Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Pain

Options
  • 17-11-2014 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hello,
    For a long while now ive been having an issue with my back. I dont know how to explain it in a way that people would understand.
    I apply tension and twist and turn my back, shoulders and neck in a weird way so it relieves the pain. Its not pain like when you would hurt yourself, its more of a tingling feeling, itchy and nerve-wrecking and unless I apply tension and twist in ways I wouldnt do normally, it doesnt go away.
    This has been happening repeatedly over months, years even and I always thought it was because my bones were itchy or something. But its gotten to the point where I do it on a daily basis and the tension I put on my back to relieve pain has caused me even worse pain.
    This isnt just with my back, my neck, my shoulders, last night I couldnt get rid of the pain from my collor bone.
    I also find it hard to breath when in the process of twisting my back and one time my neck was frozen in place from my tension and I was in tears trying to get it back.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    Im considering going to the doctors but your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Go to the Doctor. More specifically a good 'Chiropractor Doctor'.

A quick guess would be disc misalignment near the top (most folks have it in lower T3/T4 area) thus trapped nerves and muscular tension to compensate any skeletal imbalance. A quick instant digital x-ray (digital is very low dose) will flash up any issues.

Wrecked the lower back 3yrs ago doing too much surfing/weights/kung-fu (on the same day) after quick x-ray and a few trips to the chiro, came away very educated and recovered, no issues ever since. Good 'core strength' is a baseline health factor.

If nothing is picked up on the Chiro's x-ray then, revert to GP for tests e.g. AS or other auto-immune factors including arthritus etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Stay away from the chiropractor for this one. It does sound a bit like you have some kind of trapped nerve in your neck, and chiropractic manipulation of the neck is associated with increased risk of stroke. They are also a bit trigger happy with the X-rays, which is not a good diagnostic tool for trapped nerves.

Go to a regular doctor or a physiotherapist instead, and they should be able to sort you out. I'd probably go to a physio first.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lolo97

Ive never heard of a chiropractor so I was going to go to my doctor first. Ive been told it might be something with nerves in my back and neck but when I apply tension and twist my body, it feels like my bones are the ones causing the trouble.

Ive caused terrible pain to my upper back and find it hard to move or breathe now.
    Doctors appointment asap I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

To be fair a good Chiropractic Doctor, would have more extensive knowledge, training and professional daily practice than a General Practitioner or someone from high school who's done a Physio course at the local tech. X-ray would help establish the source of underlaying issue and structural defects in the first instance.

Manipulations of the neck or other parts aren't performed until diagnosis and consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Joe Doe wrote: »
    To be fair a good Chiropractic Doctor,

Careful now, referring to a chiropractor as "doctor" gives the impression that they are registered medical practitioners. This is not generally the case.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The op is seeing a doctor. I think thats where this should be left.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement