Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low alcohol beer?

Options
  • 18-11-2014 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen any in an off-licence/supermarket? Not talking about no-alcohol ones (vile :eek:) but ones with a low alcohol content, 2% approx.

In Sweden where my partner comes from, it's all you can buy in supermarkets as you have to get the strong stuff in the state run off-licence. It's very common to drink the low stuff at meals and it actually tastes ok :o. I'm trying to cut back on my alcohol consumption but don't want to give it up completely.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There have been a few threads on this. Here, for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Thanks, but I don't drink Ale!

Oh right. It's just that ale is beer. Is it low-alcohol lager you're looking for?

Sorry, yes, it's only larger I'm interested in!

Ah. I don't think you'll have much luck there.

I wouldn't write off ale completely -- it's a very diverse sub-set of beer. There's also Stonewell's Tobairín Cider which is 1.5% ABV.

And don't tell us you don't like cider :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Lidl have a version of their finkbrau lager and its around 2%. They are 250ml bottle and 10 in a pack. Can't remember the price nor do I know what they're like.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Tesco's own brand lager is <3% , I assume it's muck though. there's also Amstel radler, that's more like a shandy I think.

Thanks, I'll try the Tesco one. I think I've tried the Finkbrau before and hated it!

Thanks, I'll try the Tesco one.

Good luck, you'll need it ;)

I'd like to see more decent mid-strength beer available, particularly in pubs. The trend in craft and premium beers is towards stronger 5%+ products, but if you're an ageing lightweight like me, having more than a couple of pints of these is a bad idea.

Currently the only widely available pint under 4% is Smithwicks, which has no flavour whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Wonder what if would be like to just mix a decent 5% lager with equal parts sparkling water...?

• Advertisement

enda1 wrote: »
    Wonder what if would be like to just mix a decent 5% lager with equal parts sparkling water...?

Thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

loyatemu wrote: »
    Thin.

But I've had those 2% Swedish beers, and that's how I'd describe them too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

In Germany, they drink Radler which is Helles and 7up. Its about half beer and half 7up. TBH it isn't bad at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

The German diesels are nice too.
    It's a shandy made with WeisBier and Coke.

I'm not a big coke fan but would always go for a diesel before a regular shandy.

Advertisement