Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poem by an Irish Expat In Australia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

He's right though, this country is a corrupt backwards kip ran by very stupid old people, and with terrible weather and no job prospects.
    Most of the people who stay are either profiting from it or stuck with kids and trapped.

Ireland is the most ageist country in the Western world against Young people.

I'm a white, property-owning professional male with a sensible haircut aged between 35 and 50. Everybody listens to what I say, no matter how fcukan stoopid. Shine on Ireland, ya crazy diamond! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

jimgoose wrote: »
    I'm a white, property-owning professional male with a sensible haircut aged between 35 and 50. Everybody listens to what I say, no matter how fcukan stoopid. Shine on Ireland, ya crazy diamond! :)

I'd say you sometimes show your crazy side by wearing a novelty tie to work.

Have you heard of the Ex-Pat Down Under
    Who claims his motherlands gone asunder
    Ignorant to the fact that we once again thrive
    He claims we remain in 1845

How easy it is to blame the land of your birth
    When you should have worked harder on the ‘ould Leaving Cert
    Painting all of us in a cloak of gloom
    We are not shut, stuck in a rut nor crushed by the boom

What’s hurting Paddy is really his pride
    For thinking the grass was greener on the other side
    So to justify going over to earn a dime
    He writes poems glorifying sweating down in a mine

And slates the greenest country on this little Earth
    And bigs up a land of dust, spiders and dirt
    But his old classmates are glad he's out there because
    All the thíck cúnts are sent out to Oz

Oh well-hoofed, Chief! :):):)

I'd say you sometimes show your crazy side by wearing a novelty tie to work.

You have no idea. I have a couple of brown leather waistcoats and a motorbike! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

This post has been deleted.

Same, I get the "did you move for better job/unemployment/more money/foreign wife."

They seem slightly annoyed or something when I tell them I moved just to see what it was like.

When they say "do you not miss home" I tell them my home is where I am living now, not where I am visiting today.

Don't get me wrong, Ireland is a beautiful country, living in Holland for 7 years sometimes I do miss the hills and randomly sized fields over the flat Dutch landscape with perfectly arranged square fields.

Living in Ireland is nice since everything is so relaxed, no formal registration with the city hall, you don't have to do tax returns, parking rules aren't strictly enforced, but having everything so relaxed also has its problems.

And it's nice to be able to drive to so many different countries with different cultures and languages by car without having to take a ferry :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Thats a good poem and Im not into poetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Don Kedick

There once was a lad in Australia,
    To be honest he was quite a failya,
    He drank a bottle of octavia,
    And he wouldn't give a wave to ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Henry Sidney

Don Kedick wrote: »
    There once was a lad in Australia,
    To be honest he was quite a failya,
    He drank a bottle of octavia,
    And he wouldn't give a wave to ya.

Holy fûck, that's even worse than the one in the OP....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

There was a young man from Kildare
    Who was fucking a girl on the stair.
    The bannister broke,
    So he doubled his stroke,
    And finished her off in mid-air.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

As with everything good on the net - the true joy is in the comments.

A Gavin Kelly moans: "My whole teenage years Revolved around drink."

You were not responsible for that at all Gavin. Not responsible at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Where ever you go, there you are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Jesus Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Sad notes from home, by Donkey Oaty, 2014

I wept at the counter of the stately deli in the Wicklow hills
    Where in desperate attempts to woo the godforsaken traveller
    There was a reduction in the cost of a toasted ham and cheese panini
    And a feeling that we were all in this together
    The vendor and me, in the bleakness and the gloom
    On this once-great island of morbid mawkish doom.

I've also written another account of that event, which can be sung to a well-known Rolf Harris tune:

Buying a sandwich in Powerscourt
    Now the prices are down
    Buying a sandwich in Powerscourt
    Now the prices are down.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

That poem makes me very sad
    I suppose that makes it very bad
    But don't worry I won't get mad
    Instead, I'll think "could be true by gad!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

AnLonDubh wrote: »
    That poem makes me very sad
    I suppose that makes it very bad
    But don't worry I won't get mad
    Instead, I'll think "could be true by gad!"

Sent from my Apple I-pad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I moved to Switzerland
    Where running around is banned
    Prostitution is legal
    I feel almost regal

Will I go back to Ireland?
    Not so long as I am grand
    Here in Switzerland
    Where talking is also banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Dear sashafierce
    I see you have a face
    This poem makes no sense
    I blame the stingy sweat and flies
    And the governments lies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

keith16 wrote: »
    I moved to Switzerland
    Where running around is banned
    Prostitution is legal
    I feel almost regal

Will I go back to Ireland?
    Not so long as I am grand
    Here in Switzerland
    Where talking is also banned

I moved to Arizona, so something about carrying a concealed weapon being legal, Phoenix, Bald Eagles...most residents are illegal. Prison is a tent, Freedom is a fence and the Latinas are a ten and so on....You get the idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Hes right about the politics, corruption and greed. Once all that is dealt with we will be sorted. We are a fantastic country and when we get our affairs in order we will be a great country.

Where are the signs that it's being dealt with? As an expat the Irish political landscape is one of the main reasons I wouldn't be rushing back. We are an inherently conservative nation served by two main parties whose policies could be split by a cigarette paper.

There is a lot of talent in the country but they aren't working in the public sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

It is strongly nationalist, that's for sure.

ironically the majority are blow ins, poor abbos wha!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

He's right though, this country is a corrupt backwards kip ran by very stupid old people, and with terrible weather and no job prospects.
    Most of the people who stay are either profiting from it or stuck with kids and trapped.

Ireland is the most ageist country in the Western world against Young people.
    WTF? Ireland is almost entirely kids and young people. Have you ever been to a Central European country? It's like Children of Men.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Macavity. wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.
    My favourite bit about that video is the Oirish music in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

I'd say some of what he wrote is applicable to parts of Ireland, but not Dublin - which is the only place in Ireland he mentions.
    mad muffin wrote: »
    You guys are so fücking racist it's unreal.
    mad muffin wrote: »
    I love how the thread started with a poem by a drongo ex paddy and has now become an Aussie bashing thread.

Typical Oirish shíte :rolleyes:
    I understand your objection to the silliness of people going on about how sh-t Aussies are and how racist it is (irony much?) but then again, you just end up doing the same yourself with lines like the above!
    Irish people overall are hardly "so racist it's unreal", in fairness.

But I'm sure Australia is a great place for lots of people - it's not a lifestyle for everyone (even though I like the sun, I wouldn't be able for that level of heat either, and as someone else said, I like a bit of variation in the seasons - apart from rain) but lots of Irish people love it, and good luck to them. Not sure what the point is in people peeing on their parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Still prefer this poem:

"I dig,
    he digs,
    she digs,
    they dig,
    it dug,
    We all dug.

It's not very pretty but it's deep."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

There's nothing more annoying to see
    Than ex pats on facebook screaming daily
    'Sun is shining, having a beer'
    'This is the life, wish ye were here'

When it's clear to everyone reading back home
    That you're stuck in your bedroom drinking alone
    You're only a twat with a big freckly head
    In your county jersey with your skin lobster red

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I'd say some of what he wrote is applicable to parts of Ireland, but not Dublin - which is the only place in Ireland he mentions.

I understand your objection to the silliness of people going on about how sh-t Aussies are and how racist it is (irony much?) but then again, you just end up doing the same yourself with lines like the above!
    Irish people overall are hardly "so racist it's unreal", in fairness.

But I'm sure Australia is a great place for lots of people - it's not a lifestyle for everyone (even though I like the sun, I wouldn't be able for that level of heat either, and as someone else said, I like a bit of variation in the seasons - apart from rain) but lots of Irish people love it, and good luck to them. Not sure what the point is in people peeing on their parade.

Oh but they are. Extremely so.

I've seen it first hand. Don't take a taxi with a black driver. What are all these Africans doing in our town all of a sudden.

A place I used to work at the hight of the building boom had loads of Polish working there. Lots of Irish guys were unhappy about that.

I've even been told at wedding and such. When the Irish are sufficiently loaded. Aussie go home. Or Aussie blow in.

I tell them frequently that I would be gone back in the morning if I could sell my house. We never payed over the odds but it's still won't even make what we still owe on the mortgage. If my wife would let me I would drop the house keys through the banks letter box.

How many travellers are represented in government or even local government? Asians? Africans? Eastern Europeans?

How many ethnic groups are represented in the media?

I can tell you one thing though. Australia has had about as much as they can take of the Irish. Coming over loud and brash and full of piss. Aussies have enough of their own. They don't want or need to import them.

Lots of places don't want to hire Irish any more because they are unreliable. Coming over thinking the country owes them something. Not willing to put in a hard days work, always complaining about the heat. WTF did they expect? Cool breezes every day? Of course this is only a recent phenomenon. Heaps of Irish came over, over the decades and integrated, assimilated into Australian society.

It's this Celtic Tiger breed that are really giving the Irish a bad name in Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

English Cadburys is better than Irish Cadburys.

Not a chance.

Advertisement