Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low alcohol Ale

Options
  • 28-02-2014 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Is there such a thing here ?? I drink Smithwicks in pubs and at home but want to try lay off it for a while

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

How low are you looking for? The Porterhouse does a bitter that's 3.8% ABV; the FXB pubs in Dublin have a sub-4% house beer. Tesco sometimes carries Lee's Brewer's Dark which is 2.8% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Chopper77

BeerNut wrote: »
    How low are you looking for? The Porterhouse does a bitter that's 3.8% ABV; the FXB pubs in Dublin have a sub-4% house beer. Tesco sometimes carries Lee's Brewer's Dark which is 2.8% ABV.

Anything around 3% or lower. I used to be able to get my hands on Coopers mild ale, which wasn't bad, but not anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Chopper77 wrote: »
    Anything around 3% or lower. I used to be able to get my hands on Coopers mild ale, which wasn't bad, but not anymore.

Would you drink a shandy? What about Guinness mid?

Would you drink a shandy? What about Guinness mid?

Nah I'm only really an ale person

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Chopper77 wrote: »
    Anything around 3% or lower.
    You're out of luck, I'd say. The government halved the excise duty for beers at 2.8% or under a couple of years ago, which means micros would effectively pay a quarter of the full rate, but not a single one of them has picked up on it. Only Diageo makes 2.8% beer in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Dead pony club is 3.8%, not low enough but a nice beer

BeerNut wrote: »
    You're out of luck, I'd say. The government halved the excise duty for beers at 2.8% or under a couple of years ago, which means micros would effectively pay a quarter of the full rate, but not a single one of them has picked up on it. Only Diageo makes 2.8% beer in Ireland.

Cheers. I didn't know that. I guess I was spoiled over in Oz for choice. You could get lost in the size of some of those Dan Murphy's off licences over there

Dead pony club is 3.8%, not low enough but a nice beer

Sure is. Though they get lashed back way too easy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Tesco has a few 2.8% English ales, from big names like Fullers (Atom). Some are very good.

Tube wrote: »
    Tesco has a few 2.8% English ales, from big names like Fullers (Atom). Some are very good.

Thanks I'll see what they have in The Tescos near me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Smithwicks is only 3.8% anyways. Instead of a shandy -before I was suggesting simply watering it down with sparkling water. This sounds odd but many commercial breweries already are fermenting to a high % and diluting down with water afterwards.

I remember drinking 2% beer abroad and liked the fact it kept you so hydrated. I do have glasses of water between beers the odd time, but would prefer if 2% was in pubs here and priced accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

High gravity brewing involves diluting a very heavy bodied and full flavoured beer to arrive at the desired body and flavour. Diluting Smithwicks will leave it with very little body or flavour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Diluting the taste of Smithwicks further would cause it to implode on itself.

You might also consider Thwaites Nutty Black, I've seen in bottles in Dublin upon occasion - possibly in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

I tried a bottle of Tolly English Ale last week, it's just 2.8%, it has bad reviews online but I liked it! :) I got it in Sainsburys in Newry, £1 a bottle. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tube wrote: »
    Diluting Smithwicks will leave it with very little body or flavour.
    Ravelleman wrote: »
    Diluting the taste of Smithwicks further would cause it to implode on itself..
    :) yeah, but remember the best selling beers in this country have little taste! I know people who drink the most tasteless beer they can find, one guy was shocked when he heard I would drink a beer with my dinner and enjoyed the taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Brewdog Dead Pony Club is 3.8% too, and a lot tastier than Smithwicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭matban

Adnams Lighthouse is the nicest low alcohol ale (3.4%) I have ever drank

http://adnams.co.uk/beer/our-beers/adnams-lighthouse/

You will do well to find this in pubs, McHughs off licences stock it on the northside.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ravelleman wrote: »

You might also consider Thwaites Nutty Black, I've seen in bottles in Dublin upon occasion - possibly in Tesco.
    I've gotten it in the Comet off license in Santry, seem to have it permanently. Nice beer.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Zymurgist wrote: »

A similar, better value (500ml bottle) beer is Jarl by fyne ales. Tastes better than Dead Pony IMO. Also 3.8%.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Zymurgist wrote: »

Totally different beer though...

• Advertisement

matban wrote: »
    Adnams Lighthouse is the nicest low alcohol ale (3.4%) I have ever drank

http://adnams.co.uk/beer/our-beers/adnams-lighthouse/

You will do well to find this in pubs, McHughs off licences stock it on the northside.

I seen another Adnams ale in there called Sole Star. 2.7% as well. Think I'll grab some of those the weekend and a couple of the Lighthouse one's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Advertisement