Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking a Marathon.

Options
  • 14-11-2014 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭

One of my big things on my bucket list is to run a Marathon. If I never get to that level through running, for what ever reason, is it frowned upon to walk one? Or walk 75% of it?

I'm just talking about the Irish ones now so I'd imagine there's no time limit on them but if you hobble home after 6ish hours do people reckon you had no business being there? Or is it accepted that maybe people like walking really long distances too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

RonanP77 wrote: »
    One of my big things on my bucket list is to run a Marathon. If I never get to that level through running, for what ever reason, is it frowned upon to walk one? Or walk 75% of it?

I'm just talking about the Irish ones now so I'd imagine there's no time limit on them but if you hobble home after 6ish hours do people reckon you had no business being there? Or is it accepted that maybe people like walking really long distances too?

I know a few people who walked the DCM this year and for the most part got a great reception from the runners. However there are some out there who are really hostile and dismissive of anyone who they perceive to be not trying hard enough. But you get those kinds in all events.

The cut off for the DCM is 7.5 hours, I think to even finish one is a hell of an achievement so it shouldn't matter how you do it, run walk or crawl. Obviously its a major endurance test so you'd need to be fairly sure you can handle the distance but don't let the running snobs put you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

If I never get to that level through running, for what ever reason

What are you talking about? Running a marathon is not a "level". Literally anyone can do it. You just have to train for it.

Why would you want to walk a marathon? What's the point!

Chivito550 wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Running a marathon is not a "level". Literally anyone can do it. You just have to train for it.

This is the kind of attitude I'm talking about. Why should it matter why anyone wants to do it. Does it devalue it for the proper runners or something to have walkers in it? Completing any event is an achievement and it should matter how long you take, just doing it should be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Marathon club of Ireland will give u great help and support

• Advertisement

Come on lads, It's only 5 months since we had this exact same conversation (see link above)

AwJeezNotThisSheetAgain1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

At the moment I couldn't run a marathon because I'm not fit enough. I've never run further than 12k. Of course it's a level of fitness. I had to reach a certain level to run my 1st 5k, 10k, Duathlon, how is being able to run long distances not a level?

As to why I'd want to walk one, well it's the next best thing to running one. I love the buzz around events so really want to be a part of it. If regular injuries meant I could never get to a stage where I could run that far I was just wondering if walking it would be an acceptable alternative.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Completing any event is an achievement and it should matter how long you take, just doing it should be enough.

Absolute rot!

At the moment I couldn't run a marathon because I'm not fit enough. I've never run further than 12k. Of course it's a level of fitness. I had to reach a certain level to run my 1st 5k, 10k, Duathlon, how is being able to run long distances not a level?

As to why I'd want to walk one, well it's the next best thing to running one. I love the buzz around events so really want to be a part of it. If regular injuries meant I could never get to a stage where I could run that far I was just wondering if walking it would be an acceptable alternative.

Check out the Runners Support Page on Facebook, a lot of the people there walked DCM this year, a lot ran too and there is a lot of support, inspiration and encouragement regardless of ability.

Well then sort it out and get fit, instead of looking for short cuts. You might have to wait a few years to be ready to run one but it will be a lot more satisfying when you do. If injuries are a problem then start a strength and conditioning programme and get regular massages.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If you are not fit enough to run it, then I'm sorry, but you are not fit enough to walk it.
    Train to run it, you can go from 0 to 26.2 in 5/6 months if you dedicate yourself to the training along with eating and sleeping well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

There is no reason in the world why you can't run a marathon OP by this time next year or sooner. There is not really (or should not be) any big mystique around running a marathon.
    The thing is that most people (anyone who hasn't done one and doesn't run much) are of the opinion that it's this magnificent other-worldly feat whereas in reality it's not really.

You're running already so just keep plugging away at it and you could run the whole thing next year if you're consistent with the training between now and then and train sensibly so you don't get injured. Most people have started from where you currently are at.
    DCM allows walkers but I don't understand why you'd wanna walk it if you could run it. I'm sure you'd rather run it than walk it?
    It'd be a much bigger achievement imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Check out the Runners Support Page on Facebook, a lot of the people there walked DCM this year, a lot ran too and there is a lot of support, inspiration and encouragement regardless of ability.

Why would a lot of people on a runners support page be walking ?

Imo running a marathon is more of a mental challenge than a physical one. You're running already so you have a good base to start from. As the others have said there is no reason to sell yourself short and think you can't do it, you probably would surprise yourself. The big thing is finding and sticking to a training plan and taking care of your diet and general health. Once you can do that the rest is pretty easy.

But if you need the mental security of knowing you can walk it if you have to its good to know its allowed.

Race walking would be an acceptable alternative. I'd imagine running it would be easier though.

Why would a lot of people on a runners support page be walking ?

They are not but they couldn't run the full 26m and ended up walking parts of it. No one made them feel like a time waster either. You'd think we'd be trying to encourage people. This is the reason why I hate this forum sometimes. Its so off putting to novice runners.

They are not but they couldn't run the full 26m and ended up walking parts of it. No one made them feel like a time waster either. You'd think we'd be trying to encourage people. This is the reason why I hate this forum sometimes. Its so off putting to novice runners.

This is different. Plenty of people who trained to run it and had a bad day ended up walking the last few miles. That's not the same as setting out to walk the whole thing from the start.

This is the reason why I hate this forum sometimes. Its so off putting to novice runners.

God I couldn't disagree with you more. I was where the OP is a couple of years ago. I got SO MUCH encouragement from this forum and it supported me from running for 60 seconds at a time (couch to 5k) to running 26.2 without stopping 2 years later.

Bottom line is this is a running forum and we want everyone to run if they can.

Big big difference between setting off to walk the entire thing and having a go at running but having to walk some of it.

And ironically enough since you are holding me up as an example I ended up walking quite a lot of DCM this year myself. It's a running forum. Novice runners are very welcome. A novice runner by definition has a go at running surely ?

To be fair, novice runners shouldn't be doing marathons, especially if they are not fit enough or done enough training to run one.
    I say that as a former novice runner who made the mistake of going straight to a marathon.

• Advertisement

Well the hope is to run one (hopefully a lot more than that if I enjoy it as much as I expect) so obviously I'd prefer that. I'm not looking at walking it as a shortcut, that's an odd thing to say.

I started running about 8 months ago, I've already missed 2 months of that and now I'm missing at least one more. I'm getting Physio at the minute for numerous injuries. Some of the lads at work have been telling me to give up on the Marathon dream altogether. It just had me thinking that if running wasn't going to happen, I could still do it, just slower.

I know it takes a lot of work and the plan is always 3 days running a week + 1 day working out in some other way so I'm not lazy.

Ososlo wrote: »
    God I couldn't disagree with you more. I was where the OP is a couple of years ago. I got SO MUCH encouragement from this forum and it brought me from running for 60 seconds at a time (couch to 5k) to running 26.2 without stopping 2 years later.

Bottom line is this is a running forum and we want everyone to run if they can.

One of my first experiences here was posting after my first half and complaining about lack of water for people at the back of the pack and being told to run faster in future. I guess it depends on who replies to you but that put me off.

I started running about 8 months ago, I've already missed 2 months of that and now I'm missing at least one more. I'm getting Physio at the minute for numerous injuries. Some of the lads at work have been telling me to give up on the Marathon dream altogether. It just had me thinking that if running wasn't going to happen, I could still do it, just slower.
    Absolute horsesh1t
    Course you can run one. Sounds like you need to just train a bit smarter to avoid the injuries.

Well the hope is to run one (hopefully a lot more than that if I enjoy it as much as I expect) so obviously I'd prefer that. I'm not looking at walking it as a shortcut, that's an odd thing to say.

I know it takes a lot of work and the plan is always 3 days running a week + 1 day working out in some other way so I'm not lazy.

Plans normally have 4-5 days running.

If you are carrying numerous injuries and missing months at a time chances are you are trying to build mileage too fast and are possibly carrying too much weight. Take a long term approach. Increase mileage gradually giving time for the body to adapt and recover. Then run a marathon. Your fall back should be to take longer to get ready to run, not to walk it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

Chivito550 wrote:

Well said!

Concentrate on getting yourself fit and healthy first, then get into a good routine of running week in week out. Do 5ks and 10ks and improve your times then maybe onto a HM in a year or so, then repeat to improve your times.

Thinking about running Marathons from a position of multiple injuries is not good. Training for one from a low base will lead you to further injuries so take your time. That might take a few years but it will be much better than to jump from zero to marathon training and getting injured.

Plenty of really good runners on here have been running for years and have never run a marathon. It's not the be all and end all. For example a sub 6 minute mile, a sub 20 minute 5k or a sub 45 minute 10k is a much more impressive achievement than say a sub 4 Marathon.

One of my first experiences here was posting after my first half and complaining about lack of water for people at the back of the pack and being told to run faster in future. I guess it depends on who replies to you but that put me off.

That's a shame. Try not to let one or two posts like that put you off.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Plenty of really good runners on here have been running for years and have never run a marathon. It's not the be all and end all. For example a sub 6 minute mile, a sub 20 minute 5k or a sub 45 minute 10k is a much more impressive achievement than say a sub 4 Marathon.

The ironic thing is that it takes most people until after their first marathon to realise this! Me included! I see it year after year on this forum!

I prefer longer slower runs, I enjoy them. I suppose the intention is to go back and improve the shorter distances after that.

Is a 6min mile not handy enough to achieve?

• Advertisement

I prefer longer slower runs, I enjoy them. I suppose the intention is to go back and improve the shorter distances after that.

Is a 6min mile not handy enough to achieve?

If you're a sub 21 min 5k runner maybe!

Advertisement