Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any point in buying POL hens at this time of year?

Options
  • 22-11-2014 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭

My very elderly, retired pure breed Rhode Island Red hens are dying off.
    I had them seperated from my young hybrids because the Rhode Islands, being x3 times bigger were bullying the little hens.
    Another old girl died this a.m so I now have a freed up coop and run. (The last pure breed can go in with the hybrids - shes very docile)

I normally buy my hybrids from a supplier that visits our local marts.
    Im wondering though, if there is any point in buying some point of lay hybrids (if he even has any) at this time of year?? Will POL hybrids come in to lay now (Ive never bought at this time of year) or should I just wait until the spring?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭abutler101

It depends really on a few factors. Have the birds you have bought previously been in good condition when you bought them (good weight, good feather quality, clean bill of health)? Are you supplementing light? POL is a fairly loose term, will they be 16/17 weeks old when you buy them or will they be 24/25 weeks old? If you get them try and buy ones that are older because it is unlikely they would start laying in the dead of winter. I would supplement protein to give them a boost when coming into lay (make it easier for them) and maybe put some dummy eggs in the nest boxes so that they might get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Good points - the supplier I usually buy my hens from has excellent quality hybrids. All pretty close to laying - usually start to lay 2-3 weeks after I get them. He is very reliable, the hens are always very healthy etc, so Im not at all concerned about that.

I dont supplement light - dont have the capability (standard little coops, not sheds) and to be honest, Im happy to let my hens 'rest' over winter...
    I usually boost their protein for a couple of weeks when coming in to lay or after moulting etc. Really I suppose the question is, if they are close to laying maturity, new free range home, good diet, but the stress of all that too, would your average well bred/good condition little hybrid start to lay in December, or will they wait til spring - in which case I might not buy them until then, and just be a bit low on eggs for a few months :( (cant face shop bought eggs)

Advertisement