Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what bus routes should be 24 hours?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

devnull wrote: »
    The amount of people working in the airport living in Swords with absolutely no alternative to a taxi overnight means that I'd support a route to Swords calling at the airport from the City Centre or further south.

An extended 16 will solve this while also linking south Dublin to the airport. Remove the Beaumont detour as well

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

IE 222 wrote: »
    An extended 16 will solve this while also linking south Dublin to the airport. Remove the Beaumont detour as well

Absolutely.

I think combining those two routes together would open up a lot of possibilities, not just for parts of South Dublin which don't have access to 24 hour airport services since the Aircoach Balinteer route was cut, but also places on he Northside like Santry and Swords which are very close to the airport but have no service at all after 11pm or so.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You literally took the words out of my mouth.

I've always thought the 16 should be the first route to try it on, but extended to Swords and no side trip through Beaumont.
    Georges St aint as bad as Candem St. but upgrade bus lane to 24hrs and send traffic garda for first couple of weeks and lash out some fines and points and the vultures will move off quick enough.

Sigh, I wish. If they can't be bothered helping with the mess with LCC, no hope of them bothering with this unfortunately. And another thought, I'm sure the taxi drivers would be happy to block it so it fails!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If they were to go with the 41, I think they should re-arrange bus stops, so they overlap with the two other routes in the city center to maximise interchange between them. At least overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

sugarman wrote: »
    41 makes perfect sense, 145 not so much.. would have said the 46a ahead of it. Not sure about the 39.

33 would make more sense. Serves Airport, Swords and out to Lusk, Rush, Skerries and Balbriggan. Fingal is the fastest growing area in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

thomasj wrote: »
    It's only a pilot dublin bus will be running initially so they will be picking 3 routes with potential initially

North - 41 , west - 39 and south - 145

Bigger range by covering the 145 route rather than the 46a initially

Initially yes but just look at the massive influx of students who have moved and will move in and around the north circular around phibsborough,stoneybatter, especially as more and more of the new D.I.T campus comes on line. During the week,who is more likely to use these services and would make it a success? Students,and the 46a links D.I.T and U.C.D...

33 would make more sense. Serves Airport, Swords and out to Lusk, Rush, Skerries and Balbriggan. Fingal is the fastest growing area in Ireland.

Yes, better stop location on O'Connell St too.

Though it might come down to running time, given the length of the route, you might be able to have a 41 do two runs in the time it takes the 33.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

I think the volume of the 16 and 39 may win over.

Sure wasn't there talk of the 39 and 145 merging between 12am and 5am?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Cant see the 33 been included. Fastest growing area doesn't warrant night buses over more densely populated areas.

Maybe a later last bus departure could be arranged (12:30am) could be introduced or train service.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭DUBLINBUSGUY

The 7 would be a good route for the 24hr service. Scrap the 7n and just have a 24hr 7. It could go every 30-45 minutes with buses going via Sallynoggin to Brides Glen. If the 7 was 24hrs would there still be a need for a 24hr 46a? The 7 goes from the city centre through Dun Laoghaire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Any update on these proposals? Bus Connects appears to propose a service extension to 12am but no mention of 24 hour routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭john boye

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Any update on these proposals? Bus Connects appears to propose a service extension to 12am but no mention of 24 hour routes.

Suspect initiatives like this could be on hold atm with bus connects. Although I did read somewhere that it's being planned separately to bc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Was never meant to come in until October in anyway. We might hear in good time.

john boye wrote: »
    Suspect initiatives like this could be on hold atm with bus connects. Although I did read somewhere that it's being planned separately to bc.

I would have thought such an initiative would be part of the bus connects investment. This was announced back in March after bus connects was launched so I would have thought it was part of bus connects.

thomasj wrote: »
    Was never meant to come in until October in anyway. We might hear in good time.

October is only two months away. You'd think the NTA would be trying to advertise the fact as it would gain them some brownie points especially after all the bad publicity BC has been getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

As far as I'm concerned, all public transit (buses, dart, luas) should be open 24/7/365, with higher frequency in busy times, and lower in non-busy times. (Like every 5 minutes in rush hour, every 15 most of the day, every hour in the Dead of night)
    The problem is that what SHOULD be a service to the public, is treated instead as a money-making enterprise.
    Nobody should lose access to public transit because they had to work later than expected.

Heebie wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned, all public transit (buses, dart, luas) should be open 24/7/365, with higher frequency in busy times, and lower in non-busy times. (Like every 5 minutes in rush hour, every 15 most of the day, every hour in the Dead of night)
    The problem is that what SHOULD be a service to the public, is treated instead as a money-making enterprise.
    Nobody should lose access to public transit because they had to work later than expected.

I don't you could make the Luas or the Dart 24 hours because maintence on the tracks, signalling and overhead wires needs to be done at night when trains are not running but you could replace the service with a bus during the night.

There is definitely demand for 24 hour services but not only on the main routes such as the 4, 15, 16, 25a/b, 39a, 46a and 145. Other city centre routes could be extended until about 12.30 or 1 in the morning. Outside the city centre quieter like the 111 for example don't need services any later than at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't you could make the Luas or the Dart 24 hours because maintence on the tracks, signalling and overhead wires needs to be done at night when trains are not running but you could replace the service with a bus during the night.

They manage elsewhere in the world - that it was the reason given for the Tube in London seems to have become pervasive here. Much of the core Tube network - the ancient bits with the heaviest maintenance load at that - is now 24h for part of the week

Night working is more expensive than any other time of day to begin with, quiet weekend closures are the norm here anyway and if something must be done at night you arrange replacement bus services for those nights. There should be weekend night services on Luas and Dublin commuter rail already really.

L1011 wrote: »
    They manage elsewhere in the world - that it was the reason given for the Tube in London seems to have become pervasive here. Much of the core Tube network - the ancient bits with the heaviest maintenance load at that - is now 24h for part of the week

Night working is more expensive than any other time of day to begin with, quiet weekend closures are the norm here anyway and if something must be done at night you arrange replacement bus services for those nights. There should be weekend night services on Luas and Dublin commuter rail already really.

The thing about Night tube it is only Friday and Saturday nights. The Luas perhaps could be doable perhaps but all our railway lines are Victorian so a lot of maintence is required I would imagine. I also don't think the demand is quite there at night for the DART perhaps on Friday and Saturday nights but on ordinary weeknights I wouldn't be so sure.

Remember trains cost more to run than buses an 8 or even a 6 or a 4 car has far more capacity than a double decker bus. I do also some routes could be run differently at night operating as night only routes perhaps Go-Ahead could operate some of these as they will have single deckers as they may not need double deckers at night.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The core Night Tube network is Victorian tunnels - there isn't anything that is going to require more maintenance than that!

2 car DART, 2 car 2700 when they return on the diesel routes would be more than sufficient. People are much more willing to use rail than bus for many, many reasons and you should get the passenger volume to justify it on weekends.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    The core Night Tube network is Victorian tunnels - there isn't anything that is going to require more maintenance than that!

2 car DART, 2 car 2700 when they return on the diesel routes would be more than sufficient. People are much more willing to use rail than bus for many, many reasons and you should get the passenger volume to justify it on weekends.

On weekends yeah you could probably run a 4 car set every hour but I couldn't see there been that much demand for night DARTs during the week. The 2700s won't be used in Dublin when they return to service. They will release the 2800s back to Dublin from Limerick and use the 2700s for Limerick Locals and the WRC.

You cover most of the Southern end of the DART line by running the 7 and the 145 24 hours. I'd wait and see if 24 hour buses are success then you could start looking at ways to run the Dart and the Luas 24 hours. 24 hour running should definitely be an option for Metrolink too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

L1011 wrote:
    you should get the passenger volume to justify it on weekends.

As far as I'm concerned, one person who needs to get from one place to another is justification enough to have at least limited services.

It shouldn't be a matter of "how much does it cost" it should be a matter of "does someone need to get somewhere"

As far as I'm concerned, one person who needs to get from one place to another is justification enough to have at least limited services.

It shouldn't be a matter of "how much does it cost" it should be a matter of "does someone need to get somewhere"

That sounds ok but we need to prioritise limited resources effectively. Night time services need to run where the demand is the highest. It would be a waste of money running every single bus route 24 hours when that money would be better off spent on the daytime network where there is more demand.

Public transport does not rely on individual demand but rather the demand of the multiple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

One person.

That is a very expensive way to ferry one or two people around.

I do drive last busses around mid week and you can literally go passengerless from terminus to terminus on some routes when coming into town.

This 24 hour push seem to be driven by people who are sick of paying taxis big money after the a nights drinking.

Money from the NTA would be better spent on connecting rural areas instead of stripping their service and leaving them isolated, or having to travel miles in the wrong direction to connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

I do drive last busses around mid week and you can literally go passengerless from terminus to terminus on some routes when coming into town.

This 24 hour push seem to be driven by people who are sick of paying taxis big money after the a nights drinking.

Money from the NTA would be better spent on connecting rural areas instead of stripping their service and leaving them isolated, or having to travel miles in the wrong direction to connect.

To be fair, I would guess the reason the last bus into the city is empty is because there is no connecting transport for people to continue their journey.

The last southbound Green line tram which passes through the city at about 00:40 is full, and the last buses on many routes leave town at 23:30 with good loads. Equally, the first buses on many routes are standing room only each morning.

If you work an early shift in places like Cherrywood or Citwest, getting there to start work at 6am is impossible with public transport. That shouldn’t be the case.

Outside the city centre quieter like the 111 for example don't need services any later than at the moment.
    You probably should of named a route like the 59 or something. I personally think that the 111 should operate later. There should be a 111 from Dalkey at 23:30 that goes as far as Loughlinstown Park. Then it operates at 00:30 from Brides Glen to Dalkey.
    Also, the 7 heading into town should operate at 23:45, 00:15, 00:45 and 01:30. Via Sallynoggin (and the 23:15 and the 23:45 7's should go via Loughlinstown Park).

You probably should of named a route like the 59 or something. I personally think that the 111 should operate later. There should be a 111 from Dalkey at 23:30 that goes as far as Loughlinstown Park. Then it operates at 00:30 from Brides Glen to Dalkey.
    Also, the 7 heading into town should operate at 23:45, 00:15, 00:45 and 01:30. Via Sallynoggin (and the 23:15 and the 23:45 7's should go via Loughlinstown Park).

Not many people seem to use the 111. Anytime I see it when I'm in DL there's only ever 2 or 3 on it.

Not many people seem to use the 111. Anytime I see it when I'm in DL there's only ever 2 or 3 on it.

That's because most of the people get on the bus between Dalkey and Glasthule and get off at the stops along the main street in Dún Laoghaire. The bus completely empties out at Stop 3070 at Gamestop. The bus then gets a few getting on at nearly every stop as far as Sallynoggin.

Advertisement