Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do white people have a future in South Africa

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Seriously though, The loss of privilege must be hard for the white community to accept (I remember a documentary about white south Africans wanting their own state, a new Transvaal kinda deal and they were very racist people) but I'm sure they are a minority.

If I was living in South Africa as a white person that idea would appeal to me to be honest.As an outsider looking in, integration does not seem to working and crime rates out of control.I think I would want to live in a area with people of the same background and culture. South Africa seems to be about 3 or 4 different countries living under the 1 flag. I don't think they can ever live together side by side in harmony..

I have watched a few documentaries like that too. You can see the sense of freedom from crime and ability to express their Afrikaans culture in those places. You can tell alright though, there is a element of racism.

Orania

Kleinfontein

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

I lived in Cape Town for six years & loved every minute of it, it's a stunningly beautiful country and the vast majority of the people are wonderful. It has a lot of problems without doubt, and the affirmative action has not been a success. In all honesty it has managed to upset all walks of life, the black population feel that it hasn’t gone far enough, the white population feel that there’s been 20 years of democracy why are kids born in democratic South Africa still being punished for the crimes of the past, while the coloured population feel that they have moved from #2 in the pecking order to #3
    In terms of the future of white people in SA goes, you have to remember that the western cape is very different demographically than the rest of SA;
    WC SA
    • Black African 32.8% 79.2%
    • Coloured 48.8% 8.9%
    • White 17.3% 8.9%
    • Indian or Asian 1.0% 2.5%

I think the inroads that the DA are making outside of the western cape is indicative of a new middle class who are looking beyond the historical “Black = ANC” there are theories that the ANC encourages poor blacks to move to the Western Cape in order to increase their vote in the province, but there is little actual evidence of that. In the elections earlier this year DA won 59% in the cape as compared to the ANC 32%
    There is room for optimism; however I will add the caveat that I moved back because my wife (who is a white South African) couldn’t get work and I knew that if my well paid job was to go, we would be moving back in a hurry, so we decided to make the move while the decision was in our own hands.

Is there any standout white people who hold power of high position in SA politics, police force, defense forces etc who have substantial influence.

I would be interested to know in todays society if white politicians in South Africa would receive votes from the black community?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Is there any standout white people who hold power of high position in SA politics, police force, defense forces etc who have substantial influence.

I would be interested to know in todays society if white politicians in South Africa would receive votes from the black community?

There are white ministers in the ANC cabinet. Western Cape premier Helen Zille is an example of a prominent white politician.

South African politics functions largely on a party-list system though. Each party selects a list of candidates, and the voters choose a party, rather than an individual candidate. So it's hard to quantify how much of an element race is in voting.

In other African countries, such as Zimbabwe, white MPs have been elected in constituencies which were 99%+ black (not that Zimbabwe has fair elections). Right now Zambia has an acting President who is white, Guy Scott. No reason why people in Africa won't pick the person who they feel will pursue policies that meet their interests, just like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Not sure on Zim or Zambia but in SA you vote for the party not the person & the party then nominates the actual MP's so the theory is that people are not voting for white people or black people but they are voting for a political party.
    Tradionally the DA lead by Helen Zille were the more liberal white party, but they have made large gains in non white votes, the Cape Town mayor is a coloured lady and if you look at election stats they have gained votes accross the board. So in answer to the quesiton from manutd99 I think it's clear that the emerging black & coloured middle classes are starting to vote for policies rather than colour.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9389832/beyond-the-rainbow/

This article doesn't paint a great picture for the future. Glass half full or half empty?

jank wrote: »
    http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9389832/beyond-the-rainbow/

This article doesn't paint a great picture for the future. Glass half full or half empty?

Certainly paints an ugly picture. Seems like the journalist is on a rant.

Is there a chance this Malema lad could one day become president. Seems like a very scary guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

MANUTD99 wrote: »

Is there a chance this Malema lad could one day become president. Seems like a very scary guy.

Very doubtful without the backing of the ANC, who loathe him.

Advertisement