Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to bulk?

Options
  • 20-11-2014 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

I'm sure this topic has come up over and over again on here but i'm looking for some advice.
    Around this time last year I decided to get fitter, I was 16 stone 11 when I started and i'm 12 stone 13 now. I'm in skinny fat mode now, slight bit of belly fat left but nothing significant.

I'm 6'3" and the body fat measurement I got said I was just over 18%.
    I've been running 3 days a week, generally two 5k runs and one 10k for the last year and doing Ice Cream Fitness for the last month or so. I think my diet is decent enough now and i'm trying to burn off more body fat before I try to bulk up a bit.

I'm wondering at what percentage body fat I should start bulking up as after almost conquering the belly I really don't wanna go too soon and start adding inches to it. I've read a lot of contradictory articles online about when to bulk so I'm a little confused now as to what to do.

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

RumHam wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm sure this topic has come up over and over again on here but i'm looking for some advice.
    Around this time last year I decided to get fitter, I was 16 stone 11 when I started and i'm 12 stone 13 now. I'm in skinny fat mode now, slight bit of belly fat left but nothing significant.

I'm 6'3" and the body fat measurement I got said I was just over 18%.
    I've been running 3 days a week, generally two 5k runs and one 10k for the last year and doing Ice Cream Fitness for the last month or so. I think my diet is decent enough now and i'm trying to burn off more body fat before I try to bulk up a bit.

I'm wondering at what percentage body fat I should start bulking up as after almost conquering the belly I really don't wanna go too soon and start adding inches to it. I've read a lot of contradictory articles online about when to bulk so I'm a little confused now as to what to do.

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated.

Once you are happy with your bf, I'd move to maintenance for awhile for your body to adjust. Once you are consistently able to maintain your new bf levels, lean bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RumHam

Once you are happy with your bf, I'd move to maintenance for awhile for your body to adjust. Once you are consistently able to maintain your new bf levels, lean bulk.

Great thanks for the reply. I'll give that a go. Will probably try to cut a bit more for the next month or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

I'm one of the few that think everyone should 'bulk' when they start off lifting weights, as long as 'bulk' just means a modest caloric surplus and nothing ridiculous. The limiting factor to muscle growth with novice lifters is caloric intake, that changes as a lifter progress because less and less muscle can be put on. It is A LOT easier to lose fat than to gain muscle, so I would take advantage of the speed at which you can acquire muscle as a beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's also worth noting that if you're arelative beginner to weight training, you don't need to go on a big ol' bulk of 400-500 kcals of a surplus a day. It's more about eating the right food, especially plenty of protein*

In the region of 1g per pound of lbm

It's also worth noting that if you're arelative beginner to weight training, you don't need to go on a big ol' bulk of 400-500 kcals of a surplus a day. It's more about eating the right food, especially plenty of protein*

In the region of 1g per pound of lbm

I've been eating about 1800-2000 a day, rarely ever more than 150g of carbs and always at least 170g of protein. Been progressing a bit with the ICF program so hopefully i'll see some results from that.

• Advertisement

RumHam wrote: »
    I've been eating about 1800-2000 a day, rarely ever more than 150g of carbs and always at least 170g of protein. Been progressing a bit with the ICF program so hopefully i'll see some results from that.

You're severely holding back your progress on ICF with an intake like that, but if it's in line with your goals...

You're severely holding back your progress on ICF with an intake like that, but if it's in line with your goals...

Yeah I wasn't sure what amount to eat to be honest. I've probably become a little over cautious about what I eat because I'm wary of going back to the way I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Do people actually rate ICF as a programming?

It looks like a bastardised 5x5

Do people actually rate ICF as a programming?

It looks like a bastardised 5x5

It's 5x5 with more volume and arm workouts. Volume is king. I've never done it but it gets very good reviews. By reading it it seems superior to other 5x5s.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's 5x5 with more volume and arm workouts. Volume is king. I've never done it but it gets very good reviews. By reading it it seems superior to other 5x5s.

Isn't the volume the same as 5x5 on the main lifts, just with some assistance/bro lifts.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Would get to <14% and try to lean bulk for a couple of years

Mellor wrote: »
    Isn't the volume the same as 5x5 on the main lifts, just with some assistance/bro lifts.

Yep, more volume overall.

Advertisement