, and the determination by some of the residents to get theirs up before the neighbours.

Two houses in particular have had theirs up for almost a fortnight now.

And each year they seem to get more and more outlandish and ostentatious with larger then scale figures of Santa Claus lit up at the chimney to be seen for miles around and further lights now festooned around the garden and every available space on the walls of the house.

I don't have a problem with anyone tarting up their houses for the festive season. It has long since been accepted as the most tasteless time of the year, but I'd prefer if they were confined to the festive season rather than two months of the year.

Of course I acknowledge that there are middle class people who turn their residences into garish winter wonderlands every year too. I don't know where they get the time. But the phenonmen of displaying the most jaunty glittery tat annually, and the quest to get it up first every year is overwhelmingly a feature of working class council estates urban areas.

Its not as if there are prizes for doing so like there are for the Tidy Towns competition during the Summer, (although that doesn't seem to be an insentive in many of these estates anyway.)

The first electricity of the new year for families with such displays must be eye watering, but that's none of my business. I do wonder though it this race to get the lights up earlier every year adds increased pressure to fire crews around the country as the potential for fire risk must be a lot higher with so many lights and electrical sockets in use.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Lets get to the real issue, you have a problem with people that earn less than you. Why is that?

You wonder where Middle class get the time?
    But the working class have loads of time to put up the lights???

Look in the mirror and see can you find out what your real problem is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Thinly veiled dole bashing thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Lapin wrote: »
    Something I've noticed in recent years is an apparent race between the occupants of a number of houses in a council estate near me to don their homes with the most gaudy over the top Christmas lights, and the determination by some of the residents to get theirs up before the neighbours.

Two houses in particular have had theirs up for almost a fortnight now.

And each year they seem to get more and more outlandish and ostentatious with larger then scale figures of Santa Claus lit up at the chimney to be seen for miles around and further lights now festooned around the garden and every available space on the walls of the house.

I don't have a problem with anyone tarting up their houses for the festive season. It has long since been accepted as the most tasteless time of the year, but I'd prefer if they were confined to the festive season rather than two months of the year.

Of course I acknowledge that there are middle class people who turn their residences into garish winter wonderlands every year too. I don't know where they get the time. But the phenonmen of displaying the most jaunty glittery tat annually, and the quest to get it up first every year is overwhelmingly a feature of working class council estates urban areas.

Its not as if there are prizes for doing so like there are for the Tidy Towns competition during the Summer, (although that doesn't seem to be an insentive in many of these estates anyway.)

The first electricity of the new year for families with such displays must be eye watering, but that's none of my business. I do wonder though it this race to get the lights up earlier every year adds increased pressure to fire crews around the country as the potential for fire risk must be a lot higher with so many lights and electrical sockets in use.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel there for content to fill your morning rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Maybe they have children who live the lights? Maybe they love Christmas.

Either way it is none of your business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I agree with your points but it's not only working class areas that this happens in.

There's a house in Killiney that I'm sure you can see from the Moon. You have to wear sunglasses at night time just to have a look at it.

It started off years ago as a nice enough, now it's just mental and tacky.

Some motherfcukers just like winding people up too, it did cross my mind to plug in 500 sets of big flashy things and just fcuk them on top of the house and in the garden in no particular order, just to annoy my neighbour who waves at me everyday.

That will show the cnut to be nice to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

FAIL

The biggest display I know is in Artane, Dublin 5. I used to rent up the road from it. It gets on TV3 every year. Kids come from all over to visit and the money collected goes to charity

The second biggest display I know is in Ballyfermot. Over a decade ago the family's two children were killed outside the house when a car mounted the footpath. Again kids come from miles around and the money collected goes to charity

Whiff of snobbery about your post OP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Fudge You wrote: »
    Lets get to the real issue, you have a problem with people that earn less than you. Why is that?

Look in the mirror and see can you find out what your real problem is!

Anyone on less that me is in serious shít.

I don't have issues. I'm asking a fair and honest question based on my own observations.

No need to be so precious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Oh law de daw. I don't know where they find the time to do things but I find loads of time to bitch on the internet.

Either way it is none of your business.

Jesus Christ, are people not allowed to ask questions anymore?

Anyway, its everyone's business when these lights are so public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

No. No more questions are ever to be asked again.

• Advertisement

Maybe they have children who love the lights? Maybe they love Christmas.

If you read my post you'd see that I have no problem with the lights at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Anyone on less that me is in serious shít.

I don't have issues. I'm asking a fair and honest question based on my own observations.

No questions in the OP.

Only statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Maybe you should take your own advice OP. Like it or not, people put up lights this time of year and many people put them up a bit early. you don't have to like it, but nobodies asking you to. best thing to do if you're so offended would just not go around that particular estate until the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I agree with your points but it's not only working class areas that this happens in.

There's a house in Killiney that I'm sure you can see from the Moon. You have to wear sunglasses at night time just to have a look at it.

Some motherfcukers just like winding people up too, it did cross my mind to plug in 500 sets of big flashy things and just fcuk them on top of the house and in the garden in no particular order, just to annoy my neighbour who waves at me everyday.

Totally Brilliant Senor Fancy Pant. Do it, please - 500 sets - all over the gaff It will be truly festive to see the look on the friendly cnuts face. Joy to the World - f*ck that!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

As far as I've observed "working class" households tend to have lots of youngsters, i.e. kids and grandkids, around the place and coming to visit at Christmas who love the slightly over-the-top lights and general razzmatazz of the thing. Try to overcome your gag reflex and live and let live for a few weeks. I personally am looking to outdo the lot of them this year with an old WWII searchlight and a Bofors autocannon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭tigger123

How dare the working class have light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Go over to the estate and share your concerns with them.

Ah no, don't piss your skinny jeans. I was only joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Don't worry OP.. when the ESB bill arrives in January that'll learn em! Who do they think they are putting up lights anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

If you read my post you'd see that I have no problem with the lights at Christmas.

Just working class people :confused:?

Valetta wrote: »
    No questions in the OP.

Only statements.

The tone of the post is inquisitive
    Maybe you should take your own advice OP. Like it or not, people put up lights this time of year and many people put them up a bit early. you don't have to like it, but nobodies asking you to. best thing to do if you're so offended would just not go around that particular estate until the new year.

Don't come with that shít now. I never said anything about being offended. I think that particular emotion lies with most of the people who replied to my opening post.
    jimgoose wrote: »
    As far as I've observed "working class" households tend to have lots of youngsters, i.e. kids and grandkids, around the place and coming to visit at Christmas who love the slightly over-the-top lights and general razzmatazz of the thing. Try to overcome your gag reflex and live and let live for a few weeks. I personally am looking to outdo the lot of them this year with an old WWII searchlight and a Bofors autocannon. :D

Christmas - in the middle of November ?

• Advertisement

Colibri wrote: »
    Just working class people :confused:?

Oh Jesus give me patience.

I have no problem with lights at Christmas for anyone.

I just don't understand people's compulsion to drag Christmas closer and closer to October every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I think it's really unfair to those of us who suffer from epilepsy. People have no consideration these days. I have to wear sunglasses when I'm out for a walk during the festive season. It's not right!!!

Think before you decide to light up your house this Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭tigger123

The tone of the post is inquisitive

Don't come with that shít now. I never said anything about being offended. I think that particular emotion lies with most of the people who replied to my opening post.

Christmas - in the middle of November ?

The tone of the post is a lot of things. Inquisitive doesn't spring to mind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

No. No more questions are ever to be asked again.

What? Not even one? Wait, that's two.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I just don't understand people's compulsion to drag Christmas closer and closer to October every year.

Think you can blame retail for that.. They've been pushing Christmas since late September

anncoates wrote: »
    Go over to the estate and share your concerns with them.

I will. When they wake up.

<< Only Messin FFS, That last sentence was a joke>>

In the meantime, lets just close down Boards and stop anyone asking anything here or opening a discussion on any topic.

Because obviously, if you can find something out somethere else, there is no need to talk about it here. Right?

...Christmas - in the middle of November ?

Sure, why not? You can blame the business world for that - most of the pubs/restaurants as well as the city-centre around here have the full Christmas regalia up a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Why mention "working class" in the title of the post then?

...I just don't understand people's compulsion to drag Christmas closer and closer to October every year.

Given the state of many "working class" households this weather, largely due to the antics of their socio-economic "betters", it is just possible that they're inclined to do that for the same reason the mid-Winter festival was devised in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I will.

In the meantime, lets just close down Boards and stop anyone asking anything here or opening a discussion on any topic.

Because obviously, if you can find something out somethere else, there is no need to talk about it here. Right?

Do you not think the way you phrased op was only going to lead to this kind of discussion? I don't think most posters would with have a problem with a post saying how neighbours rush to put up lights or get earlier and earlier.

Your post isn't that though, you frame it a class issue, which it obviously isn't.

Advertisement