Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamburg Marathon

Options
  • 19-11-2014 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

I know this generally clashes with other big European marathons on the same day however I'm surprised there seems to be very little written about the Hamburg marathon on boards.

Can someone please agree or disagree with the immense comments I've already heard about this marathon:
    I believe the course is flat and fast?
    The home support is supposed to be brilliant?
    A really well organised efficient marathon and the city is extremely nice to visit?

The one negative is that they make you pay for your own race t-shirt at €25

Any other pieces of information are most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

The one negative is that they make you pay for your own race t-shirt at €25

Both Dusseldorf and Berlin this year also made you pay extra for t-shirts - It appears it's the custom in Germany!:(

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread but ultimately am unlikely to take part in 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

I wouldn't mind but its €66 for early entry and I thought you would get a tshirt at least for that. Everything else appears to be top notch about the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I am already signed up for this, partly due to the excellent reviews and also because of both of my experiences in Berlin. I don't bother with the t-shirt if I have to pay. I've enough of them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26 George Chinaglia

I ran Hamburg this year. Decent course, flat for the most part (the odd slight drag but nothing significant), it's one to go for if you're looking for a time rather than a particularly scenic route as it really just snakes around the city with a few kms here and there along the lake.

The support is good in spots, a lot more sporadic than Dublin though, quite like Amsterdam if anyone has done that.

The finish is excellent though, really well organised bag drop/pickup, loads of food and beer stalls (most non-alcoholic though).

Hamburg itself is a great city to go for a weekend (I'm actually going back this weekend) and I'd really recommend it if someone's looking to do it.

I have a race report from Hamburg this year for anyone interested, can't link it yet but if you just stick this into the address bar it should be fine:
    try366.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/hamburg-marathon/

Oh, I almost forgot, there's cheerleaders at the finish :)

I did the lot last night - booked my marathon place, accommodation and flights.

Still can't believe more on here haven't done this race giving all the great reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I did the lot last night - booked my marathon place, accommodation and flights.

Still can't believe more on here haven't done this race giving all the great reviews.

I think many people get caught up in the Mega events and forget that there are a multitude of good marathons around Europe. I tend to look at the medium sized ones. The headache of registering for Berlin when I can do Cologne a week later for a quarter of the hassle, that kinda beats me. Of course I could do Metz for 1/10th of the hassle, but there's medium-sized and there's running on your tod around the countryside of Lorraine!

We're spoilt for choice though for sure. Wonder how long that'll last.

Itziger wrote: »
    I think many people get caught up in the Mega events and forget that there are a multitude of good marathons around Europe. I tend to look at the medium sized ones. The headache of registering for Berlin when I can do Cologne a week later for a quarter of the hassle, that kinda beats me. Of course I could do Metz for 1/10th of the hassle, but there's medium-sized and there's running on your tod around the countryside of Lorraine!

We're spoilt for choice though for sure. Wonder how long that'll last.

Interesting points you've raised.

The big marathons are certainly a headache to get into. I tried and failed for London 2015. The likes of Valencia/Hamburg and Dublin are perfect sized marathons to my likening. I crave the buzz of a decent size race with people's excitement filling the air. The though of doing a marthon with 500 odd would hold absolutely no appeal to me.

For anyone interested here is a list of marathon sizes in Europe, some may find it interesting http://www.laufmarkt.de/In-English/European-Marathons;session=f94cb25af08555c38e3bdb32efcfe4bcc91be375&focus=CMTOI_de_dtag_hosting_hpcreator_widget_Download_13939557&path=download.action&frame=CMTOI_de_dtag_hosting_hpcreator_widget_Download_13939557&view=raw?id=153293

Out of a matter of interest why do you think these marathons won't keep on going as the numbers of people entering is on the rise? Is it a case that they are financially difficult to break even with a lack of volunteers? From a tourism point of view Valencia was packed with international runners all staying a few days massively helping the local economy. Surely this would be of greater benefit to the locals and help ease the pain of a few roads being closed for the day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I wouldn't say they'll disappear but I do wonder if the level of interest in running will hold up. it's dipped before and a number of marathons went the way of all flesh...

On the tourism score, Valencia are very aware of this angle and publish a report annually on how much money the marathon brings to the city, a kind of, for every cent invested, we got a return of 'x' cents.

On a personal note, I like to mix and match the sizes of my marathons. Never done a blockbuster yet but I would love to do Boston and/or New York before I retire. The midsize are probably my favourite too although I did Echternach here in Lux one year, there were about 250 people did the full I think. While I was lying by the side of the road with Hamstring cramp no-one passed me for about 5 minutes! A guy on a bike gave me a drop of water and a fruit gel. Perversely, I rather liked that marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mch82

Does anyone know if and when this sells out?

Also can anyone recommend hotels near the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭SharkTale

mch82 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if and when this sells out?

Also can anyone recommend hotels near the start?

The have approximately 2,300 places for the full marathon before it is sold out. Closing date is 26th March if the 18,000 places are not filled prior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Right lads.
    Three weeks to go.
    Who's in? And how's the training going?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭opus

Going to take part in this next April as one of my friends in Germany has never been to Hamburg. So far I've covered Berlin, Dresden & Leipzig marathons plus the Rennsteiglauf ultra in Germany so this is a new one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

opus wrote: »
    Going to take part in this next April as one of my friends in Germany has never been to Hamburg. So far I've covered Berlin, Dresden & Leipzig marathons plus the Rennsteiglauf ultra in Germany so this is a new one for me.

Was looking at this Rotterdam or Vienna. Think I would like the extra two weeks which Hamburg/Vienna give. Thinking of Hamburg as it’s closer in terms of hours on the plane and Aer Lingus flight times seem good Sat - Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Brenny123

Heard great things about Hamburg think I'll go.for it too....any info on Vienna? Thing I don't like about some of these European marathons is they give water in those plastic cups. I end up spilling most of it

The original date was cancelled a few weeks ago, their new plan is Sept 13th. Can also get a refund or cheap entry to 2021 & 2022 if I want. Seeing as they're German one might think that date in Sept is well planned but thinking a refund or deferring to next year might be a better idea :confused:

Refund arrived for the event on Fri, fair play to the German efficient as always.

Read it's going ahead after all in Sept. Glad I went for the refund as if I'm honest my running has been somewhat aimless since lockdown began more to keep my head straight than anything else. Nothing wrong with that of course.

Roll on '21!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Just a question for those of you that have done Hamburg. Various reports have referred to Hamburg as fast and flat, both on their own website and posts on various forums and social media. A bit of a deeper dive on Strava etc would suggest that its got around the same elevation as Dublin so not necessarily as fast and flat as they'd have you belive. Can anyone who has done it comment on the elevation aspect of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭chabsey

Not a particularly helpful reply but I want to add a voice of frustration with those marathons that advertise themselves as fast and flat and yet would have similar profiles to Dublin. I would consider Dublin to be neither fast nor flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Here's a great Hamburg report from a former boards stalwart:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/95234658/#Comment_95234658

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Anbocmorrua

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Brenny123

also doing in this year. Looking forward to it, heard its a great marathon. Any one else done it in the last few years? Also I assume its those impractical cups and not bottles they use at water stations

• Registered Users Posts: 3 markkino

heading over myself Do many Irish do this marathon?

Good luck to any Boardsies doing Hamburg. Looks like it might be a bit damp, which should be no surprise really.

Hope the boardsies who ran Hamburg all ran well. My weather prediction was a bit off in the end it seems. I nearly melted there towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

A few of us came home yesterday after decent outings over there. It got a little too sunny and warm towards the end and did a bit of damage. Great marathon. Nice fast flat route. Pretty well organised. Only criticisms would be the odd relay runner charging through the field and the water stops on one side of the road only. Aside from that, Hamburg is a great spot to spend a few days after a marathon. Easy city to find your way around and the public transport is easy. A lovely parkrun for a few leg loosening miles on the Saturday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

I've just signed up for Hamburg for 2024. Any hotel recommendations that are handy for start / finish area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

https://www.booking.com/hotel/de/scandic-emporio-hamburg.en-gb.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I stayed at a place called Hotel Baseler Hof a while back (not a marathon weekend). A bit old fashioned but comfortable, well located and reasonably priced. Excellent lounge/bar area and lots of eateries around the corner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement