Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesels...... rip?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Click the below link, under "messages & Notifications" "default thread subscription mode" Click the drop down box and select the required option. This should apply for future threads but you'll have to select manually the un-subscribe button of every thread.

So in other words it'll make no difference?!!

Cheers anyway MadLad :)

Jesus. wrote: »
    So in other words it'll make no difference?!!

Cheers anyway MadLad :)

I will make a big difference if the option is to notify you of updates of every post automatically in the first place !

By default you have to select the "follow thread" button for it to notify you of thread updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

walus wrote: »
    What's a point of revving it above 4000rpm? No torque and power there.
    Petrol fumes are also harmful but 20 times less than diesel - that is a big difference. A difference that is responsible for the fact that the quality of air in most european cities is just as bad as it was 15 years ago!
    I would be shocked if they could not improve on an old PD technology in terms of noise etc. It does not change the fact that my statement is true.

Was referring to redline

Couldn't care less about fumes from any type of engine

You'll find my statements to be the same

I don't know Mad Lad. I'm a bit slow on the uptake. All I know is I "unfollowed" last night yet my Inbox this morning was packed full of B.ie emails as usual!

Gazzmonkey wrote: »

With DPF there is no visible fumes from the exhaust

Lol

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Lol

I laughed too the first time I noticed no visible fumes, I thought the exhaust was blocked lol.

MadLad is that you?

I don't know Mad Lad. I'm a bit slow on the uptake. All I know is I "unfollowed" last night yet my Inbox this morning was packed full of B.ie emails as usual!

Don't know what you're at ! :D

MadLad is that you?

jaysus, fair play to the prius. I would have expected it to be a lot worse after that.

The truck driver looks like he was flying ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

jaysus, fair play to the prius. I would have expected it to be a lot worse after that.

Still the other drivers fault. Pulled into the path of the truck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

Your behind the times friend...

A modern diesel is none of these.

My A4 pulls well in boost from 1500rpm up to nearly redline

With DPF there is no visible fumes from the exhaust

With CRTDI it's many times quieter

Regards,

modern diesels, no matter how refined are not as smooth as petrols, my lexus is almost silent compared to diesels.

I had my car just a few weeks, and so quiet it was i once stepped out of it in a car park and was startled at the noise of the diesel rumbling away once i opened the door, it was a good 10/15 feet away from me.

not just a lexus, pretty much any modern petrol is much more refined than a diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

bollok, that is a useless driver , had to be a woman too. The truck had the right of way, anyone with half an eye could see it coming.

pulling out in front of a truck at full throttle is not the smartest thing to do.

Still the other drivers fault. Pulled into the path of the truck.

Absolutely !

Maybe it was the camera that made him look like he was going really fast ?

Still good on the prius taking that impact !

By the way Jesus, no it wasn't me lol

Where was this does anyone know ?

Got to say looking at it again the truck driver was travelling way too fast on that small road.

Seems like dash cams are an excuse for bad driving too, "I'll drive as fast as I can and if a car pulls out in front of me he'll most likely die, what do I care in my big rig ? I got the dash cam to prove it too, no one can see the speed I'm doing is way too fast for this road, the camera will just see a car pull out in front of me, happy days, pedal to the metal, yeeeeee haaaa! "

Some of the comments are hilarious,

lithium mining bla bla, as if the Prius used lithium in it's battery dumb ass !

Then another comment good to hear Slim Dusty playing , who the fack is Slim Dusty ? lol.

I'm guessing it was down in Oz, MadLad

yeah I read that in the comments.

Hachiko wrote: »
    modern diesels, no matter how refined are not as smooth as petrols, my lexus is almost silent compared to diesels.

I had my car just a few weeks, and so quiet it was i once stepped out of it in a car park and was startled at the noise of the diesel rumbling away once i opened the door, it was a good 10/15 feet away from me.

not just a lexus, pretty much any modern petrol is much more refined than a diesel

I would agree 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

walus wrote: »
    I agree - if diesel it has to be an automatic. Takes the clutch and dmf problems out of the equation as well.

The VAG DSG has a DMF ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Sorry if the answer to this is obvious, but do we not still have diesel generated power in Ireland, if so how much better for the environment is an electric car powered by a diesel generator than powered by its own diesel engine

sword1 wrote: »
    Sorry if the answer to this is obvious, but do we not still have diesel generated power in Ireland, if so how much better for the environment is an electric car powered by a diesel generator than powered by its own diesel engine

Why would you want to do this ?

No matter what fuel produces electricity, electrics are far more efficient and power stations have to keep burning fuel at night to be ready for demand.

Huge electricity is consumed to refine petrol and diesel, so this electricity would be far better and more efficiently used by charging batteries.

It also means ev's charging at night can use wind that is otherwise turned off during low demand.

The same with hydrogen, serious energy is used to produce hydrogen, it's getting more efficient no doubt about that but still far off the efficiency of charging batteries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/uk-under-pressure-european-air-quality-ruling

Interesting article from Autocar regarding the affect of diesels on air quality in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/uk-under-pressure-european-air-quality-ruling

Interesting article from Autocar regarding the affect of diesels on air quality in the UK.

Imagine the complete consternation if an action group forced the irish government to penalise daysuls. Chape tax removed from diesels and applied to petrols regardless of engine size and dirty diesels banned from urban areas.

Kabooom, a nation apoplectic with rage, worse than negative equity on a crapbox and water charges combined.

Begrudgery is a terrible thing but it would actually be funny to see the whole diesel/petrol thing reversed overnight. Like flicking a switch the bar stool "you'd be a fool to buy petrol" advice would be turned on its head. People debadging diesel cars and filling tanks in the dead of night trying to convince the neighbours it was a petrol car, sales of acoustic insulation through roof.

Hahaha, some men just want to watch the world burn...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

ultra-low sulphur diesel

We already have ulsd

We already have ulsd
    I think it's a bot. Have a look at other posts. Definitely fails the turing test.

It appears the article only refers to old type diesel engines, nothing to worry about really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Increasing tax on older and dirtier diesel cars would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    No it wouldnt

You're right. Let's just ban them instead.

It appears the article only refers to old type diesel engines, nothing to worry about really.

The whole gist of this thread is that even the latest diesels will struggle to meet nox emissions without ever more expensive tech to mitigate their fundamental nastiness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

The whole gist of this thread is that even the latest diesels will struggle to meet nox emissions without ever more expensive tech to mitigate their fundamental nastiness.

Little turbo petrol burning engine oil because it's maxed out and returns bad mpg in real world isn't the way forward.

Advertisement