Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons - The Great Wood

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I understand that, but people have been saying that they menus were pulled from their website so they suspect they may also be increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

They removed the direct links the the menus in the other opened branches on the day the Great Wood opened too.

I was only looking at them the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

I for one will be boycotting said establishment until a satisfactory reason is given for the price difference.
    Disappointing!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

some of the prices in the great wood are ridiculous, i expected these prices for a city center branch its a joke

i know when blackrock opened 1st they flipflopped on the prices initially, then they all dropped back because the bar was empty during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

"No smoking in the beer garden which is a little unorthodox,"

right so I wont be going there and this prices malarkey, they can fook right off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

right so I wont be going there and this prices malarkey, they can fook right off!

There is smoking in beer garden opposite bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's a stroke of genius ! Gives people an opportunity to sit out with food/drink and enjoy the weather without inhaling ****e and coming back reeking of it. Only right.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

[*]No smoking in the beer garden which is a little unorthodox
    Maybe its illegal. I would guess the majority of pubs "beer gardens" or "smoking areas" that I have smoked in was illegal to do so, it would be at least 50/50. There are clear definitions about where you can smoke. Some places take the utter piss.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's a stroke of genius ! Gives people an opportunity to sit out with food/drink and enjoy the weather without inhaling ****e and coming back reeking of it. Only right.

I'd echo that, a smoke-free outdoor area for non-smokers to enjoy is unusual but a unique selling point. Most places don't offer the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭hullabulloo

Not being able to buy a pack of cigarettes in the place too I found to be a bit of a pain. Hopefully they change their pricing policy too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Absolutely shocking.Arrived here 30 mins ago.and was told they are finished serving food.Despite the fact there are signs everywhere stating they serve food until 11pm.Coupled with the price hikes they can get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

Just back.
    Got there at 8.30. So, here we go....
    2 bottles of erdinger left when we got there ( 3 guys ), so I'd the San Mig.
    They ran out of fivers
    They ran out of tenners
    They ran out of glasses (San mig)
    They ran out of food
    There was absolutely ZERO dress code.Some guys really need to get a bang of Gok Wan. And I mean "really!"
    Zero refusals at door.
    Zero I.D requests at bar.
    Very young clientele, too bloody young.
    Place looks great.
    Bouncers done nothing but check out the talent.

I'm sure hope they'll sort out the small issues quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Beta Canis Majoris

I think people are being a little harsh, obviously they will have some teething problems starting out. They are not even open a week. Send them an email, I think in time it will turn into a well run establishment and they seem like the type of company who would listen to customer's grievances.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

@ Dodzy

I dont understand your post..

Fair enough re cash/glasses. Teething issues I hope..

But are you saying that the guys in the bar were not fashionable enough for you and should watch that GickWan guy for tips, or that they were too stylish and should be more relaxed?

Also you complaining that there was too much young talent in the bar, and that the bouncers didnt have their hands full breaking up fights?

R1_Pete wrote: »
    @ Dodzy

I dont understand your post..

Fair enough re cash/glasses. Teething issues I hope..

But are you saying that the guys in the bar were not fashionable enough for you and should watch that GickWan guy for tips, or that they were too stylish and should be more relaxed?

Also you complaining that there was too much young talent in the bar, and that the bouncers didnt have their hands full breaking up fights?

I'll try to simplify it for you.

1. Quite a few lads were dressed like knackers
    2. I never complained about the talent
    3. The bouncers should have been requesting ID from the obvious under aged
    contingent.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

dodzy wrote: »
    I'll try to simplify it for you.

1. Quite a few lads were dressed like knackers
    2. I never complained about the talent
    3. The bouncers should have been requesting ID from the obvious under aged
    contingent.

Maybe the "knackers" hadn't realised Gok Wan and his pals were in for a few glasses of San mig..

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK folks, play nicely before I have to start dishing out some cards. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm surprised that there are obvious underagers there. That's one thing I'd noticed about the door staff in Blackrock, I've seen them very strict on ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

The bouncers should have been requesting ID from the obvious under aged
    contingent.

I don't think it's the bouncers job to check age, surely that's up to the person serving the drink.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Murt10 wrote: »
    I don't think it's the bouncers job to check age, surely that's up to the person serving the drink.

I'd say it's both no??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

SteM wrote: »
    I'm surprised that there are obvious underagers there. That's one thing I'd noticed about the door staff in Blackrock, I've seen them very strict on ID.

Seriously? My cousin is in 4th year and gets in with his friends. Every Friday or Saturday it's full of underagers, really puts me off the place because they can't handle their drink. Dun Laoighre is better in this regard, although I don't go there on the weekends so there might be the same problem there. If you have any ID at all they let you in, borrowing one from an older sibling or mate is easy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Last I heard under 18s were allowed in a pub until 9 pm?

It's up to the barmen serving to check ID unless it's an obvious over 18 venue such as a nightclub etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Heading up this evening, any recommendations for a Carlsberg/Heineken/Turborg alternative?

Assume that’s the idea of weather spoons; try a non-branded cheaper alternative

Murt10 wrote: »
    Normally I'd agree, but the staff are very green and very young themselves. It'd be a tad unfair putting the responsibllity on them in this case.

jeffk wrote: »
    Heading up this evening, any recommendations for a Carlsberg/Heineken/Turborg alternative?

Carlsberg and tuborg are on tap Jeff. Have a sip of staropramen. It's a Czech beer. San Miguel is also palatable. Enjoy.

Carlsberg and tuborg are on tap Jeff. Have a sip of staropramen. It's a Czech beer. San Miguel is also palatable. Enjoy.

Thanks dodzy :cool:

I wanted to go for the full experience and try something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Normally I'd agree, but the staff are very green and very young themselves. It'd be a tad unfair putting the responsibllity on them in this case.

If that's the case they shouldn't be in the job. It is the person working at the bars responsibility to check the person they are serving is of age.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

They have some decent beer on their menu, and while some may be unfamiliar to a lot of people here, there's nothing that would really fall into the non-branded category.

Zaph wrote: »
    They have some decent beer on their menu, and while some may be unfamiliar to a lot of people here, there's nothing that would really fall into the non-branded category.

Well then not he same old drinks, no point going and drinking/paying the same , might as well go the usual places then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

My sarcasm detector is a little offline this morning. Apologies if that's a serious question but are people still under the illusion that carlsberg and heineken are premium products?

Carlsberg is the one of cheapest pints in many pubs over here. It's just a generic mass-produced lager the same as heineken, becks, harp, bud, fosters, stella, miller etc. They all serve a purpose but I see them as a last resort if there's nothing more interesting available. It kind of sickens me when I'm back at home and have to fork out ~€5 for the privilege of not having a decent choice.

Anyway, we popped in to one in Romford yesterday evening after "enjoying" a nice shopping expedition in a million degree heat. It's £1.99 for a can of Bengali (when did they change the can and drop the "Tiger"), it's frankly rude to turn that down. It'll be a shame if the cost of doing business in Ireland forces 'spoons prices up as it'll stop people sampling new beers.

Advertisement