Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Small Holding - Advice please

Options
  • 20-11-2014 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all – First time post!

Looking for some advice from you.
    I’ve recently bought a house with some land and I am interested in getting some animals to keep on it, I work full time so my time is limited to a small degree.

I had originally planned on buying a couple of heifers, putting them in calf and keeping a small herd but now I don’t think I’d have the time they would need during the winter (Feeding, Mucking Out & Calving)
    Im looking for some different options from you, maybe buying animals in spring and keep them as long as I can on grass and sell them before I would need to bring them in on silage/ meal.

Facilities are
    4.5 acres of good quality fenced land with water supply.
    Animal Shed with 3 holding pens.
    Crush (Currently been repaired)

I’ve also applied for my herd number.
    Also can I apply for any grants and can I claim VAT on anything I buy for the holding?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

It might help if you give us an idea of your motivation?
    Self sufficiency or profit or hobby etc

Buying in a few bullocks in spring to sell on in autumn is questionable. You would be buying at peak and selling at the bottom.
    You would be doing well to break even.

Give us an idea of time commitment and interests

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭case5130

Rare breeds maybe ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

Is it possible to breed just for your own consumption?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bally Bull

marizpan wrote: »
    It might help if you give us an idea of your motivation?
    Self sufficiency or profit or hobby etc

Buying in a few bullocks in spring to sell on in autumn is questionable. You would be buying and selling at the bottom.
    You would be doing well to break even.

Give us an idea of time commitment and interests

Hi marzipan

I suppose it would be a hobby for me but i don’t want it to cost me too much money but it wouldn’t be the end of the world if i were to only broke even.

I would be able to commit enough time every day to ensure their wellbeing but i don’t think i could commit to housing them for the winter.

What are the options if you are to only keep animals for 6 months on the land?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bally Bull

case5130 wrote: »
    Rare breeds maybe ?

Hi Case5130

Would this suit me - just keeping them for 6 months of the year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

I agree, you would be better to grow, rear for your own consumption.
    I can't see the point otherwise.

What sort of land have you? Dry/wet/mixed?

You could plant an acre of woodland for future fire wood? And an orchard.

Maybe keep a very small flock of sheep that would be out all year, to control the grass.
    I can't see the point in having cattle just to lose on them.
    Maybe keep a quiet milk cow for the house? Or a steer to fatten?

What is your personal situation? Do you have family nearby to help out? Do you have a young family to feed?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭case5130

if its only 6 months maybe not rare breeds so ...but two purebred cows be grand could even get into showing if u wanted and just keep the heifer/bull calf for the winter maybe ..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Bally Bull wrote: »

What are the options if you are to only keep animals for 6 months on the land?

Just do summer grazing of a few store bullocks. Few disease problems, a few routine treatments. Grass kept grazed. Maybe buy a few that would fatten off grass and factory them?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Joemassey

you could keep sheep, breed them and have them lambing after the frost and they would do most of it without any assistance in the field,

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LoughConn

You could buy calves now and sell later in the year.

Check out form VAT 58 for details on claiming vat on the revenue site

Lease it for five years tax free

You may qualify for entitlements as a new entrant or young trained farmer. T&C apply. Have you farming course done ? Your salary is probably over 30/40K a year

• Advertisement
Advertisement