Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male university students can't dress for sh1t.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I wear tracksuits all the time mainly because it's nice easy wearing jeans without them getting soaked and once they dry off, it's basically cardboard really whereas tracksuits are just easy to maintain and dry well. I do wear jeans on the odd occasion but the majority of the time, I wear tracksuits.

Don't go around thinking people are lazy to dress up nicely. How do you know what their story is. They could be struggling with money and probably don't have enough to buy a nice set of clothes.

Think it's time for you to stop being judgmental...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 Steppin Out

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Compared to tracksuit pants they are extremely uncomfortable. :P
    I fail to understand what you mean by that!
    I fail to see the comparison between someone who fails assessment during the term being able to pass the final and someone who wears casual clothing in a casual environment being able to dress in formal clothes in a formal environment.
    So if you hit the lotto, you'd wearing tracksuit pants for the rest of your life? Do you see the point I'm trying to make?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

So if you hit the lotto, you'd wearing tracksuit pants for the rest of your life? Do you see the point I'm trying to make?

If I won the lotto I'd still probably need/want a job, so I'd presumably wear formal attire to the interview and/or to work every day. I'd also probably wear formal/smart casual clothes in the situations which they are more appropriate for.

I see the point you're trying to make, but it's complete bollox with no semblance of logic to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I'll make it simple for you. Comfort: tracksuit bottoms> jeans.

You are aware that the vast majority of college goers are capable of putting on jeans when the occasion calls?
    Ohh we all see the point you're trying to make, it doesn't make that point any less stupid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 Steppin Out

neil_ wrote: »
    Are you mad because the girl you like pays more attention to that handsome lad from Kerry who rolls his socks up over the bottom of his tracksuit pants?
    Do people actually get away with that?
    You seem awfully worked up about some guy passing comment on your dress. I'd say calling him a twat in your OP is considerably worse than what he said to you, which may not even have been meant maliciously.
    You've got me all wrong. I never thought it was meant maliciously! and I have not given the impression that I've been worked up over it.
    What do you want to happen? Do you want them to be publicly shamed? Locked in the stocks with vegetables pelted at them?
    That's not funny, you know what I meant.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Err, students are up their own holes, shock!!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

sup_dude wrote: »

Suave motherf*cker! :D

Suave motherf*cker! :D

Oh I dunno, it would be my opinion he's too lazy to dress up a bit and put a bit of effort into his appearance... I'd nearly go so far as to say that it's obvious by his dress sense that he'll never get a job...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

You would be wrong

Here's the thing

College/University students are scruffy, They are away from Mammy for the first time and this probably their first chance to dress how they like. It's also their last chance because once college/Uni is over it's suits/ties and rat race dress. Don't be so judgmental those scruffs today will probably be your boss tomorrow.

Good luck with that, no college tuition here, but dress well (as i do, and always have) and be good at what you do and i might give you a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

Do people actually get away with that?

You've got me all wrong. I never thought it was meant maliciously! and I have not given the impression that I've been worked up over it.
    That's not funny, you know what I meant.

I don't know what you meant, hence the question.. So I'll ask again, when you say "get away with it" what do you mean? What should happen to them? Why do you let them "get away with it"?

I would say just about everything you've posted gives the impression of being worked up, but maybe you're just bored and looking for attention on the internet, who knows :confused:

maybe you're just bored and looking for attention on the internet, who knows :confused:

*ding ding ding*

We have a winner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

This is something I've become more aware of recently. They get away with it too. The other day I was wearing a pair of goods jeans and a cotton jumper. Some twat said to me "gee, look at you all dressed up, are you going out?" I looked around, and most of the fellas were wearing jerseys and pyjama pants. The girls dress quite good. You'd think taking an interest in one's own appearance would come naturally, but I'd nearly feel a bit odd dressing well in certain circles.

It's hilarious then when you see a fellas with his girlfriend, with her dressed so well with the jeans pulled up high, and then him sauntering along with a pair of fat man pants often practically falling off the waist. Are university students this poor, because I'd assume male students dressed better 20 years ago. Or maybe it's the dumbing down of these new generations.

I agree. I can confirm it was the same ten years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The yoga pants on the women look well and I bet are comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Anyone not wearing the finest italian suits spun from the finest silks and cotton are just not making the effort. Anything that takes less than at least 1 hour in the morning is just phoning it in and they should just drop out now. What are they going to do in the future when they are dining with the king or queen of denmark?

/s

P.s as a mature student who has many years in the workplace, professional and non, I wear tracksuits as much as I can while in college. Enjoy it while you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

I'm disappointed I missed this thread, sounded like a belter.. :P
    Loved how fast it turned sour..
    Honestly reading through it at first, don't think OP meant to cause any real offense to anyone in particular, except the entire population of male students, but it was pretty short sighted to think everyone (anyone) would agree..
    You think of college you think of cheap food, beer and rushing to lectures.
    The thought of it may repulse some of you but I oft, towards the end of the week, had my clothes in a big pile and picked my favourites from it and left.
    Going into college, didn't really care what I wore. Wasn't going there to impress. Sure, I'd go in clean, often with a spray of cologne on as well, but I'm not going to college to dazzle any one. I'm going there to study and attend lectures.
    I admire your will none the less to look smart, but I won't be compelled to follow suit. I don't have a ridiculous amount of clothes anyway so unless I'm to dip into living funds, my wardrobe won't improve either. I've a couple of jumpers and shirts that I reserve for nights out.

HOWEVER!
    I do expect the entire student body to own socks with the days of the week on them and expect everyone to wear said socks on their corresponding day. Not one to label but anyone who doesn't is clearly a tramp with no dress sense, self worth and may well lack a few things that makes them a complete human.

Slightly exaggerated version of initial case, but you get the picture. :cool:

Advertisement